Barbara Maroney for Cadets HOF

Some time ago, I sent in a nomination to the Cadets for mello legend Barbara Maroney to be included. Here's the email I got back this morning from Eric Santo, the chair of the Cadets HOF commitee:

"With a week to go until nominations close, I need to let you know that your candidate, Barbara Maroney, has one letter submitted on her behalf.

As such, her chances for election this year are, unfortunately, low.

There is still time to increase her chances - that is, by getting additional letters of support (at least two, if you can) submitted before next Thursday.

If, however, you would like to pull her nomination for this year and re-group for next year, please let me know.

On a personal note, I marched with Barb and I think she is an extremely worthy candidate for the HOF. However, out of respect to her, I would love to see her nominated with a full compliment of support to ensure her election."

People...if there's ANY Cadet alum who belongs in their HOF, it's Barbara Maroney.

Cadet alums, she's one of you....the standard bearer for mello soloists for over a quarter of a century. it should not take a BLUE DEVILS alum -- who lost his ring to her -- to be the one to nominate/ Step up here.

For all other corps fans who loved her spectacular work in the 83 and 84 shows, for those who were inspired by her rock solid playing in spite of her missing left arm, step up.

Scooter? Chromik? You guys know what I'm talking about here. Fowler? You marched with her....so did some others on this board.

Nomination letters can be sent to Eric at eric289@aol.com

Get 'em in.

For reference, here's a copy of my nomination letter:

"I, Sam Signorelli, hereby nominate Barbara Maroney for the Cadets Hall of Fame.

Ms. Maroney’s mellophone solo work in the 1983-84 Garfield Cadets is legendary, not only for the technical proficiency and emotional content, but for the skill demonstrated in working around the fact of Ms. Maroney’s missing left arm – and the inability to work the 1st valve slide to adjust tuning on those notes inherently out of tune on a G bugle. One would be hard pressed to find any flaw in Ms. Maroney’s solos due to this issue....she was always rock solid.

When we (Blue Devils) saw the Garfield run through at the Port Huron clinic in 84 – the only time we had a chance to see the corps from the audience POV – we had a collective corpsgasm at the end of her "I Have a Love" solo.

On any drum corps discussion board, whenever the subject of memorable mellophone players comes up, Ms. Maroney is often the first and most frequent person cited....even 25 years after her age-out.

That deservedly puts her in the company of Blue Devils’ Bonnie Ott, Bridgemen’s "Diamond" Jim Brady, North Star’s Jerry Noonan, Muchachos’ Jeff Kivet, Spirit of Atlanta’s Hunter Moss, Velvet Knights’ John McCoy, and so many other stellar performers over the years.

The thought that Barbara Maroney is not in the Cadets Hall of Fame already is, to my mind, a travesty....and it should not have to fall to a Blue Devil to nominate her....but nominate her I do.

She has been an inspiration, a joy to listen to, and the mellophone gold standard for two and a half decades, and deserves the honor of entry into the Cadets’ Hall of Fame.

Sincerely,

Sam Signorelli

1984 Blue Devils (Soprano)"

• Like 1

Some time ago, I sent in a nomination to the Cadets for mello legend Barbara Maroney to be included. Here's the email I got back this morning from Eric Santo, the chair of the Cadets HOF commitee:

"With a week to go until nominations close, I need to let you know that your candidate, Barbara Maroney, has one letter submitted on her behalf.

As such, her chances for election this year are, unfortunately, low.

There is still time to increase her chances - that is, by getting additional letters of support (at least two, if you can) submitted before next Thursday.

If, however, you would like to pull her nomination for this year and re-group for next year, please let me know.

On a personal note, I marched with Barb and I think she is an extremely worthy candidate for the HOF. However, out of respect to her, I would love to see her nominated with a full compliment of support to ensure her election."

People...if there's ANY Cadet alum who belongs in their HOF, it's Barbara Maroney.

Cadet alums, she's one of you....the standard bearer for mello soloists for over a quarter of a century. it should not take a BLUE DEVILS alum -- who lost his ring to her -- to be the one to nominate/ Step up here.

For all other corps fans who loved her spectacular work in the 83 and 84 shows, for those who were inspired by her rock solid playing in spite of her missing left arm, step up.

Scooter? Chromik? You guys know what I'm talking about here. Fowler? You marched with her....so did some others on this board.

Nomination letters can be sent to Eric at eric289@aol.com

Get 'em in.

For reference, here's a copy of my nomination letter:

"I, Sam Signorelli, hereby nominate Barbara Maroney for the Cadets Hall of Fame.

Ms. Maroney’s mellophone solo work in the 1983-84 Garfield Cadets is legendary, not only for the technical proficiency and emotional content, but for the skill demonstrated in working around the fact of Ms. Maroney’s missing left arm – and the inability to work the 1st valve slide to adjust tuning on those notes inherently out of tune on a G bugle. One would be hard pressed to find any flaw in Ms. Maroney’s solos due to this issue....she was always rock solid.

When we (Blue Devils) saw the Garfield run through at the Port Huron clinic in 84 – the only time we had a chance to see the corps from the audience POV – we had a collective corpsgasm at the end of her "I Have a Love" solo.

On any drum corps discussion board, whenever the subject of memorable mellophone players comes up, Ms. Maroney is often the first and most frequent person cited....even 25 years after her age-out.

That deservedly puts her in the company of Blue Devils’ Bonnie Ott, Bridgemen’s "Diamond" Jim Brady, North Star’s Jerry Noonan, Muchachos’ Jeff Kivet, Spirit of Atlanta’s Hunter Moss, Velvet Knights’ John McCoy, and so many other stellar performers over the years.

The thought that Barbara Maroney is not in the Cadets Hall of Fame already is, to my mind, a travesty....and it should not have to fall to a Blue Devil to nominate her....but nominate her I do.

She has been an inspiration, a joy to listen to, and the mellophone gold standard for two and a half decades, and deserves the honor of entry into the Cadets’ Hall of Fame.

Sincerely,

Sam Signorelli

1984 Blue Devils (Soprano)"

Sam -

here's the letter I sent to Eric on Barbara's behalf. The fact that she is not already in the BHOF or even the Garfield HOF is as you have stated! I am appalled.

To wit:

I must, as a Mellophone player for St. Rita's Brassmen ask as a measure of respect for anyone who has ever picked up a horn on the field of competition submit my insistence that Barbara (one of the the greatest soloists I have ever heard!) be inducted into the Hall Of Fame. The fact she hasn't yet is to my mind an oversight in the largest degree. Her work, her ethic and personal style will never be duplicated. There is a true one of a kind spirit that should be recognized. Please on behalf of all of us who are not worthy of this, grant her this honor!

Respectfully, G. Bruce - St. Joseph Patron Cadet / St. Rita's Brassmen.

I will have to get with Scooter and rally some of the other Star Mellos. Barbara was an inspiration for many of us and it would be great to see her recognized by the Cadets. Frankly, I'm surprised she is not in their HOF already.

I just posted a note and link on the Star Forums. We will see if the Star Mellos can help put her over the top.

I just posted a note and link on the Star Forums. We will see if the Star Mellos can help put her over the top.

I have likewise posted a note on the Brassmen website for Mike, Reggie and Joe - (the world's smallest Mellophone line with the largest bells!) to send an email to Eric in Barbara's behalf. We weren't soloists - we played as one.

Puppet

Wait a minute. Barbara Moroney ISN'T IN A CADETS HALL OF FAME YET?

What?

Sam -

here's the letter I sent to Eric on Barbara's behalf. The fact that she is not already in the BHOF or even the Garfield HOF is as you have stated! I am appalled.

To wit:

I must, as a Mellophone player for St. Rita's Brassmen ask as a measure of respect for anyone who has ever picked up a horn on the field of competition submit my insistence that Barbara (one of the the greatest soloists I have ever heard!) be inducted into the Hall Of Fame. The fact she hasn't yet is to my mind an oversight in the largest degree. Her work, her ethic and personal style will never be duplicated. There is a true one of a kind spirit that should be recognized. Please on behalf of all of us who are not worthy of this, grant her this honor!

Respectfully, G. Bruce - St. Joseph Patron Cadet / St. Rita's Brassmen.

Sam,

Do I understand that letters from non-Cadets are considered?

Somehow I guess I just assumed Barbara would be in... She's right there with Mike Klesch and a few others for most famous Cadet of the modern (1972 - present) era. And for the right reasons.

Wait a minute. Barbara Moroney ISN'T IN A CADETS HALL OF FAME YET?

What?

knocked my socks so far off I had to take my shoes off to put them back on! Now I'm walking around in a daze.

Puppet