>>I mean I got fired a lot, but I can usually sort of keep the years straight...<<

According to your bio on the Hurcs HOF site, you were there in the late 70's through 82 and then back in 85 ...

:-)

Yeah, got fired during 82/83 winter. Went back in 85. Might have quit after 89, don't remember - maybe Vic knows - went to Sun in '90then Crossmen, then Boston.

Helped out with Hurcs during the early and mid-90s.

You know you're old when you can't remember the years.

Been a loooong, good road.

Russo was DM in 1983. then went back to Cabs in 84. We played some of the 1982 show that year, but added Hallelujah Chorus to the mix..and different closer

1984 George Maloney and I took over as DM, and new staff, Music was Great Gates, Gumby Cats, Rhapsody and Hang em high

Picture is Frank Dorritie!! He helped us regroup after an almost disastrous winter.. He was a great asset to the rebuild and reboot of the Hurricanes and will be forever grateful!

Help me here - how many times did YOU fire me, and which years?

I tend to get confused it happened so many times.

Yeah, got fired during 82/83 winter. Went back in 85. Might have quit after 89, don't remember - maybe Vic knows - went to Sun in '90then Crossmen, then Boston.

Helped out with Hurcs during the early and mid-90s.

You know you're old when you can't remember the years.

Been a loooong, good road.

I KNOW ALL ABOUT THE BRAIN NOT FUCNTIONING. MY BRAIN IS LIKE A SIEVE.

AW MAN MY CAPS BUTTON IS STUCK. TIME TO FIX MY KEYBOARD AGAIN. GOTTA STOP GETTING CRUMBS IN IT.

• Like 1

Russo was DM in 1983. then went back to Cabs in 84. We played some of the 1982 show that year, but added Hallelujah Chorus to the mix..and different closer

1984 George Maloney and I took over as DM, and new staff, Music was Great Gates, Gumby Cats, Rhapsody and Hang em high

Picture is Frank Dorritie!! He helped us regroup after an almost disastrous winter.. He was a great asset to the rebuild and reboot of the Hurricanes and will be forever grateful!

So my guess of Ironlips was correct?

Yes, Ray.

You were corect. This was my "15 Minutes of Fame", Hurricanes Style.

I only marched the one show, DCA '77. It was really so we could put the most people possible on the field. I had no business being a drum major, but couldn't learn a real spot in an afternoon. Hanging out in "the pit", hadn't been invented yet. In fact, the pit hadn't been invented yet. (Some, including me, could easily have lived without it, actually.)

In a way, the Hurcs were responsible for my moving to CA. They forgot to pick me up the previous afternoon at the airport, so I hung out for a few hours at the bar with Wayne Downey, who was suffering the same fate at the hands of the Rochester Crusaders. (No respect.)

"What are you doing music-wise with Garfield next year?", he asked. I told him I had decided to hang up the maroon and gold to concentrate on grad school at Boston University. "Well", he continued, "Jim Ott is leaving to start this corps in Atlanta and the Blue Devils need another brass teacher. Why don't you take this semester off and just come out for the winter?"

That winter was 37 years ago. I never left.

I think it is I who owes the Hurcs, Vic.

• Like 2

Funny story - amazing how often that kind of disrespect has occurred.

I was with Eric Rosen in Oklahoma City the night Boston unloaded his stuff in the parking lot and took off.

"Those ########!" Never forget it.

In drum corps you don't just get dumped... they run you over, then back up to make sure they got you.

BU huh? You would have beat my wife there - she did her BM in '84 and her MMus in '87.

You'd probably be working for the Sox now!

So my guess of Ironlips was correct?

and you're in big trouble, too, Mister!

Flowers played set that year if I recall

My son just texted me that Gene Bennett has passed away.

If his information is correct, the activity has lost a giant, and many of us have lost a good friend and mentor.

I remember giving Gene a hard time about teaching Cabs. I said, "They went out of their way to make sure that you couldn't march there, well into the 70s"

Gene's response? "Fallon, if I held a grudge against everyone that's been unfair I wouldn't have anyone left to talk to..."

I'm at a loss for words right now. One of my heros, way back to the age of about 14 or 15.

The embodiment of grace and class. Helped bring Sunrisers, an organization he loved, back to legitimacy in the 70s.

His son Gene marched with my son Kevin in Crossmen...

Ah man... Dorritie will do a better job explaining Gene on these pages. I'm just totally bummed.

• Like 3