I must be skipping...err, slipping.

I never met Smokey, though I did ride a few floors in an elevator once with Gladys Knight and a couple of her Pips. I didn't recognize her until someone else got on and exclaimed, "Hey, Gladys Knight and the Pips!" (Such a white boy was I.) Him, I could ID. Lionel Ritchie.

Still, I was not overly impressed. Unlike the Hurricanes, none of them had ever won the Dream.

Glady coulda won the Dream.

Pips could certainly have won Marching...

Today is 12-13-14.

Enjoy it... the last one like this in our lifetimes.

Unless someone lives until 3014. :tongue:

Today is 12-13-14.

Enjoy it... the last one like this in our lifetimes.

Unless someone lives until 3014. :tongue:

Yeah, sure, but how about 13/14/15 next year?

• Like 1

In keeping with the Spirit of the Holidays - here's the USAF Band...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vniBBT7nRJg

Pretty cool stuff I think.

Remind to not have to publish any calendars next year ... and probably never ...

:doh:

• Like 2

"The 13th hour of the 13th day of the 13th month..." :ninja:

• Like 1

"The 13th hour of the 13th day of the 13th month..." :ninja:

Ya see? You're making my point!

****************** OT Warning *********** OT Warning ******************** OT Warning ****************** OT Warning *********************

At the age of of 10 I was deposited at Oceanside American Legion Post 1246 in Oceanside NY as birth control for my older brother. I think my folks figured that no chick would do anything with a guy whose buck-toothed crew-cutted 10 year old brother was around. Can't swear to it, but I'm pretty sure they were wrong, at least a few times.

Like most of us I learned to play on the usual suspects of crap, a G-D baritone that Sky didn't use any more, one piston and a slip slide - now it's nailed to the wall of an Applebees' or somewhere like that. Good for it - shoulda been nailed there before I got it.

We learned by ear, we listened to records and played along. We weren't entirely self taught, but we were more sort of guided.

At 18 I went to change all that by auditioning for and making the USAF band - about half way through basic training they came and told me they were red-lining my orders and sending me to language school, either for Viet Namese or Mandarin Chinese - I chose Chinese so I wouldn't have to go to Viet Nam. Where'd the Viet Namese class go? Fort Meade MD - Sliver Springs. Where'd I go? Da Nang, RVN.

Most of you know all that stuff already - so why go through it tonight?

I went to see my grandson play with the Fort Worth Youth Symphony tonight - trombone - instead of a Skyliner reject he's playing on a nice Yamaha Xeno trombone that Carrie and I got for him - F attachment, the works. He played 3 concerts this weekend - School on Friday; All- Regions on Saturday; Fort Worth Youth Symphony on Sunday.

He's playing the original orchestral scores of some of the world's great music - the stuff that I got to play if Sasso or Dreitzer took the time to arrange it for bathroom plumbing by ear.

At the beginning of the concert his brass quintet played, conducted by my son Kevin, tuba pro, Blue Devils Hall of Fame, MMus, who works the low brass for the Fort Worth Youth Symphony.

Standing in front of the stage watching my son conduct my grandson, all the crappy instruments and learn by ear and notes we couldn't play (or at least not in tune); all the school bus rides and never quite learning to really march, all of it seemed pretty worth while.

We are a lucky bunch we dinosaurs. We roamed the Earth, we shaped the music, the instruments, the repertoires, the interest of generations to come.

And the world is a good place for musical kids now - better than sitting in the unheated cafeteria in a Catholic school in Brooklyn or a Naval Air Station hangar with busted out windows to learn tunes by rote.

It was well worth it, and I can't wait to see how it all comes out.

******************** End of OT Section ************************** End of OT Section ******************** End of OT Section ********************* End of OT Section *********

• Like 2

Had the opportunity to attend my first Army-Navy game Saturday, in Baltimore. What an amazing experience!!! The pageantry was unlike anything I've ever seen in person.

Brenda and I were there as guests of Jeff Weir... who runs the Naval Academy Drum and Bugle Corps. We had field passes, so we saw the march-on before the game and all the rest of the pre-game festivities from up close, including the flyover of Army helicopters and Navy jets. And we got to hang out with the drum corps in the end zone "pep band" seats during the game.

And I also had the honor of being the PA announcer for the drum corps' halftime show!!!

So we spent part of the game upstairs in the press box/announcer's booth. Unbelievable. And warmer there than down on the field. LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 3