Star of Indiana 1993: Revisited

In 1993, Star of Indiana performed their last, most famous and probably their most controversial show in their brief history. It stirred the pot in the drum corps community and made a lot of people angry; but now, this show has become a favorite among drum corps fans, some of whom claim it's the greatest show of all time.

Well, I took another look at this show just a few moments ago to remind myself of what the big hub-bub was all about. I saw it once before and it didn't do much for me. I didn't feel angry or betrayed...I just felt rather indifferent about it; but I thought taking a second look after a few months would give me a new perspective on the show.

I was wrong.

Actually, I take that back. I wasn’t completely wrong. I now have a new appreciation for the drill and I really liked the way the show ended; but apart from that, I just...didn't enjoy the show too much. I didn't hate it, I didn't love it. I just felt indifferent, like the last time. Maybe it's one of those "You had to be there" situations. I don't know. Maybe I'm just a low brow philistine who hates anything (drum corps related) that won't make me deaf if I put my speakers up half way. I don't know.

So, what do you guys think of it?

Oh, and mods, if this topic has been done to death, please close it.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it has been done to death...but oh well, not a problem. Why not talk about it one more time?

Bill Cook's Star of Indiana Recollections (available at starofindiana.com, click on "history," click on "Star of Indiana Recollections") is the definitive online insight into this show. Read both recollections for 1992 and 1993. I will say here as a kind of teaser: Cook says that 93 was not designed to be "liked" in the traditional drum corps sense.

There are certain elements in every drum corps show that every fan expects, just like there are certain elements in an episode of Law and Order, a romance novel, a quest story, a symphony, or any kind of genre you can imagine. Star 93 rearranged or flat out ignored the traditional narrative continuity of a drum corps show which did not endear them to many people.

With an understanding of this and repeated viewings, I think this show has grown on many people who didn't like it when they first saw it. Big speakers also help. :)

Edited by mfrontz

If you read the thing, Bill Cook says that he didn't enjoy the show either.

In fact, it got him irritated, which was what it was supposed to do. :)

So...was this show created out of spite?

No, it was created as an experiment into the idea that music can create an emotional response.

Since this show didn't follow the normal flow of a drum corps show:

A. Introduction B. Opener C(D). Production Piece D©. Ballad E. Closer

and have the right areas to have the musical and visual climax and high-points, the result was a drum corps show that held onto you and beat the #### out of you!

If you listen to it, the show is soft and totally changes each time you get used to it. Then it builds and finally................................................................ soft again.

Yes, it was suggested by Bill that this show was Jim Mason's revenge upon the drum corps community for rejecting the 1992 show, which was awesome, except for the feet. The individual visual was the only problem Star had.

I think the idea is more that having tried to play to the crowd in 1992 and not getting any love for it, Jim Mason, the director of Star, felt that he no longer needed to try and please a crowd who was set on hating Star anyway. He felt free to explore a show design that would not be "pleasing" in the traditional sense.

But I wasn't there. I'm just going by intuition and what Cook said on his site. He says "I guess it was Mason's revenge," but I don't think you get that creative a product just by thinking about how to get back at the fans.

Edited by mfrontz

I respectfully disagree that the only thing "non-awesome" about the 1992 show was the feet. The program itself was cheese, cheese, and some cheese on top of the cheese. Very, very well-played cheese.

I was never "there" for 1993, but, except for the stupid symmetrical pit, I loved it from the first time I saw it. It sounds like Bill Cook et al are being disingenuous with the whole "you're not supposed to like the show" thing. Sounds like Henry James dismissing his own novels as page-turners and rags. It sounds like a quote to get people talking.

Whatever, I love the show. I love the starkness of the uniforms, the extraordinary level of difficulty, the fact that someone finally played Bartok, the phenomenal level at which they finally executed, pretty much everything. Except the stupid symmetrical pit.

See, and that's the thing! I want to get into this show, knowing the story behind it. I really want to like this show but I just CAN'T. Maybe if I watch it a few more times...

I respectfully disagree that the only thing "non-awesome" about the 1992 show was the feet. The program itself was cheese, cheese, and some cheese on top of the cheese. Very, very well-played cheese.

I was never "there" for 1993, but, except for the stupid symmetrical pit... Except the stupid symmetrical pit.

Why you hatin on symcal pits?

Oh, btw, I just had the oddest craving. I was sitting in the library when I had the oddest craving for La Fromage...

monty_cheese.jpg

Edited by 3rd_Star_Brigade

Why you hatin on symcal pits?

Oh, btw, I just had the oddest craving. I was sitting in the library when I had the oldest craving for La Fromage...

monty_cheese.jpg

I'D LIKE TO BUY SOME CHEEEESE!