I also thought Henry's brother played snare with Selden ... don't recognize the other names ...

Henry had two brothers march with Selden. Freddie played snare from 58 till 61. I'll say the snare line for 61 was Henry, Freddie and John Bailey. Bailey I think was 61 and 62. Wonder what the perc sheet was for the 61 Dream. John Gumbus played soprano in 63 and 64, or so the Selden site list says. I don't recall John there in 63 and 64 but again, long time ago. The list does have errors.

Henry was one of a kind in many ways. Bus trips were always interesting with some of the things he did out the windows. He had a buddy I think from Port Jeff named Bob Curtis. Those two were the Manny and Ralph (Sky) of Selden. Without the line-ups of course. :w00t:

Edited by gsksun4

Hey, Glenn, here I am. I was out of the loop for a bit, and as Nanci said, have been on Facebook more than here. I've become somewhat addicted to "Words With Friends" on there! (I started playing that as a diversion during some difficult time in January and February when my dad suffered a stroke and eventually passed away.)

Meanwhile, we've also been busy getting new music ready to start the new season next week at the Dixie Stinger. I hope to see a lot of folks there. If all continues to go well, I'm also expecting to be back on the field this season. :thumbup:

john i'm so sorry for your loss. i know how bad you must feel. you will be in my thought john. be at peace my friend.

Hey, Glenn, here I am. I was out of the loop for a bit, and as Nanci said, have been on Facebook more than here. I've become somewhat addicted to "Words With Friends" on there! (I started playing that as a diversion during some difficult time in January and February when my dad suffered a stroke and eventually passed away.)

Meanwhile, we've also been busy getting new music ready to start the new season next week at the Dixie Stinger. I hope to see a lot of folks there. If all continues to go well, I'm also expecting to be back on the field this season. :thumbup:

Looking forward to see you there!!! (with name badge of course! thumbup.gif)

Sorry to hear about your dad John. Going thru a rough time with in-laws here and can feel the pain and frustration. Hope to see you at the York show as Kris and I are missing the Stinger this time.

sorry to hear about your dad John, but cool you'll be back in action!

OK, Lil Selden perc info: On snare we had Henry Gumbus, he did march Sky 70's, Jimmy Gould, and Dave Long. Think Dave marched Sky at some point. Dave and Jimmy were cousins. There was an alt. Stan Vogt, but he wasn't around much that I recall. Tenors were Don Menell, Butch Good and Rich Searles. I guess the tenors could play snare if needed because on breaks, they would turn those old sticks with the felt tips around and imitate snares.

I will say, they were a tight knit group and very talented. Eric made sure of that. They didn't have the turnover the horn line and guard did.

OK, so back to the feature of Andy. I only know Andy through this thread and 1969 was too many years ago. Even though we competed against each other many times, I must admit, I wasn't watching his drum line. I was too preoccupied with PAL's guard. Their precision of course. Heh.

Dave was supposed to be the 6th snare in '66 but got an invite from Uncle Sam, in late Spring, to join the festivities in SE Asia and he never marched with the competing corps. He and his cousin Jimmy Gohl marched Sky Alumni for many years. Jimmy is now somewhere in Florida and Dave is now in Texas. He and Jimmy have lost touch with each other since the moves. Hank and I played next to each other in '75 and '76. He continued for a couple of years after I 'retired' from the field corps. All 3 were great guys and great drummers. Perhaps Eric was also thinking of Stan and possibly getting Hank's brother out of retirement.

At any rate, Eric was a tough instructor; he used to tell us at rehearsal at Saldarini Post that "this isn't a democracy! When you come into this room, it's a dictatorship!". And he was!!!

• Like 1