The history of the Westshoremen

Here's a tip, been listening to a full Zappa concert while writing the review. Id think a search on YT for "Zappa Barcelona 1988" will get it. Their cover of Bolero, great, other classic Zappa in there including Packard Goose, Watermelon in Easter Hay, a cover of I am the Walrus, etc.

• Like 1

Ok, last night was the first senior corps show I've seen since God knows when. I had no expectations whatsover, and figured I'd just sit and enjoy the show. Since the rain was happening, it was a bit of a pain, but what can you do?

I missed the first few because of being at an event for the 30th anniversary reunion, just catching up with people at the restaurant, then by the time we made it to the stadium, missed the first show, then stood up top for the next.

I thought Fusion Corps was pretty good! Never seeing them ever, and was very impressed!

I thought Cab's had a nice sounding hornline, and looking at them, it was hard to realize that they were the Cab's! Didn't have 60 horns that looked like they were all marching for 20 years, and a latin percussion ensemble for a drumline. They weren't bad, but I wasn't overly impressed with their show. Nothing overly exciting.

Cadets2 to me were as boring as Cadets were this year. Not buying their philosophy....thought they were just going through the motions, and didn't think it was anything to write home about.

Bucs show to me was very cool musically...nice adaptation to the Doors tunes! What I didn't like was the fact that they stuck the pit out on the field, and for most of the show, the corps was TOO FAR BACK to really give me a good impression of their show. Everything sounded nice, but it sounded distant. I got a better read of their show at the stand still encore.

Can't say I agree with the placement, (giving my "Blue bias") but feel that with how placement has been, it's just not their year...c'est la vie! (and it's going to be hard to see what they give Minnesota Brass, and Bush with all corps set up in one show, looks like Bush is making a late season run)

But it was cool to see everyone that I did get to see, and wish I got to see a few others.... and it's really hard to believe that people I marched with have kids marching now...just amazing!

Edited by Jaminbenb

Hey Ben great that you finally made a show. I took off 10 years myself from going. Won't at any this year in body but set up for DCA via the Internet. Now my sis in law wants a picnic Saturday night. Dang good thing it isn't Sunday or I'd be telling her I'll be home with the PC.... She loves me enough anyway LOL......

I actually got to DCI Semifinals a few weeks back (we were out in Indy visiting a friend, and the Mrs. said "we have time for ONE show!" so I picked semi's over finals since there were more corps!)

The only real reason I went was that they had a party for the drumline celebrating 30 years since we won drums...it was cool to see all those guys from way back! (spent most of the time with Rook and his wife) but saw a few other's from over the years.

All that said... I MAY need to hit a DCA show as well, more often! Tough to believe that they'e some this far! heck, even Cab's looked like a just aged out DCI corps!

Edited by Jaminbenb

Bucs should have won. wished I could have said hi! and yes get to more shows!

Bucs should have won. wished I could have said hi! and yes get to more shows!

I would say that only because of my bias...I've been so unplugged that as far as I know Carolina Gold should have won...

I had front row seats (because people were being ##### and not moving where I was supposed to sit, so we let Rook and his wife sit there (we were next to them) and just figured screw it and sat in the front row.

But I liked Bucs show better, would have liked to see Cabs show...well everyone's show...again just to give it a good healthy look. Thought...as usual...Cabs had a nice sounding hornline...

I was a little "overwhelmed" from the day, not seeing a lot of these people for a long time, and running into someone every five feet, seeing people that you THINK you knew, but couldn't remember...I don't exactly look the same, either....what was funny was that it took me a little whiel to recognize a guy that marched in the tenor line in 84 that was standing at the party, who back in 84 was in pretty good shape...but he looked like an old Jewish doctor I see over at Hershey Med occasionally (in fact just saw him at a party we attended the other night) If I walked by him at the show, I never would have known him. Part of the problem was that with people wearing raincoats, you couldn't see their corps jackets...well those that still fit into theirs, Rook admitted that he couldn't, I surprisingly could...I always thought having your name on your jacket was great because when you were half drunk, you could still remember who helped you aim when you were going to hurl! :drool:

But it was a fun day, and thankfully Lisa was able to hang with Steve's wife and catch up on things while I wandered around aimlessly!

I wish more of the line had been there.

There were a few people that were at the gathering, that couldn't make the show, Bill Snook was doing corps related stuff, a few that we couldn't locate, and a few that had other obligations that night. (not to mention 2 that had family issues and had to cancel at the last minute)

There were a few people that were at the gathering, that couldn't make the show, Bill Snook was doing corps related stuff, a few that we couldn't locate, and a few that had other obligations that night. (not to mention 2 that had family issues and had to cancel at the last minute)

still a monster line. I could listen to Rainmaker all day

Just checked the roster... (and forgot that Rich Hammond stopped by the restaurant, but he had Cadets2 stuff to do)

5 out of 9 snares (two of which we never heard from, one couldn't make it, and one had to cancel at the last minute)

2 out of 4 tenors (The other two weren't able to be in town this weekend)

4 out of 6 bass (never located the other two)

1 out of 5 cymbals (one wasn't able to come, another didn't want to, and the other two we didn't hear from..well at least I never heard what the issue was, I should have asked their brother)

3 out of 6 pit (one wasn't able, another wasn't coming into town until NEXT weekend, and one had to bail at the last minute)

Not a bad deal for the time span, though. I mean GOD 30 years is a freaking lifetime!