Schiller Marching Brass

QuebecSOP

Heh, this is a copy of a Holton marching horn you see here:

Horn-u-copia

This is also a Holton horn, a bit different than the one on the above link - mine has a screw-on bell.

fhpics1mh9.th.jpg

I picked it up cheap on ebay just because it was so unusual. The case is only about 3" thick! I can't make any evaluation on how it compares to any other marching French horn - I play contra...plus, it seems to have had some hefty repairs done to it sometime in the past (rebuilt/reversed water keys among other things).

Recently while surfing on internet, I saw the Schiller marching brass. They are cheap, really cheap, and I wonder if anybody tryed them or heard about?

There is the link: Schiller

Thank you.

How cheap is cheap?

Sounds almost too good to be true. I'd have to try one out first.

Also, I do not know what kind of inferior half-brain I must have, but I do not possibly see the benefit of a horn that enters in the third valve for apparently no reason.
Hmmmmmm ........ ever look at the instrument called a "trumpet" ???
Forgive me, I was more referring to the design on their Euphoniums and other low brass, where the leadpipe goes straight into the third valve with a mysteriously twisted leadpipe.

Schiller euphonium

mcheuph1m.jpg

King euphonium

KN_EUP_1129SP%20copy.jpg

Yamaha euphonium

YEP-202MS.jpg

:thumbup:

I kinda wonder if these are anything like the "BAND DIRECTOR APPROVED FOR 2008!!!!" horns on eBay...

Alright, my bad, I'm apparently spending too much time on my concert horn.

Well, played gentlemen, statement retracted.

However, I do stand by that there are several questionable design choices on the instruments, the most notable on first sight being the lack on a stirrup for first valve tuning.

I guess the lack of a valve-slide operator doesn't seem to bother me so much as I never use them except on the 3rd valve when playing concert C above low Bb. I normally lip it up/down otherwise, and I even teach that method, because to be completely honest, unless you're playing a big long note, it doesn't matter that much, and frankly I would rather concentrate on marching/phrasing as opposed to "OMG! THAT Eb EIGHTH NOTE WAS 2 CENTS SHARP!" but that's just me...

• 3 weeks later...

Schiller horns are built in China by a company that builds them and sells them out to different retailers. If you look on ebay, you'll find lots of people selling the same stuff. I own a couple Chinese trumpets that were donated to an organization I coordinated, and I would vouch that they are good enough for a small, local, beginning group that is just getting started. I don't think they could handle the abuse of a typical drum and bugle corps, and the sound would probably not reach the press box intact.