The history of the Westshoremen

That was my thing "no identity"...I liked some of the tunes, but..I think I remember that argument W...

82 wasn;t MUCH better even thought we didn't recycle.... Blues for the opener, Jam Band for a drum solo (Rizooli was by the Diga Rhythm Band which was one of the Grateful Dead drummer's side project) Icarus was what..easty listening jazz kinda like Kenny G :sleepy: Big Noise...again! and All the Things You Are...I guess that's Broadway, isn't it??

I think it's kind of cool now that most corps have some sort of theme, even though they aren't exactly tunes that mesh, they puul it together somehow! (I'm still digging how the Colts meshed Wizard of Oz, and Dark Side of the Moon like what the stoners were doing!!!) :blink:

song to song 82 flowed much better, that helped

Music never should have changed

Yeah...that one came up in the player, and when it happened, I just cringed! :huh:

But yea, I agree that 82 flowed better...the problem that year was that we didn't refine our show as the year went on, and we just tried to get cleaner...

I liked 83's show a little better, and I think if we had the talent of 1982 (and not the "hangers on" that came to try to get a "championship")(we were talking last weekend, and had the same issue in 85 in Reading) we WOULD have done much better! No More Blues was a cool tune, and the fact that Ralph Hardimon wrote the drum parts is still a cool thing in my book! :thumbup: Chatted with him a little in a thread on FB, and he still remembers coming out with us that weekend.

I was also thinking about the drum "staff" that year...we started with Mueller who had some problems (addiction? not sure) Then Billy Kauffman came in and re-tooled everything. (i.e. the drum solo) I forget what it was supposed to be tune-wise when we started it, but he brought in the Entertainer from Billy Joel, and it fit so...Love for Sale was another mess when Robb left, I remember getting little slips of paper for the tom parts, and re-doing it most of the season. It wailed in the end!

Edited by Jaminbenb

Happy 18th anniversary to the 1996 DCA world champion Westshoremen

• Like 1

Hey Ben, the only problem with Kauffman's 'Entertainer' was the fact that Garfield had already done this piece, same score, somewhere during the mid-70's (74-75'ish). Also that year, I think Mueller got the gig with The Colts....not sure though.

Unca Larry gave a nice interview on the DCA Finals Fan Network feed. In fact he was the first one interviewed.

Then Ron Garhis(sp?) talked about biased judging pre-DCA by saying "PA judges would pick Archie and Westshore over Cabs".

Unca Larry gave a nice interview on the DCA Finals Fan Network feed. In fact he was the first one interviewed.

Then Ron Garhis(sp?) talked about biased judging pre-DCA by saying "PA judges would pick Archie and Westshore over Cabs".

in what lifetime is he thinking of? Reilly and Archie maybe

Hey Ben, the only problem with Kauffman's 'Entertainer' was the fact that Garfield had already done this piece, same score, somewhere during the mid-70's (74-75'ish). Also that year, I think Mueller got the gig with The Colts....not sure though.

It think he ended up at Colts the next year if I'm not mistaken Jim...I think he just consulted the years he taught us.... I do seem to remember someone else using that tune...but if I remember right, I think the drum solo was about half-three quarters written before we added the tune.... Do you remember Hardimon coming out?

In other news...interesting reading on FB by some people who think the Cabs got screwed.... yikes!!!

What's really bugging me is that people have this ingrained in their minds that if you are winning the entire season, and you win prelims, finals is just handed to you? Sorry...I've seen enough over the years to know that it's not gonna happen that way! (and I mentioned in Nancy's post 1981 with the Hurricanes!)

82 Westshore we won 90% of the shows, and we lost...ok..it happens...

In other news...interesting reading on FB by some people who think the Cabs got screwed.... yikes!!!

What's really bugging me is that people have this ingrained in their minds that if you are winning the entire season, and you win prelims, finals is just handed to you? Sorry...I've seen enough over the years to know that it's not gonna happen that way! (and I mentioned in Nancy's post 1981 with the Hurricanes!)

82 Westshore we won 90% of the shows, and we lost...ok..it happens...

yup.

hey Ben, hit up my FB page of the corps, and listen to the recording that's up from 1996. The afternoon of finals, we did a standstill recording of the show

yup.

hey Ben, hit up my FB page of the corps, and listen to the recording that's up from 1996. The afternoon of finals, we did a standstill recording of the show

Hah...I actually had that playing when I popped over here. Nice stuff.