The history of the Westshoremen

if you get a chance, check out this cool podcast Ron Allard did on Westshore!

http://drumcorpshistorypodcast.wordpress.com/2012/03/05/episode-023-westshoremen/

Thanks Jeff, never knew about this site but listening now.

Will have to thank "Ron the narrator" too when I see him next.

Edit: Hoo Boy do I owe him.... Mentioned "Linglestown" and clip of 79 Grenada Smoothie.... :w00t:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

thumbup.gifthumbup.gif (See above, that was Frank Simpson, Snare Drummer. Now performing with St Rita's Brassmen Alumni on Sop AND Percussion!)

Yeah that's the one!!! :thumbup: Thank GOD my long term memory is still good! (Shot term, not so much) :blink:

Thanks Jeff, never knew about this site but listening now.

Will have to thank "Ron the narrator" too when I see him next.

Edit: Hoo Boy do I owe him.... Mentioned "Linglestown" and clip of 79 Grenada Smoothie.... :w00t:

Bomp bom bah fkjghasdfighsdiljfglkdjfghlkg da dut daaahhhhhhh!

HAH! Icarus and "Bongo Fury!"

Pretty cool podcast so far! :thumbup:

Bomp bom bah fkjghasdfighsdiljfglkdjfghlkg da dut daaahhhhhhh!

LOL, memories of asst horn guy Dave (real short cutoff shorts) Pompano(sp) working the opener with the Bari line. Half of us played the rotor with the thumb and half the first finger. Dave gets PO'ed and tells us the thumb users will not be able to play the opening 16th note run clean. He then "proves" it by having each Bari play it by themself.

And we all did it (pretty much) clean and Daves jaw drops.....

Then we told him we played Smoothie the year before so most of us could do that run in our sleep. :devil:

Edit: This ones for BigW - "All right you monkeys" (Daves favorite line) :tongue:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

LOL, memories of asst horn guy Dave (real short cutoff shorts) Pompano(sp) working the opener with the Bari line. Half of us played the rotor with the thumb and half the first finger. Dave gets PO'ed and tells us the thumb users will not be able to play the opening 16th note run clean. He then "proves" it by having each Bari play it by themself.

And we all did it (pretty much) clean and Daves jaw drops.....

Then we told him we played Smoothie the year before some most of us could do that run in our sleep. :devil:

I also remember the day Pomponio added dynamics to that tune.... :blink: 1978 was :doh:

I also remember the day Pomponio added dynamics to that tune.... :blink: 1978 was :doh:

LOL, him and Eyler were ripping their hair out as everyone who played it in 78 was tooooo used to playing it "monotone".

I was away at college Nate Wards last year (still see him at church) and Ray Eylers first. Nate had been there since 74 and Rays style of really getting to the nuts 'n bolts was a real change. And not everyone liked change..... We needed Nates style when we started out and he knocked us over the head with blend and not losing the tone playing those P/R beasts. Heavens knows that was a chore with some of the people we had. But as we got more experienced and picked up more corps savvy people like the Rebels it was time to step up the instructor level. LOL, I can see it now but being away at college and walking into the start of Summer '79 was like ---> :blink: and ---> :shutup:

LOL, Lancer practices are more like Eyler practices (horn guy is a school band director but ex-Archer Epler). Really get dynamics/blend/tempos beat the Hades into us.... :worthy:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

LOL, him and Eyler were ripping their hair out as everyone who played it in 78 was tooooo used to playing it "monotone".

I was away at college Nate Wards last year (still see him at church) and Ray Eylers first. Nate had been there since 74 and Rays style of really getting to the nuts 'n bolts was a real change. And not everyone liked change..... We needed Nates style when we started out to keep the HS and college agers in. But as we got more experienced and picked up more corps savvy people liek the Rebels it was time to step up the instructor level. LOL, I can see it now but being away at college and walking into this start of Summer was like ---> :blink: and ---> :shutup:

LOL, Lancer practices are more like Eyler practices (horn guy is a school band director but ex-Archer Epler). Really get dynamics/blend/tempos beat the Hades into us.... :worthy:

Interestingly enough, when I came over from Hershey, I was used to Bill Tabeling running music rehearsals, and he was all over that stuff...Hershey may have been hokey mini corps material, but their hornline sounded polished.... The beginning of 79...not so much :shutup:

Bill was funny, years later when he was judging and he'd see me on the field, he would either stick his tongue out or wink at me when he walked by.

Interestingly enough, when I came over from Hershey, I was used to Bill Tabeling running music rehearsals, and he was all over that stuff...Hershey may have been hokey mini corps material, but their hornline sounded polished.... The beginning of 79...not so much :shutup:

Any idea if he did horns in 1976? LOL, Hershey only beat one corps that year and dirty as Hades (quote from Rich Sennett). Played music that must have been left over from the 60s but for some reason it's one of my old time favs to listen to. Mebbe it's just the way the horn line sounds (ignoring the occasional "Oh ####").

They're not on the 1976 RCA Championship CD that DCW sells but that's when they beat the one and only corps. I contacted the guy who is responsible for cleaning up the old tapes and creating the CDs. Bought the four corps that are not on the CD (Hershey, Erie, Guelph and Westshore). Westshore is interesting as the 76 DCA album blows for us as we had just doen Prelims then got recorded. RCA recording is a scream as the opener "Queada" (Spanish for "Rip Off of Misserlou") really jumps out.

Edit: Should have 1979 Hershey at a MD show, will have to check that out.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Any idea if he did horns in 1976? LOL, Hershey only beat one corps that year and dirty as Hades (quote from Rich Sennett). Played music that must have been left over from the 60s but for some reason it's one of my old time favs to listen to. Mebbe it's just the way the horn line sounds (ignoring the occasional "Oh ####").

They're not on the 1976 RCA Championship CD that DCW sells but that's when they beat the one and only corps. I contacted the guy who is responsible for cleaning up the old tapes and creating the CDs. Bought the four corps that are not on the CD (Hershey, Erie, Guelph and Westshore). Westshore is interesting as the 76 DCA album blows for us as we had just doen Prelims then got recorded. RCA recording is a scream as the opener "Queada" (Spanish for "Rip Off of Misserlou") really jumps out.

Edit: Should have 1979 Hershey at a MD show, will have to check that out.

Not sure... I know that he was there in 1977, not sure of prior to that.

Bill had access to a bunch of old Rebels scores, which was pretty much what they played while I was there. IIRC, he had at least ONE part (usually soprano) and would fill out the rest for the other voices. In other cases I think he had the whole score. (Brian Schell wrote the drum parts in 78, I think Rich Sennett was doing the writing before that)

1979 they attempted competition, but I think they got disillusioned with getting their heads handed to them at a show or two....In 1978, mid-season, there was a "power struggle" at the "executive level" I think there was a group that wanted to stay 'parade/exhibition' and a group that wanted to compete, and they knocked heads...ironically (since we were just talking about it) it came to a head when we were getting on the buses to go to the Dream show that year, and a few people ended up not going. The next week there was a meeting at the Hershey Legion, and part of the corps quit...but we still had a show they were obligated to do (Bucknell) and we put on a half azzed performance with about 2/3's of the corps that started the season...I told you the story of almost joining as a replacement cymbal player and going to Nawlin's (I had the parents convinced until they heard about that trip) :thumbdown: (ok, I was 14) So I ended up staying until the practice before Westshore's first practice in November.

I was in school with a friend that stayed, and she would give me reports on what was happening throughout 79...it wasn't pretty, and she said that a lot of people thought they were better than they really were and were devastated when they received their first score...that took the life out of them, and was the beginning of the end. I honestly think that if they stayed "parade/exhibition" they'd still be around....it was a nice place for retired drum corps hero's to go roost.