I did forget the Riptides... can't even think of where they were located. It has a vaguely South Shore connection in my brain.

St Martin's and St Andrew's Bridgemen had a huge on-field fight at the GSC champs retreat in 69, and the St Martin's moderator immediately disbanded the corps.

I guess they lost, huh?

• Like 1

almost every church in Queens had a musical corps at that time , I remmber doing the Memorial Day Parade in Queens Villiage,I marched with Saint Pascal Baylon at the time ,we where set to move out ,and had to step top side to let another corps go ahead of us .That was the Queensmen coming thur like a power house ,I finished the year with Pascal's and joined the Queensmen .

Yes, that is why I say we here in Jersey were Spoiled. Between Newark Schools Stadium, Clifton Stadium, and Roosevelt Stadium. We could see TOP shows almost EVERY weekend. The Jersey U.S.Top Corps mixed with some Top LINY Corps, and the just below that level Corps. Also think of Roosevelt Stadium had shows like: The Preview of Champions, The Dream, VFW Nationals, The World Open, and the DCA Championships.

Then also TWO of those shows( DREAM & Preview) Were with National Corps added in. (Chicago Cavies, Casper Troopers, Skokie Vanguard, St. Kevin Emerald Knights, Boston Crusaders, St. Catherine's Queensmen, Selden Cadets, Toronto Optimists, ETC) in The Dream and Preview of Champions. Every Year

We got to see the Best of the Best down to the Local type corps Every weekend.

(AND we have not mentioned the Senior scene much also with the Best of the Best.)

Edited by 2B or not 2B

Benny Sudano's Riptides. Amityville, LI. Ya gotta give a guy like Benny credit. He worked tirelessly with not much to work with. He never gave up.

Benny was a drummer with Guy Lombardo's orchestra out at Jones Beach but spent many hours with his corps. They were a small parade corps and I'm not sure if they ever made the field but again, there was talent there that would move on up to a different level. One in particular was a snare drummer named Jimmy O'Hara. As I mentioned previously, he eventually went to Blessed Sacrament, then I believe Sun.

These guys were a part of the general order of things.

Edited by gsksun4

Yah. Hard to remember them all. Just think here in Jersey. Newark had 5 Corps at the same time. One or two National Contenders. Late '50s to mid '1960s. "Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights", "St. Lucy's Cadets", "Woodsiders", "St. Joe's Iron Bound", "St. Rose of Lima Imperial Lancers". . and you could have had a Circuit with Just Newark . (ADD just the Towns/Cities that touch the Newark border and you could of had about 10 Corps Circuit.)

St. Brenden's Cadets were a corps we would see a lot, from Clifton?

One in particular was a snare drummer named Jimmy O'Hara. As I mentioned previously, he eventually went to Blessed Sacrament, then I believe Sun.

Jimmy was a mainstay of the I&E circuit in the 60's ... many finr years with the Bronx Kingsmen and OLPH before he hooked up with BS in 67/68 ... I know he taught Sun in the early 70's but don't think he marched with them ...

:-)

Jimmy was a mainstay of the I&E circuit in the 60's ... many finr years with the Bronx Kingsmen and OLPH before he hooked up with BS in 67/68 ... I know he taught Sun in the early 70's but don't think he marched with them ...

:-)

Think you're right Andy, Dave China spoke of him once on the Sun site. Strange when you know these guys as kids and they grow into instructors with the big time corps.

I remember Johnny Oddo with the Isles when we were around 13 or 14. I think he taught or wrote for The Brigs during their DCA championship run.

So, while we're waiting...

Guess which of these corps never existed:

The Ishpeming Blue Notes

The Waukesha Gardenias

The Immaculate Conception Hellgaters

Our Lady of Czestochowa Ramblers

The Fresno Ferns

The Hormel Spamettes

Ground rules: no consulting with others, use of books or internet.

• Like 1

So, while we're waiting...

Guess which of these corps never existed:

The Ishpeming Blue Notes

The Waukesha Gardenias

The Immaculate Conception Hellgaters

Our Lady of Czestochowa Ramblers

The Fresno Ferns

The Hormel Spamettes

Ground rules: no consulting with others, use of books or internet.

C'mon Frank! If I don't use the internet, I can't answer the question. Guess WHO is ON the internet. Geez.

I'm going with the Ishpeming Blue Notes, although the Hormel Spamettes sure sounds like something you would dream up.

Can you picture the guard uniforms?

A little flag that says "If you beat us you can eat us" ???

Merge them with the Hershey Chocolatiers and get, well... something disgusting I guess...

• Like 1