It's not trivial, at all.

Sitting at breakfast this morning with my old roommate, Ralph Hardimon, he pointed to a quote on a news feed: "Hatred has caused many problems, but it sure hasn't solved any."

All my experience in teaching indicates that people will only truly learn from example. Sometimes the best way to teach technique is to simply say, "Just make it sound like this."

So, let's just live the solution daily. Illegitimi non carborundum.

I think the space aliens let us live primarily because we can make music. The rest they can do without.

Edited by ironlips
  • Like 3

Living on the west side of the Susquehanna River that still has some people proud to be on the "White Shore" (which thank God has gotten better) I agree. Getting past those preconceived ideas and bad impressions are still a way too big step for some. Or as one neighbor told me when we moved in back in 1991 "You know what kinds of people live over there (Harrisburg City side), don't you". My response "Yeah, my family for one....".

Or to put it in a corps perspective during my time at Westshore in the 70s we were totally white. No idea why and made no #### sense being from Harrisburg and being close to York (White Roses) area. Wonder if anyone decided not to join us because of appearances.

Edit (and a few weeks late for Veterans Day): As most of us know the Armed Forces were integrated by Truman in the early 50s. Lot of people think that meant all white outfits were integrated by blacks. What is forgotten is there were all black outfits that were integrated by a handful of whites. Found out a few years ago that my old man was one of those (outnumbered LOL) whites in a formerly all black outfit of Army Corps of Engineers that got sent to Korea. He never thought it was that big of a deal so it never came up in conversation until... "you what?"..... Never saw that #### on M*A*S*H*... Talk about something to change your perceptions.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Living on the west side of the Susquehanna River that still has some people proud to be on the "White Shore" (which thank God has gotten better) I agree. Getting past those preconceived ideas and bad impressions are still a way too big step for some. Or as one neighbor told me when we moved in back in 1991 "You know what kinds of people live over there (Harrisburg City side), don't you". My response "Yeah, my family for one....".

Or to put it in a corps perspective during my time at Westshore in the 70s we were totally white. No idea why and made no #### sense being from Harrisburg and being close to York (White Roses) area. Wonder if anyone decided not to join us because of appearances.

Edit (and a few weeks late for Veterans Day): As most of us know the Armed Forces were integrated by Truman in the early 50s. Lot of people think that meant all white outfits were integrated by blacks. What is forgotten is there were all black outfits that were integrated by a handful of whites. Found out a few years ago that my old man was one of those (outnumbered LOL) whites in a formerly all black outfit of Army Corps of Engineers that got sent to Korea. He never thought it was that big of a deal so it never came up in conversation until... "you what?"..... Never saw that #### on M*A*S*H*... Talk about something to change your perceptions.....

The US Armed Forces, bless their hearts, have been the great equalizer for a while.

We all bleed the same color.

Viet Nam sort of knocked that train off its tracks with a super high percentage of draftees (and therefore grunts and targets) being minorities, mostly black.

OK, getting off this soap box.

On the best day of the year it's a sensitive subject, and no one that frequents this thread needs or deserves to be lectured. And if they did, it certainly shouldn't come from me.

Hoping for the best out in Missouri and hoping for the best all over the world.

Ferguson is not the only giant screw-up on the planet these days.

Bought my turkey today.

I named it Sherman.

• Like 1

It's not trivial, at all.

Sitting at breakfast this morning with my old roommate, Ralph Hardimon, he pointed to a quote on a news feed: "Hatred has caused many problems, but it sure hasn't solved any."

All my experience in teaching indicates that people will only truly learn from example. Sometimes the best way to teach technique is to simply say, "Just make it sound like this."

So, let's just live the solution daily. Illegitimi non carborundum.

I think the space aliens let us live primarily because we can make music. The rest they can do without.

If I could write like you I'd become a writer.

Of course if I could play like you I'd become a player...

I guess we could extend this through to arranger, judge, teacher...

Keep writing.

It helps the inside of my head.

Lots of strong performances Saturday at the Plymouth show, but my "corps of the night" award goes to the Hanover Lancers.

No knock at all on any of the horn lines from any of the other alumni corps... several of them had really good nights... but Hanover's line was amazing.

Balance, blend and discipline, from Note One through the end. With one exception when a lower-brass player (or players) stuck out for a bit... no one "going for the home run" and trying to hit notes that are no longer in reach. Absolutely stellar. :thumbup:

OK back to DC related Off Topic...LOL.. Kris and I just watched a bit of my old crew (green version) on YT at Plymouth. Skipped around to check what they are playing since we didn't see them at all this year. What brought a smile to my face is... well the faces I didn't recognize. Especially the ones that looked like they were born after the corps broke up ca 1984. Wonder what percentage of the corps never was in a drum corps. Told Kris at least I'm on the email list and can follow....... and yeah eat my heart out a little....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

OK back to DC related Off Topic...LOL.. Kris and I just watched a bit of my old crew (green version) on YT at Plymouth. Skipped around to check what they are playing since we didn't see them at all this year. What brought a smile to my face is... well the faces I didn't recognize. Especially the ones that looked like they were born after the corps broke up ca 1984. Wonder what percentage of the corps never was in a drum corps. Told Kris at least I'm on the email list and can follow....... and yeah eat my heart out a little....

In particular, their "Men of Harlech" chart should be put in a time capsule. A clinic on how an alumni corps can, and IMO should, play.

• Like 1

In particular, their "Men of Harlech" chart should be put in a time capsule. A clinic on how an alumni corps can, and IMO should, play.

I guess after marching next to one particular corpsmate you're sensitive to over-blowing, especially on the mello or french horn.

• Like 1

Think it's the only chart this year, besides "You'll Never Walk Alone" that I played. And yes Alumni type groups sing (in 4 parts!). Guess that's what you get when you Business Manager teachs music at the local college and never did corps (no preconceived ideas). :tounge2: My thought was "They're still playing this.... good".

Also IIRC the only arrangement I ever played from a certain GW'er. He even worked with us when we first started learning the piece.

Funny thing is when we were learning it I bought a waaay early corps CD from DCW. Was playing the CD on the way to practice and "Harlach" stared coming thru the speakers. Think it was Jersey Joes form 1952 or sumthin'.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I guess after marching next to one particular corpsmate you're sensitive to over-blowing, especially on the mello or french horn.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 2

... and that's just the way Dreitzer, Genero, Sasso, Bunce, Pepe, et al used to teach some of the most intense horn lines that drum corps has ever known from my era ... a judge once asked Genero how he got the Hurcs to play a certain passage from Hallelujah (sp) in that stratospheric upper register ... he answered: "I never told them they couldn't" ...

:-)

• Like 2