OK, when you know WHO how about location..... Trying to read the stadium name and just as the letters get big enough they go blurry... And the bridge/overpass in the back right has to be a big clue....

I know who, but not the location or date. I'd say it's early 60's.

Jim, read my previous post.

I know who, but not the location or date. I'd say it's early 60's.

Jim, read my previous post.

LOL - we posted at the same time (well you were a few seconds earlier) and I didn't see it

Hmmm..... Phila-ma-delphia....

edit: Think I got the dance reference but I ain't sharp as a thistle.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

The kids from Bristol are sharp as a pistol when the do THE BRISTOL STOMP!

Taught by Bob Adair ... soloist = Bill Pusey

:-)

Edited by ajlisko
  • Like 1

Hoo boy... time to call the guy who collects misheard song lyrics... always thought it was thistle.... :peek:

Guess I wore out my "oldies collection" that I bought *gag* 40 years ago (yeah problem is the vinyl, not the guy listening, sure)..... Or wore out my hearing playing it..

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Taught by Bob Adair ... soloist = Bill Pusey

So the corps is the Dovels?

• Like 1

So the corps is the Dovels?

See for yourself ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POwJNsb7g64

I had a wonderful phone conversation with Bobby Adair the year he was inducted into the BHOF. We laughed about the PA contest in '62 when these guys beat the Queensmen by half a tenth. (At every other show that season, before and after, they were multiple points behind us.)

"Do you think it was a home-town decision?", I asked. He simply said it was the greatest thing that had ever happened for the Bristol kids, and they were on Cloud 9 thereafter.

I remember them marching off at retreat, right after us. They played and looked like national champions.

Sunday June 24, 1962 Levittown PA

1st Annual Musical Jubilee

Pos Corps Score

1 Bracken Cavaliers 84.550

2 St. Catherine's Queensmen 84.500

3 Vasella Musketeers 84.100

4 Vagabonds (NJ) 84.000

5 Our Lady of Lourdes Cadets 80.900

6 St. Raphael's Golden Buccaneers 80.300

7 Belles of St. Mary's (NJ) 75.000

Good corps ... My fav tune of theirs was "Cocktails For Two" ... I think I first saw them in 61 at Garfield's show ... they were still feeling their oats from finishing 2nd at the AL Nats in Miami ...

Edited by ajlisko

"Sunday Show In Levittown PA"

I remember one of the Buccaneer's telling us at school about that contest. The original show scheduled for the preceding Saturday was rained out, with the out of town corps having to stay overnight in the local area. I believe our friend related that St Raphael's had to sleep in a firehouse.

The second place finishes of St Catherin's and the Musketeers were the result of PENALTIES for flag violations (Or some such).

Ironlips is correct in the point spreads for the preceding and following meetings between Bracken and the Queensmen.

Great memories from the "Golden Age of Drum Corps".

Thanks for sharing.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

Early to mid 1970s when I was with the Manville Crusaders, we competed in the Bracken home show in Bristol.

I remember the stadium's bleachers sat right up against one of the walls of the high school... and there were train tracks right behind the field. With the occasional train coming by and drowning out a part of a corps' show. LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring