The history of the Westshoremen

WOW and forgot about "Oh Canada" being sung. Somehow that was missed at the start of FInals.

No idea W where this came from.... but can't wait to have the time to watch. Listened a LOT of times and love the concert and people going nutso with the Can Can.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I posted this on the Westshoremen FB page... figured I'd share it here:

Hi all...

By any chance, do any of you have a color photo, or photos, of my now-departed in-laws, Fred and Lillian Mowbray? (Together or separate.)

Drum Corps World is planning a tribute to deceased DCW staff members... and Steve Vickers has asked if I have any color shots of Fred and Lillian. I'm having trouble finding any here at home.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! Please send me a PM on Facebook if you have anything. (Or a message here on DCP.)

Fran, the only thing I can think of is to see if Moe Knox might have something. One more thing, but I have no idea if it exists, Larry would know if and where--

Fred was part of the Westshoremen-Bonnie Scots in the early 70's and there was a mounted corps photo with individual pics of the membership in uniform surrounding the corps pic, I remember seeing this BITD, IIRC, Wally, Chuck, Benny Behrens and Fred were in it as well as others. I know I asked if that was Fred and got an affirmative from someone who would have known for sure.

WOW and forgot about "Oh Canada" being sung. Somehow that was missed at the start of FInals.

No idea W where this came from.... but can't wait to have the time to watch. Listened a LOT of times and love the concert and people going nutso with the Can Can.

Yes, the audience did like the corps a LOT. The real gem of the program is "The Box" in Hymne a' L'Amour". At the worst the way the design team put the box together and spun it is rather clever, maybe even sheer genius based on the knowledge of the day and various issues at hand. They took High Guard, and when you look at the 6 who beat them-- it's pretty much the legendary big guys of the era, they have a lot to be proud of.

Not a lot of time, hoping Tony Little, Fran, Jim et al read this.

Here's the search for this on YouTube:

"AMBASSADEURS1977DCA"

Thanked a friend in Quebec a million times for this.

Now... note that this is the ENTIRE show, NOT a 6 minute excerpted version and it IS the multi cam PBS feed. HOW did they get this?

Logical conclusion perhaps is that FULL show tapes were given to the corps?

If so Fran and Tony, something worth looking into, eh?

Also, this is also good quality, not taped off of the TV....

Also, a very fun show. More on this show and a few other 7th place shows when I have time to get back on and talk. Always loved Les Ambassadeurs.

Hope this might throw some leads out for some people to find the entire show from 1977.

loved that show on dad's 8 track

I posted this on the Westshoremen FB page... figured I'd share it here:

Hi all...

By any chance, do any of you have a color photo, or photos, of my now-departed in-laws, Fred and Lillian Mowbray? (Together or separate.)

Drum Corps World is planning a tribute to deceased DCW staff members... and Steve Vickers has asked if I have any color shots of Fred and Lillian. I'm having trouble finding any here at home.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! Please send me a PM on Facebook if you have anything. (Or a message here on DCP.)

I wish I did

Not a lot of time, hoping Tony Little, Fran, Jim et al read this.

Here's the search for this on YouTube:

"AMBASSADEURS1977DCA"

Thanked a friend in Quebec a million times for this.

Now... note that this is the ENTIRE show, NOT a 6 minute excerpted version and it IS the multi cam PBS feed. HOW did they get this?

Logical conclusion perhaps is that FULL show tapes were given to the corps?

If so Fran and Tony, something worth looking into, eh?

Also, this is also good quality, not taped off of the TV....

Also, a very fun show. More on this show and a few other 7th place shows when I have time to get back on and talk. Always loved Les Ambassadeurs.

Hope this might throw some leads out for some people to find the entire show from 1977.

I loved their hot all girl tenor line! :w00t:

• Like 2

Yes, Ben, and they could play! By the way, I listened to the Sheik Yerbouti Album cranked up in my car with friends. I can see how much Bogota was consumed wile listening to this Zappa classic BITD. Several extended jams between the more nasty digs at Bob Dylan, Disco, and the Jewish princesses. ....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, Ben, and they could play! By the way, I listened to the Sheik Yerbouti Album cranked up in my car with friends. I can see how much Bogota was consumed wile listening to this Zappa classic BITD. Several extended jams between the more nasty digs at Bob Dylan, Disco, and the Jewish princesses. ....

Always was a classic album! Still makes my rotation on a fairly regular basis..

But yeah.... I remember seeing those ladies at DCA and freaking out! They played some serious notes!

• 3 weeks later...

Heard yesterday that Carlisle might not have their fireworks show this year. All paid for by sponsors and the sponsors are having problems finding the $$$$ to pony up. Think it's $10K in the hole last I heard.

Toooooooooooooo many memories of that exhibition. Most of them involve Benny yelling to get the truck loaded so we could get the Hell out of the school before the fireworks were over and the traffic jam started. Only time all year I loaded the truck while still in the uniform. And then try to change in that freaking truck while Benny was trying to haul butt outta there.... :shutup:

• Like 1