Check out their unis from the 70's sometime...they are a riot!!

Very progressive. Very innovative. But nowadays, nearly everyone wears bibbers.

tri town was a piece of work... "the hoe down corps" really quite imaginative and ahead of its time...

clue... while some of us miss him greatly - however, Kevin Hassan will REALLY miss him the two weeks before Annapolis...

also, he drove like a maniac... almost as bad as Hardy (his mentor)

Also, member WDCHOF

• Like 1

The young lady who won something like $1,100 from the 50-50 drawing at last year's DCA Finals...

She was this man's granddaughter.

He was as proud as proud could be that his grandkids were helping out at the show that weekend.

• Like 1

Geneva Appleknockers...1970...We had lost our drum major in the middle of the season ( a very good one BTW)Our hero, he was helping Hardy Carrasas with the drill.Someone had the bright idea of putting him in. He reluctantly agreed, but was nervous. I was doing the hornline at the time and said don't worry...I'd come to his house everyday that week and help him. Everything clicked for him except a conducted solo part(Which I played) after the concert into You Made Me Very Happy.I told him not to worry, just keep a consistent slow tempo and when I go for the double F ...I'll cue you and you yell "Mark time move!" the drums will beat 4 and we're in...Piece of cake.

Show day...horns and drums were having an ensemble tear issue and it took us all day to fix it...I never warmed up and did the show cold.

As we were walking onto the field, the chief judge, John Laskowski said hello to him and asked him what he was doing in uniform as he had just taken his judging test and you have to be over 21 to be a judge...obviously overage...he replied..."Oh just marching.... among other things"...and then he moved to the center of the field called the corps to attention, dressed them, and took the drum major position, winked at John,and promptly saluted....LOL...then he yelled "Mark time move " and we were off....John was fuming....LOLOL

He was awesome...it was going great...after the OTL, he got into the swing of things and actually showboated a bit...It's all good!..Up comes my solo...he even had a smile of confidence on his face until I went for the double F and nothing but air came out...LOLOL...He stared at me in horror...I gave him a fast cue with my horn, he gave the command and it worked out. He did a great job!

Here's the kicker...Didn't he get best drum major that night too!?!....It still brings tears to my eyes...It took him awhile to get back in good graces with the judging community, but he did and he was an excellent judge too!

• Like 1

Geneva Appleknockers...1970...We had lost our drum major in the middle of the season ( a very good one BTW)Our hero, he was helping Hardy Carrasas with the drill.Someone had the bright idea of putting him in. He reluctantly agreed, but was nervous. I was doing the hornline at the time and said don't worry...I'd come to his house everyday that week and help him. Everything clicked for him except a conducted solo part(Which I played) after the concert into You Made Me Very Happy.I told him not to worry, just keep a consistent slow tempo and when I go for the double F ...I'll cue you and you yell "Mark time move!" the drums will beat 4 and we're in...Piece of cake.

Show day...horns and drums were having an ensemble tear issue and it took us all day to fix it...I never warmed up and did the show cold.

As we were walking onto the field, the chief judge, John Laskowski said hello to him and asked him what he was doing in uniform as he had just taken his judging test and you have to be over 21 to be a judge...obviously overage...he replied..."Oh just marching.... among other things"...and then he moved to the center of the field called the corps to attention, dressed them, and took the drum major position, winked at John,and promptly saluted....LOL...then he yelled "Mark time move " and we were off....John was fuming....LOLOL

He was awesome...it was going great...after the OTL, he got into the swing of things and actually showboated a bit...It's all good!..Up comes my solo...he even had a smile of confidence on his face until I went for the double F and nothing but air came out...LOLOL...He stared at me in horror...I gave him a fast cue with my horn, he gave the command and it worked out. He did a great job!

Here's the kicker...Didn't he get best drum major that night too!?!....It still brings tears to my eyes...It took him awhile to get back in good graces with the judging community, but he did and he was an excellent judge too!

ROFL!!!

Excellent!! Thanx for sharing!!!

Our hero was also the drum major for the Shortsville Shamrocks. They made a trek to compete in the Nationals in Cleveland one year in the 60's. They were marching in the parade...at that time there 50 divisions (For all of the States) and they had all of their respective drum corps, bands, etc for each state in each division. As you can imagine...it was huge. As the Shamrocks were marching down one of the main drags 2 drunk legionnaires were at a corner and our hero overheard one of them saying "Who's this?"The other one said" Why that's the Shortsville Shamrocks you ninny!" Our hero was so overcome with emotion...here they were...hundreds of miles from home and someone knew of the Shamrocks. He had the corps play a number on the spot. Only later.... did he realize that the reason the drunk knew their name was because it was written on their bass drum head...LOL

One more...When people at home wanted to know how they did competing...Our hero told the local townsfolk that they had won Inspection, closely beating out the Chicago Cavaliers. The town was overjoyed and had a huge party for them...and we know how much our hero loved parties.

• Like 1

Geneva Appleknockers...1970...We had lost our drum major in the middle of the season ( a very good one BTW)Our hero, he was helping Hardy Carrasas with the drill.

Wasn't Hardy's daughter the DM around that time?

Wasn't Hardy's daughter the DM around that time?

oh man... do I have a "Hardy's daughter" story, but I'm not sure it's appropriate for here... plus Hardy isn't our feature

anyway, if anyone cares, Hardy was at the show Saturday night and seems quite well...

oh man... do I have a "Hardy's daughter" story, but I'm not sure it's appropriate for here... plus Hardy isn't our feature

anyway, if anyone cares, Hardy was at the show Saturday night and seems quite well...

Understood...

I only asked because I had a *major* crush on her back when I was with the Royaleers...

(Sigh)

Edited by Diceman