Barbara Maroney for Cadets HOF

Sam,

Do I understand that letters from non-Cadets are considered?

Yep....here are the submission guidelines:

Here are the nomination guidelines:

"1. Anyone can nominate any person they feel is deserving of this honor.

2. The nominees must have been active in the Cadets as a member, instructional staff or support staff (includes quartermasters, drivers, parents, cooks, etc…)

3. Nominations must be made by letter to the Cadets Hall of Fame Committee. The letter should describe the candidate’s qualifications.</STRONG> No person may nominate more than one candidate per year for election. Letters and nominations will be sent to the Cadets Office in c/o the Chairman of the committee.

4. Each nomination must be supported by one, and up to four (4) additional letters</STRONG> describing the nominee’s qualifications.</STRONG> Only two letters per year will be accepted from any one person in support of a nominee for election. In the event that more than four letters supporting any nomination are received, the person making the nomination will select no more than four of these letters to be posted along with the ballot.

5. Nominations and acceptance of letters of support must be received by April 30, 2009. No nominations and/or letters will be accepted after this date.

6. All nominations and support letters will be posted on the Cadets web site. The ballots and support letters will NOT be mailed. If an eligible voter does not have a computer, have them contact the Committee Chairman c/o the Cadets."

Somehow I guess I just assumed Barbara would be in... She's right there with Mike Klesch and a few others for most famous Cadet of the modern (1972 - present) era. And for the right reasons.

You would think she'd be a no-brainer.....but then again, if everyong thinks that and no one submits....

• Like 1

A bump, and ax explanation of the steps once Barbara in formally nominated (keep those letters coming, please....the mroe the better)

"the voting is open to Cadet alumni only voting will last approximately 5 weeks via online ballot on the yea.org sitewinners announced just after July 4ceremony at 75th Anniversary Celebration Aug 1"

A bump, and ax explanation of the steps once Barbara in formally nominated (keep those letters coming, please....the mroe the better)

"the voting is open to Cadet alumni only voting will last approximately 5 weeks via online ballot on the yea.org sitewinners announced just after July 4ceremony at 75th Anniversary Celebration Aug 1"

Sam,

I wrote as soon as I read your post. I think most of the sentient drum corps fans on Earth assumed that Barbara was in Cadets' Hall of Fame and was just waiting for her time to come for DCI's Hall of Fame.

I was going to IM this response to you, but seeing as I don't know you, I hit "back" instead...

Edited by rayfallon

Sam,

Just sent my letter off this morning. Short and simple:

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen:

I had the absolute pleasure of competing against Barbara Maroney in the early 1980’s during my tenure as the drum major of both the Bridgemen and later the Star of Indiana. Barbara’s playing was (and still is) legendary. The absolute pure tone and superior technique were evident night after night. She may not only be the most proficient soloist in DCI history; she may also be the most consistent. I sincerely can’t remember a less than stellar performance.

While I tend to believe that Hall of Fame nominations belong mostly “in-house”, I am respectfully submitting Barbara as a candidate for inclusion in this elite group as a long time fan of your organization.

Many thanks for your consideration,

Karen (Ruschman) Stein

Thanks for staying on top of this, Sam!

Cheers!

Karen

Y'know....if I do nothing else in this activity, helping to get Barbara's name on the voting list might be a nice swan song!

I'll never make anyone's HOF....certainly not BD's (unless they had a category for most rookie rookie), but at least I can help someone deserving get into theirs.

My .02...

Eric,

Like many others, I was quite surprised to learn that Barbara Maroney was not already a member of the Cadets Hall of Fame. I hope that this note will be considered as input from a fan to whom Ms. Maroney’s name and work are somewhat synonymous with Drum Corps and especially the Cadets.

My introduction to the world of Drum Corps came during band camp the summer prior to my freshman year of High School, when our director (who was on the visual staff for Suncoast Sound) placed the vinyl of 1983 on the turntable and played for us the entire Garfield show. I was mesmerized. Later that fall, I spent a Sunday afternoon viewing my first PBS broadcast, of the 1984 finals. To say that I was floored by Garfield’s show in general, and the mellophone solo work in particular, would be a drastic understatement. The excellence of that production still retains a warm spot in my heart, and I still count it as one of my favorite drum corps shows of all time. I ended up marching 3 years with Suncoast and personally know a couple of their fine soloists (Jill (Clemons) Clark and Jeff Swanson) who, in my biased view are two of the best French Horn / Mellophone players I have ever heard. Barbara Maroney is right up there with them.

I have never had the pleasure of meeting Ms. Maroney, so I can’t speak to her as a person, but as a symbol of what the Cadets are to me, she is just as important as George Hopkins, Mark Sylvester, George Zingali, and all of the fine instructors that have spent time with the corps. If I think of the mid-80’s Cadets, I think first of the emphasis on the mid-range horn (and this is coming from a Contra player!) and secondly of the solo work of Barbara Maroney. I hope that my thoughts will be considered by Cadets alums of all ages when the time comes to vote Ms. Maroney into the Hall of Fame, a place where I honestly would have imagined she already resides, at least in the minds of drum corps fans worldwide.

Gentlemen,

All of the above comments are appreciated and understood by the Holy Name Cadets Alumni of ALL ages, however, you need to realize that we do have a 75 year long membership roster to choose from. That makes these selections a little more..................arduous? that and the fact that these inductions have not been ongoing for that long, nor consistently.

Gentlemen,

All of the above comments are appreciated and understood by the Holy Name Cadets Alumni of ALL ages, however, you need to realize that we do have a 75 year long membership roster to choose from. That makes these selections a little more..................arduous? that and the fact that these inductions have not been ongoing for that long, nor consistently.

So we shouldn't be nominating anyone? Doesn't work for me....the age of the corps is irrelevant. Barbara deserves to be in.

And with that, I just got confirmation that she DOES now have enough nominations and will be up for the vote.

Voting is open to Cadet alums only, but if you know any, talk to them and convince them to vote her in.

MikeD, I'll PM you something to put on the alum site....thanks for the offer.

And thanks to everyone who joined me in this little crusade...well done. :smile:

So we shouldn't be nominating anyone? Doesn't work for me....the age of the corps is irrelevant. Barbara deserves to be in.

And with that, I just got confirmation that she DOES now have enough nominations and will be up for the vote.

Voting is open to Cadet alums only, but if you know any, talk to them and convince them to vote her in.

MikeD, I'll PM you something to put on the alum site....thanks for the offer.

And thanks to everyone who joined me in this little crusade...well done. :smile:

I'm going to vote for Barbara for sure!!!!!!