The history of the Westshoremen

apparently there was a bass drum attendance issue. my phone went off all afternoon.

i didnt hear it, I was napping with Sadie

I hope to get up there to a rehearsal... probably the one in March. Go 'Shore!!!

Listening to Zappa/Captain Beefheart "Debra Kadabra", and all I could think of was that it would really make for a great modern Blue Devils program. I'm not sure of that's good or not. :satisfied:

It wouldn't surprise me of they came out playing Zappa some year, though.

• Like 1

Not surprised, but the more out there BD gets and the more they direct themselves to being an absurdist-surreal performance ensemble, the more the Mothers of Invention thing fits what they do.

"Our show this year is... "Uncle Meat". Sit back and enjoy!"

Hmm, maybe they could do Joe's Garage Part One complete with Mary from Canoga Park and do "Wet T-Shirt Time".

Buddy Jones:
Oh my goodness, look at her go!

Mary:
Oooh! I'm dancing! I'm dancing!

Buddy Jones:
Ain't this what living is really all about! here's your fifty bucks Mary...

Sometimes I wonder if this is where they're gonna go. You got it all, avant-garde music, narration, synths, actors on the field, the entire wallapalooza. :satisfied:

• Like 1

Not surprised, but the more out there BD gets and the more they direct themselves to being an absurdist-surreal performance ensemble, the more the Mothers of Invention thing fits what they do.

"Our show this year is... "Uncle Meat". Sit back and enjoy!"

Hmm, maybe they could do Joe's Garage Part One complete with Mary from Canoga Park and do "Wet T-Shirt Time".

Buddy Jones:

Oh my goodness, look at her go!

Mary:

Oooh! I'm dancing! I'm dancing!

Buddy Jones:

Ain't this what living is really all about! here's your fifty bucks Mary...

Sometimes I wonder if this is where they're gonna go. You got it all, avant-garde music, narration, synths, actors on the field, the entire wallapalooza. :satisfied:

I'm waiting for some corps to do "Billy the Mountain." :tongue:

• Like 1

You know, Fran, the more I listen to "Billy the Mountain", I think of an intensely blazed Garrison Keillor doing this on Prairie Home Companion.

A number of years ago, I heard a tune on a jazz station... it was "Sammy Davis Jr. Sings Mel Torme's 'California Suite.'"

The title chart is something like 24 minutes long... and IMO, it has "drum corps jazz show" written all over it. Great stuff. Especially in this day and age, with narration being used by various corps.

Here's part of the description of the piece, from a discography:

"For the first half of this collection, Davis and Marty Paich (arranger/conductor) have created an unusual spoken word narrative intertwined among selections extracted from Mel Tormé's California Suite (1949). The story finds Davis defending the Golden State to Eddie -- an East coast acquaintance -- 'who doesn't mind visiting California, but wouldn't want to live there.'"

Zappa would be great! Yeah Devils did Echidna's Arf (of you) years back, and that was VERY cool! Some of his stuff from Grand Wazoo and Waka (JaWaka) would make good stuff also! Some of the tunes off of Läther would work also...(and just thinking about it (and playing a few things...The Colts would do a bang up job with Läther seeing how they did the Dark Side of the Moon/Wizard of Oz show last year, I really enjoyed that show!)

Someone posted a cartoon tune on FB/YouTube last week, and when it was over and the "other" stuff came up, they had the Johnny Quest theme... I always thought THAT would make a good tune for the Devils!

Edited by Jaminbenb