The history of the Westshoremen

Hey Ben drove by Hummelstown Plaza on way back from Hershey Med. Stopped Chez Sheetz (Chez ####tz) for cappucino on the rush hour crawl home.

So McDs has the new building....

Pizza Slut is still closed

Wendys.... oh #### NO building.. no wonder I couldn't figure that out

And Hummelstown Hoss' is still boarded up with a tractor trailer sized dumpster on the highway side....

I thought my side of the river was losing hot spots to eat.....

The Mickey D's was slated to close prior to the "flood" (one of their managers lives near me) Apparently they are going through a lot of the older stores and ripping them down and rebuilding...he said that it was DUMB to close at that point since they were the only "burger joint" that didn't get messed up, and they would have raked in "BOU COUP" bucks, but since it was already on the schedule, they HAD to close. Their loss, he said...

I heard Hoss' wasn't reopening...they haven't been doing a great business the past several years (probably because their food s-u-c-k-s) :thumbdown: I think the flood was a God-send!

I miss Wendy's, though...the one at the outlets isn't close enough for me to stop by, grab lunch and get home before it gets cold.

Pizza slut is open, but who cares, their food is horrible! I can't eat their pizza any more....too spoiled on GOOD pizza! (the only redeeming quality of North East PA :thumbup: ....was up there this weekend because the Mrs. promised me good pizza...we didn't make it to "Old Forge", but we DID get some good stuff!

The Pizza Hut last I knew was back in operation and was decent when I last went not that long ago. The McDonald's was evidently getting old so when the damages hit, Corporate just decided to rip it down and rebuild. The Hoss' unfortunately I think is going to be sold. They've decided to try and relocate their business in the area. Where-- who knows?

I think some of us may still remember the old Deboni Gifts store in that little plaze. Deb Tshudy's (Guard member around 82-82ish) Mom owned it, very nice lady, neat little souvenir/knick-knack store.

Just remember they build those fast food cubes pretty much to just meet code and not much else. Any real damage pretty much wipes them out.

Sheetz isn't THAT bad. Lemme tell you. Driving into West-by-God-Virginia, well I know the one in Martinsburg has a pretty well stocked refigerated beer cave (I was doing a contest down there so I had to behave and all that!) and the one in Parsons tucked into the mountains is a freakin' godsend. It's on US 219 South of Oakland, MD and North of Elkins and really is one of the only places you can gas up at any hour and use a bathroom and get a snack between those two points. Speaking of that, hmm. The Kngsford Charcoal plant is there, and at night when they make charcoal, the stack gives off the freakiest red flame. I mean DEEP red! I tried to shoot pics of that one night coming home, have to get them downloaded and see if they turned out.

Yeah, I pretty much know every place to stop for gas and food and a restroom break all the way from Hancock, MD to Morgantown on I-68 and US 219 from Grantsville, MD to Elkins. It's a really spectacular drive but LONG. Just... tediously LONG....

see my other post re: Mickey D's....

Sheetz freaking ROCKS! Those chocolate topped rice krispie treats are freaking HEAVEN!!!!\

On our way out of town up at Lisa's mom's, we stopped at Sheetz for hot chocolate for the ride home...life is awesome!!! :thumbup::tongue::thumbup::tongue::thumbup:

Redid MickyDs in Mechanicsburg (Trindle/St Johns) and Summerdale Plaza. Whadda screw up at M-burg as everyone is in front of the counter and can't hear yourself think with orders being screwed up, err taken. Turned the booths so the counter is beside you instead of in front or behind. WTH?

But it's got Wi-Fi... Yeah so does Barnes & Nobles and I'd feel safer hanging there with my nose on the screen and not watching my back. :shutup:

LOL on Pizza Slut... didn' see any cars at 4PM (great time to drive from Hershey to the West Shore on a Friday).

I used to get all sorts of WTPA stuff from Scott Green who was a weekend/overnight DJ on 104 and 93.5,( went to high school with him) The t-shirts are all gone, but I think I still have a FM 104 sticker somewhere in a box....Torre the morning guy and I were good friend as well, when I worked for Dauphin Deposit Bank we used to call and request stuff, then it got to a point where he looked for our call every morning (because I used to request Rush, and tell him to "take some ZZ-Top out of petty cash for his trouble" so he'd play a Rush tune for me, and a ZZ tune for himself (that was his favorite band) I met him at Colonial Park on some remote they were doing, and walked away with like 10 t-shirts, and all sorts of other crap :blink:

Great stations back then! :thumbup:

I used to deal with Ed Coffey all the time for his cell phone issues. Always a blast to talk to

I used to deal with Ed Coffey all the time for his cell phone issues. Always a blast to talk to

I couldn't stand him...of all the local DJ's he was one that got on my nerves! Jeff Kauffman was great! We used to see him at DJ at Gullifty's all the time when I was teaching Cliff...got to know Jeff fairly well... But Coffey was a dolt IMHO...I heard some nasty things about him when they were doing the Dead Air Blues Band gigs from a few of the guys in some of the bands they used to use.

I went to grade and high school with Jeni Gipe who used to work at the River, and Mike Ondayko who used to work at 92.7...I screwed up and should have taken radio when I was in...I might have a job :thumbup:

probably not...more and more radio is going auto programmed

probably not...more and more radio is going auto programmed

I'd love doing XM or Sirius...I think the local "commercial" radio is on it's way out...Ever go to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? XM's classic rock station is housed there...talk about a cool place to work!! :thumbup: (although I'd rather do Jam On which is the Jam Band station)

Think Coffey lives/lived near CHHS in a house that my wife knew the elderly lady who lived there. She was (more than) kinda off the wall and named her cat Qualude <not kidding>. She told us the story that she was calling the cat by name and one of the students gave her the finger cuz he must have thought she was yelling Qualude at him. Always wanted to call in with that story but if they were on the air doubt if Coffey wanted to give his address away.

Met Jammer in the mid 80s when TCBY opened in Mechanicsburg and he was giving away t-shirts and cassettes. I heard it on the radio and walked in around lunch time Saturday and NO ONE there except Jammer, engineer and two guys behind the counter. And Jammer looked ####ed.... I ask the engineer and he yells to Jammer .. "HEY SOMEONE HEARD YOU" and points to me. I had to ask him about the crap they were giving away as he didn't even want to talk. He just pointed and muttered... used the t-shirt to paint and gave the cassette (Hooters for heavens sake) to my sister. Laugh was the cassette was marked "for radio used only". LOL, bought a David Bowie CD at a pawn shop near a Navy base that said the same thing...

Ehh... radio... not that great reception at home so put on the Music Choice channels from Verizon on the TV (gotta get some use outta that big ###ed bill I get every month).

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Think Coffey lives/lived near CHHS in a house that my wife knew the elderly lady who lived there. She was (more than) kinda off the wall and named her cat Qualude <not kidding>. She told us the story that she was calling the cat by name and one of the students gave her the finger cuz he must have thought she was yelling Qualude at him. Always wanted to call in with that story but if they were on the air doubt if Coffey wanted to give his address away.

Met Jammer in the mid 80s when TCBY opened in Mechanicsburg and he was giving away t-shirts and cassettes. I heard it on the radio and walked in around lunch time Saturday and NO ONE there except Jammer, engineer and two guys behind the counter. And Jammer looked ####ed.... I ask the engineer and he yells to Jammer .. "HEY SOMEONE HEARD YOU" and points to me. I had to ask him about the crap they were giving away as he didn't even want to talk. He just pointed and muttered... used the t-shirt to paint and gave the cassette (Hooters for heavens sake) to my sister. Laugh was the cassette was marked "for radio used only". LOL, bought a David Bowie CD at a pawn shop near a Navy base that said the same thing...

Ehh... radio... not that great reception at home so put on the Music Choice channels from Verizon on the TV (gotta get some use outta that big ###ed bill I get every month).

Yeah...all of the stuff they gave away said "for radio use only" I had a bunch of stuff marked that way...I think Jammer used to drink a little when he was at Gullifty's, he was always in a pretty good mood when we were there. :thumbup: Some of the CD's he gave me were pretty "off the wall, out of there" ..ended up using them for coasters and keeping the cases for stuff I burned. I think I unloaded a bunch at CD Warehouse when they were first opened a few years back...no one has CD's anymore..it's all downloads and iPods...I stuck about 650 albums worth of stuff on my iPod...the new car we got has a jack that I can plug into and it's instantly accessible! When I leave to go to the gym, I'll plug it in, then when I get there, plug my headphones in, go work out, walk back out to the car, and plug it back into that and not miss anything....life is good :music: !!!

I'd love doing XM or Sirius...I think the local "commercial" radio is on it's way out...Ever go to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? XM's classic rock station is housed there...talk about a cool place to work!! :thumbup: (although I'd rather do Jam On which is the Jam Band station)

I will NOT set foot in that building until Rush is in.