been reading and reacting to current news on this thread.....sorrow at the passing of Red Corso, joy that Tony White celebrates a birthday, seeing some very good commentary about how we learned to 'perform' as soloists, etc.....so please indulge this old person's personal experiences.

Frank and Ray have hit the nail on the head with the emulation factor. Look at the soloists names mentioned. All were/are exceptionally talented players. One common attribute of all is that they could literally "make their horns talk". Each of them communicated and emoted thru their music. A benefit to some students of the greats was purely logistic.....e.g. location....location...location. My personal experience being a Philly kid in a drum corps family was a big factor. Having a father who was a fantastic bugler and champion of the activity helped my exposure. The Philly area alone boasted many accomplished solo players....and I could actually sit in front of them to hear what and how they did their playing. Supplementing the 'masters classes' there were the 45's and 33 1/3 recordings of some really great corps and soloists like Princemen (Jimmy 'PooPoo' Murphy, Geneva Appleknockers (Frankie Farr), Garbarina (Harry Hazelwood et ux et al) and many others.....all preFleetwood. Little did I realize in the early 50's that one day I could be on the field competing against them with a corps that had a plethora of fine individual players.

Thanx for reading my ramblings.....eyes are getting tired......so for some who were blessed with an ability to experience first hand, up close and personal, I guess the luck of being in the right place at the right time was a big factor in giving some of us wannabe's an idea or a template to follow. I thank God that I had/have an opportunity to thank the many 'teachers' in my life for sharing their 'soul' with the fans and me

Guido

• Like 1

Been sneaking around YT and there's a guy Charles Frost putting up some great stuff lately. For instance, Sky 63 Miami. Swan and Martin lighting it up all over the place.

And Down By the Station still remains one of my favorites. Oh, and TM t-tonguing the beginning of the exit like nobody's business. There's also a 67 Sky indoor recording.

Didn't put a link because I'm not sure it's allowed lately, but pretty easy to find.

Edited by gsksun4

Been sneaking around YT and there's a guy Charles Frost putting up some great stuff lately. For instance, Sky 63 Miami. Swan and Martin lighting it up all over the place.

And Down By the Station still remains one of my favorites. Oh, and TM t-tonguing the beginning of the exit like nobody's business.

That's a great recording of Sky. What a terrific sound, especially when you consider the instruments they were playing were basically tin cans with valves in those days. LOL.

I'm with you on Down by the Station...a Dreitzer classic!!!

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

That's a great recording of Sky. What a terrific sound, especially when you consider the instruments they were playing were basically tin cans with valves in those days. LOL.

This fellows put up a lot of classic recordings and mentions Stetson D. Richmond and their Jersey address. Maybe he worked with them, I don't really know, but there's some great recordings from early 60's.

In that Miami recording you can hear that outrageous French horn section Sky had in the opening fanfare. Pepe, Buddy Perry, Chuck Ohlmiller, etc.

Edited by gsksun4
  • Like 1

This fellows put up a lot of classic recordings and mentions Stetson D. Richmond and their Jersey address. Maybe he worked with them, I don't really know, but there's some great recordings from early 60's.

In that Miami recording you can hear that outrageous French horn section Sky had in the opening fanfare. Pepe, Buddy Perry, Chuck Ohlmiller, etc.

Neil Golding was also in the 63 FH line ... then went back to Selden for 64 ... resurfaced with Sky in 71-72 ...another good horn player that lefft us all too early

• Like 1

Reply is acting strange here lately, oh well.

The Golding brothers, Neil and Kevin were from Huntington, L.I. and lived not far from the Kirk brothers, Pat and Billy. The Kirk brothers also were baritone and French horn players.

Selden had a lot of brother combo's, the most famous being the Adams brothers, Pat, Paul and Jeff. I recall Paul playing with Sky on contra. Pat, Paul and Jeff growing up used to bench press each other for fun. We could have used them in 65 when our practice turned into a gang war with the locals who thought we were the high school band.

They found out they were wrong. ;)

Reply is acting strange here lately, oh well.

The Golding brothers, Neil and Kevin were from Huntington, L.I. and lived not far from the Kirk brothers, Pat and Billy. The Kirk brothers also were baritone and French horn players.

Selden had a lot of brother combo's, the most famous being the Adams brothers, Pat, Paul and Jeff. I recall Paul playing with Sky on contra. Pat, Paul and Jeff growing up used to bench press each other for fun. We could have used them in 65 when our practice turned into a gang war with the locals who thought we were the high school band.

They found out they were wrong. ;)

... and the Auster bros ... and the Gumbus boys ... and the list goes on and on for Selden ... truly a "neighborhood" corps of the 50's and 60's ... interestingly, all of the "brother" acts from Selden did not go to the same Sr. corps ...

:-)

... and the Auster bros ... and the Gumbus boys ... and the list goes on and on for Selden ... truly a "neighborhood" corps of the 50's and 60's ... interestingly, all of the "brother" acts from Selden did not go to the same Sr. corps ...

:-)

Many don't know Frank Buscemi's brother Joe, first sop. Paul Auster's brother Robby played French horn. And yes, during the 50's, there were many from the actual small town of Selden. I know the Guacci family and Caliguri's were and Joe Calisto, preceding Bunce was.

And if you liked "Down By the Station" you probably dug "Old MacDonald's Farm" over on the Island in 1965. I know I did.

• Like 1

where did everybody go? to reading to see the big bad mighty battle? tsk.