The history of the Westshoremen

You should do a 20th in two years! How many people are you still in touch with?

still a monster line. I could listen to Rainmaker all day

Missed this earlier....

We talked about that one being the coolest tune anyone has ever played! That's probably the only tenor part I still remember the most of! I wish I did tenors that year, but I just figured I'd get on the field quicker by doing pit. I was glad when they said they were doing it again in 85, and I joined the tenor line!

Still having my "senior moment" so I've been listening to some old DCA stuff...The other day I listened to what I had on CD from Reading (79 & 82) and Sun (79, 81, & 82) and now I'm listening to the years I marched...today after dropping my wife off, I had 79 & 80 in...still wondering why we did such a weird show in 80?!?! Journey to the Center of the Earth (progressive rock) What I did for Love (Broadway) Sing Sing Sing (Big Band) Spanish Dreams (Latin Jazz) and Impossible Dream (Broadway) talk about a diverse show! hahaha!

The funny part, was listening to What I did for Love, and hearing the tom line playing the same parts at one point, and hearing the different sounding drums they used the two years. 79 - 14, 16, 18 and 80 - 12, 14, 16!

The other thing I noticed was that the snare line both years was pretty #### good!! I'd say 99% of the parts they played were clean as hell!! Fun stuff!

yeah that show was odd. so was 81

Yeah...most of the same show except for the exit number. At least 79 was 75% Broadway...

I never DID like the Sing Sing Sing drum solo's! Coletti was obsessed with using that tune for a solo... I wish I had recordings of the 95 different versions we had of it over those two seasons!

I also wish that in 81 we kept the original ending to Music rather than try to stick the LaMancha tag on the end! (that was Larry's obsession) I won't even go into the birds! :tounge2:

Listened to the rest of 80 on my way to and from the gym, still love the timpani section that year! We had a good line, and had a blast!!

Ray Eyler explained it to Mike and I in a conversation in period as to why the '81 show was so eclectic. He felt that if we showed we were capable of playing in different styles and were musically versatile, we'd get a lot of credit.

Looking back the problems with that were:

1: No real identity for the corps

2: Writing for the MA-PA judge/the top box nowadays and trying to technically impress as the main priority is always never good especially in DCA.

Keep in mind we were also recycling material from year to year like everyone else, and that themes weren't as essential as they are now, or even were not long after 1981.

Ray Eyler explained it to Mike and I in a conversation in period as to why the '81 show was so eclectic. He felt that if we showed we were capable of playing in different styles and were musically versatile, we'd get a lot of credit.

Looking back the problems with that were:

1: No real identity for the corps

2: Writing for the MA-PA judge/the top box nowadays and trying to technically impress as the main priority is always never good especially in DCA.

Keep in mind we were also recycling material from year to year like everyone else, and that themes weren't as essential as they are now, or even were not long after 1981.

That was my thing "no identity"...I liked some of the tunes, but..I think I remember that argument W...

82 wasn;t MUCH better even thought we didn't recycle.... Blues for the opener, Jam Band for a drum solo (Rizooli was by the Diga Rhythm Band which was one of the Grateful Dead drummer's side project) Icarus was what..easty listening jazz kinda like Kenny G :sleepy: Big Noise...again! and All the Things You Are...I guess that's Broadway, isn't it??

I think it's kind of cool now that most corps have some sort of theme, even though they aren't exactly tunes that mesh, they puul it together somehow! (I'm still digging how the Colts meshed Wizard of Oz, and Dark Side of the Moon like what the stoners were doing!!!) :blink:

Edited by Jaminbenb

Yeah...most of the same show except for the exit number. At least 79 was 75% Broadway...

I never DID like the Sing Sing Sing drum solo's! Coletti was obsessed with using that tune for a solo... I wish I had recordings of the 95 different versions we had of it over those two seasons!

I also wish that in 81 we kept the original ending to Music rather than try to stick the LaMancha tag on the end! (that was Larry's obsession) I won't even go into the birds! :tounge2:

Listened to the rest of 80 on my way to and from the gym, still love the timpani section that year! We had a good line, and had a blast!!

Music never should have changed