894 replies to this topic

#701 CANDRUMMER

CANDRUMMER

DCP Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:53 PM

OK I'm an old fart I play-teach in an Alumni Corps. Im going to PO some people but here goes. If I want to hear "Classical Music" I will go to a Symphony Concert. I strongly feel that if Corps played music people RECOGNIZED the DCI activity would be stronger. How many people leave a DCI Show humming whistling a tune they heard that night?????.

In the "old days" or what the kids call "back in the day" you could do that. Its still done at Alumni Shows The Corps play music people can relate to AND RECOGNIZE!!!!!! The modern Corps have to pick up on that. I can fully appreciate musicly what they are playing BUT I have to think afterwards WHAT THEY HELL DID THEY JUST PLAY!!! IMHO play something recognizable that the crowds can relate to. 98%of the fans are not classicly trained musicians. Afterall its the FANS who are paying the prices of the tickets

#702 N.E. Brigand

N.E. Brigand

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,916 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

"Katachi" by Shugo Tokumaru, and visually in the spirit of this video.

Amplification in drum corps is like trampolines in the high jump.

"For some the only glimpse. For some the awaking." - - J.R.R. Tolkien

"If you are on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; and in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive man." - - C.S. Lewis

"How selfish soever man may be supposed, there are evidently some principles in his nature, which interest him in the fortune of others, and render their happiness necessary to him, though he derives nothing from it except the pleasure of seeing it." - - Adam Smith

Open Class 2014 Repertoires - - - - - Open Class 2014 Standings

#703 FlamMan

FlamMan

DCP Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:25 AM

Jazz

Spanish

British

For the love of God, wont someone PLEASE play something different than the usual over arranged symphonic drivel that every Corps is playing???
1981 Madison Scouts
'06 Madison Scouts Alumni Corps

The '70's & 80's were the glory years.

#704 MikeD

MikeD

Forum Support Team Member

• Forum Support Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,186 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

Jazz

Spanish

British

For the love of God, wont someone PLEASE play something different than the usual over arranged symphonic drivel that every Corps is playing???

So I guess you loved the shows of BD, Crown (unless Copland is now symphonic drivel, of course), Cadets, Regiment (or is Puccini now drivel too?), Scouts, 1/2 of SCV (or are Mars and Jupiter, which have been played forever in drum corps, now drivel?), and most of the rest of the shows at World Class finals last year.
Mike Davis,
Livingston Hilltoppers, 1964-67
Livingston Imperial Guardsmen, 68-69
Garfield Cadets, 70-72

dcp Forum Support Team Member

Posted Image

#705 flammaster

flammaster

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,069 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

I love the stuff corps do now. Sometimes I don't but then the next year they do different shows so it's all good.

When I hear interesting arrangements I seek out the original pieces and try to learn something new.

huckleberry.gif

#706 MikeD

MikeD

Forum Support Team Member

• Forum Support Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,186 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

I love the stuff corps do now. Sometimes I don't but then the next year they do different shows so it's all good.

When I hear interesting arrangements I seek out the original pieces and try to learn something new.

Absolutely!

:thumbup:
Mike Davis,
Livingston Hilltoppers, 1964-67
Livingston Imperial Guardsmen, 68-69
Garfield Cadets, 70-72

dcp Forum Support Team Member

Posted Image

#707 cowtown

cowtown

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

I’d love for some corps to play something really obscure and academic, perhaps something with really odd keys and difficult time signatures.Something that you had to be ‘in the know’ to appreciate but could never actually enjoy. But you’d could pretend to enjoy it to show people how refined and cultured you are It’d be cool if that composer died in a horrible fashion in a country that no longer exists and you couldn’t pronounce their name...someone like Chinua Achebe but dead
moo

#708 84BDsop

84BDsop

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,502 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

https://www.youtube....d&v=NFwII4eYaM0

Anyone else hear SCV, Cadets, or Phantom on this? Never mind that the section at the 3 minute mark is from SCV's 2011 show (same composer, Karl Jenkins)
Sam Signorelli
'84 Blue Devils "A"
'84-'85 Keesler AFB Blue Knights

'86 Dagenham Crusaders (DCUK)
'87 Empire Statesmen Sr.
'94-'97 Nightfire
'02-'06 SoCal Dream Sr.
'04 Crunchy Frog
'07 Blue Devils Alumni
'08 En Garde

#709 DrumManTx

DrumManTx

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,335 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

For some more modern stuff, I'd LOVE to hear a corps use some Immediate Music, some of my favorites of theirs:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=63HfHOVld9Q
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=uu_rET2eROM

Bluecoats%202014.jpg

Blue%20Stars%20Banner.jpg

Boston%20Crusaders%20Banner.jpg

Oregon%20Crusaders%20Banner%202.jpg

Drum%20Corps%20Planet.jpg

#710 FlamMan

FlamMan

DCP Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:59 AM

So I guess you loved the shows of BD, Crown (unless Copland is now symphonic drivel, of course), Cadets, Regiment (or is Puccini now drivel too?), Scouts, 1/2 of SCV (or are Mars and Jupiter, which have been played forever in drum corps, now drivel?), and most of the rest of the shows at World Class finals last year.

Hated BD...loved Crown...loved Cadets...PR was good, Scouts were good, SCV was ok.
I still want to hear Jazz, Spanish, & British.
1981 Madison Scouts
'06 Madison Scouts Alumni Corps

The '70's & 80's were the glory years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please review Drum Corps Planet's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
The contents of this site are copyright (C) 2005-2010 DCP Partners, LLC and all rights are reserved. Requests for use may be directed to the DCP Office.
Drum Corps Planet™ and the DCP logo are trademarks of DCP Partners, LLC. All rights reserved. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.