Contra Mouthpieces

micfiygd

Had one for a while as in, moved on? How come? What to?

It was a loaner from a friend. It made the rounds with me in Inner City, in drum corps, and in solo work, so I found it to be pretty decent. Now, though, I'm onto the Perantucci which I like better, but that's just me. The MF was a good mouthpiece.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played contra for the last five years in an alumni corps and for the last four, I used the Helleberg Heavy (it looks like a beer can on a stick). Although a bit pinched on the notes above the scale, it more than made up for it at the bottom end.

I played contra for the last five years in an alumni corps and for the last four, I used the Helleberg Heavy (it looks like a beer can on a stick). Although a bit pinched on the notes above the scale, it more than made up for it at the bottom end.

I feel restricted in my lower notes with the standard Helleberg. The Mike Finn mouthpieces are beautiful, but Im starting to think the satin silver, etc, may not be worth all the extra $. I need a big, quality tuba mouthpiece for not so much $. Anyone know anything about the Bach 7?

I feel restricted in my lower notes with the standard Helleberg. The Mike Finn mouthpieces are beautiful, but Im starting to think the satin silver, etc, may not be worth all the extra $. I need a big, quality tuba mouthpiece for not so much $. Anyone know anything about the Bach 7?

I felt the same about the Helleberg. But I was just starting out at the time. Unfortunately most of the Tuba / Contra mouthpiece are expensive. Enough so that I opted for mostly stainless steel pieces. About the same price really. +/- $50. If money is an issue, you can try some of the Kelly's. About as cheap as it gets in terms of mouthpieces. Always nice to be lugging around just in case anyway. 2lbs make a noticeable difference on a 7 mile parade. And plastic for cold weather. But I find the heavier massed pieces easier to play. Notes that are otherwise squirrely you can just play on those things.

I felt the same about the Helleberg. But I was just starting out at the time. Unfortunately most of the Tuba / Contra mouthpiece are expensive. Enough so that I opted for mostly stainless steel pieces. About the same price really. +/- $50. If money is an issue, you can try some of the Kelly's. About as cheap as it gets in terms of mouthpieces. Always nice to be lugging around just in case anyway. 2lbs make a noticeable difference on a 7 mile parade. And plastic for cold weather. But I find the heavier massed pieces easier to play. Notes that are otherwise squirrely you can just play on those things.

I have a couple Kelly mouthpieces, and they are good for festive events where sound quality doesnt matter too much. I think I can afford between $50-100, so the $195 for the Mike Finn will have to wait a while

I have a couple Kelly mouthpieces, and they are good for festive events where sound quality doesnt matter too much. I think I can afford between $50-100, so the $195 for the Mike Finn will have to wait a while

PT-88 is about $100 (or was not too long ago). Always a nice larger piece to have laying about. My Caver is based off of that one.

But $100 is about the going rate for silver plated brass mouthpieces. Stainless steel is closer to that $150 mark +/- 50. Schilke 69c4 wasn't too shabby, for the short time that I played it (one parade). Sort of a middle of the road piece. Borderline small, but very open-ish. (grain of salt, not my main instrument). From what I recall of my ruler / specs the Helleberg was 32.7mm inner rim. I tend to favor the 33.5-ish +/- 0.5mm type pieces. Given time I could grow into probably any piece. But I'm not one to put that kind of time in these days. Too many other interests (and horns).

I got my PT-36 for about $95 off Brasswind, so it's probably roughly the same for all those mouthpieces.

I got my PT-36 for about $95 off Brasswind, so it's probably roughly the same for all those mouthpieces.

I have had a friend of mine recommend the PT88 and PT50. Why do you like your PT36? Whats characteristic about it? Also, does anyone know anything about the Bach 7?

Thanks

Don't know much about the Bach 7, although if it's based on the same numbering system as the others it's going to be a toilet bowl. I like the 36 because it fits well over all the different playing I do, whether it's just standard tuba playing, or the stuff I do with my band which requires a little more finesse and style, not to mention way more notes moving a lot faster. It's not too big, not too small, and the rim is a good level of sharpness where it's comfortable for long periods.

So I'll hopefully be marching contra this year and I was just wondering what mouthpiece I should look into. Anyone have any suggestions as to what brands and models I should be looking into? I obviously want something with a big, dark, and loud sound. Any good ideas?

If it matters I'll be playing a yamaha 202 this summer.

Ok, the Hellebergs are good for the money, but if this is something you want to do for a while....i would invest in a Laskey 30H mouthpiece. it's like the Helleberg, except it has a deeper cup, and a darker sound. And this is the only mouthpiece i have found that sounds and plays awesome on Contra and concert tuba! hope this helps!