The Denver Diner

Can I just say that the majority of the shows this year are kind of boring me??? anyone agree disagree. I Noticed it tonight while watching this show

Absolutely disagree.

Just for reference... can you name a show that really excites you?... past or present... just name one.

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bleu Raeders from New Orleans, LA

Blue Angels from Renton, WA

Blue Angels from Danvers, MA

Blue Angels (NY) from Brooklyn, NY

Blue Devils from Concord, California

Blue Devils B from Concord, CA

Blue Devils C from Concord, California

Blue Knights from Denver, CO

Blue Knights (IL) from Berwyn, IL

Blue Knights (MI) from Ironwood, MI

Blue Knights (MN) from St. Paul, MN

Blue Notes from Ishpeming, MI

Blue Rock from Wilmington, Delaware

Blue Saints from Sudbury, Ontario

Blue Star Cadets from LaCrosse, Wisconsin

Blue Stars from LaCrosse, Wisconsin

Blue Wanderers from Blue Point, NY

Bluecoats from Canton, OH

Bluegrass Ambassadors from Southgate, Kentucky

Bluewater Buccaneers from Sarnia, ONT

Bluewater Lionaires from Sarnia, ONT

LOL!! Goodness!!!

Thanks everyone for the posts tonight. I had to work during the webcast (which sucks cuz I actually have it this year!) so it was fun to read through 92 pages of thoughts/comments. :thumbdown:

Do you think Scott Chandler would come to Rockford if Phantom promised him all the Beefaroo he could eat?
a former Scout teaching Phantom? uh, no, jar-jar, no, no, no.....no.

Actually, Scott has been in Rockford before, but you won't find it in his resume.

My source? My lovely bride, Regiment guard alumnus 1983-85. And she doesn't lie.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

God BD is high, I mean ####,

LMAO :thumbdown:

It's the reason why who wins the Jim Ott Trophy often comes down to who the specific judges are finals week. There is a divided lines between the guys who like the refinement of the Cavies sound vs. the guys who like the corps that really play at all levels on the field, ala PR and Crown (BD has its own unique take on the whole thing, they kind of fall in the middle).

It's too bad really because a hornline like Phantom should have won brass at least once in the past 5 years, but have gotten 2nd nearly every year and just lost out on the total three night score several times. Take one refined only type judge away and they would have won one of those years.

You guys should hear the debates over hornlines at the DCI Judges Clinics between staff and judges.. WOW... LOTS of different opinions and its no wonder why they can't seem to agree who they like in a given year. Just too many good and unique hornlines to pick one out. its apples and oranges and a tough job for sure to judge! no thanks, I'll just sit back and enjoy all of them! :thumbdown:

This same divide exists among band directors in Texas. I'm sure it exists elsewhere, but it's notable here because Eddie Green, the father of the style of teaching/playing the Cavaliers utilize, taught high school and college in Texas, and has been hugely influential. The debate gets pretty fierce here, too.

My college band directors and most of my music major friends were more interested in conducting than doing ensemble fundamentals, and many times the conductor(s) would conduct somewhat differently at the concert in the interest of "making music". The other side of that argument is, how can you make you music together if you can't play concert F together?

I can see both sides but I prefer one over the other (can you guess which? :huh:). Neither is absolutely correct, and as long as there are band directors in the world this divide is going to exist.

I'm honestly surprised Phantom hasn't won a brass title recently, not because I think they should have, but because of how many people think they should have won.

I guess my point here is that, because of such discrepancies in interpretation, I find it difficult to become too concerned about significant shifts in brass scores from night to night. Like anything else in our activity, points are only opinions, and not in any way an objective measure of performance level, so it's not too productive to measure them as if they are.

Just got home from the show...and a 2 hour "tailgate party" that followed.

I will write a full review tomorrow (later today), but for now I will say

this is easily the most entertaining show I've been to since the early 90s!

Every Corps had something unique to offer and the top 4-6 corps were

simply spectacular! Santa Clara blew me away in a big way! I'm on adrenaline

and it will be hard to get to sleep. Anyway, kudos to the Blue Knights and everyone

involved with putting on this edition of Drums Along the Rockies. Awesome job!

Interestingly, as the Drum Corps crowd was leaving Invesco Field, a new crowd of people

was lining up to audition for American Idol tomorrow.

This same divide exists among band directors in Texas. I'm sure it exists elsewhere, but it's notable here because Eddie Green, the father of the style of teaching/playing the Cavaliers utilize, taught high school and college in Texas, and has been hugely influential. The debate gets pretty fierce here, too.

My college band directors and most of my music major friends were more interested in conducting than doing ensemble fundamentals, and many times the conductor(s) would conduct somewhat differently at the concert in the interest of "making music". The other side of that argument is, how can you make you music together if you can't play concert F together?

I can see both sides but I prefer one over the other (can you guess which? :thumbdown:). Neither is absolutely correct, and as long as there are band directors in the world this divide is going to exist.

I'm honestly surprised Phantom hasn't won a brass title recently, not because I think they should have, but because of how many people think they should have won.

I guess my point here is that, because of such discrepancies in interpretation, I find it difficult to become too concerned about significant shifts in brass scores from night to night. Like anything else in our activity, points are only opinions, and not in any way an objective measure of performance level, so it's not too productive to measure them as if they are.

Would you say that it is a great divide?

Missed the #### webcast cause of work. Gotta come up with money for tour fees somehow though...

UPDATE...Troopers' DM finally made it back to the bus about ten minutes ago!

UPDATE...Troopers' DM finally made it back to the bus about ten minutes ago!

There's a vehicle that waits just for the DM. He's got his own driver and everything. I think his name is Chuck something. :thumbdown:

Well here is where I am encouraged as far as the Colts are concerned.....I've been looking at this and wondering what is causing them to fall back some. Then I looked at the visual performance caption. I see that the Colts scored very low here and have been having some difficulty in this caption along the way. Basically it was a .70 difference last night. Here's why I'm encouraged about this. Bob Smith. Bob is the new visual caption head this year. Most of you will recognize Bob as being a leader in the Visual field with many many years of leading the Phantom Regiment visual program to the top of the heap or close to it along the way. From an execution standpoint Bob will get these kids up to snuff. With all of the changes they have been incorporating into the show my hope is these will start cleaning up and this caption will improve immensely. God forbid there is a ML bias...

Edited by bmroth1