Everything but "some old drum corps photos"

Flip over the advertisement and there's the page. Enjoy and cherish our drum corps history.

IMG_0037_zpswtedybg7.jpg

If I read one more negative, boo hoo comment on these threads I'm gonna bust! Good golly! We had a great time in drum corps. Cherish the memories.

Thanks for sharing these, Linda. I see a reference to a Midlanders film shot at the U.S. Open.

I presume this would have been their 1970 championship performance. I never heard that such a film existed.

I don't believe it has ever surfaced on youtube, but it would be interesting to see.

I attended Spring Fanfare April 24, 1971 (same day as today lol) and recently scanned the entire program (not just the cover;) The evening consisted of:

The Midlanders

The Midlanders film "U.S. Open 1970"

The Toronto Optimists Drum and Bugle Corps

Trooper's film "The Troopers are Coming"

The De La Salle Drum and Bugle Corps

When I joined Scarborough Firefighters fall of 1968, I was made aware of the rivalry with Midlanders. Midlanders and Firefighters were 2 Junior B corps that were close competitively. One would win, then the other would win. They flip-flopped for years. Midlanders had a great year in 1970 until September when Firefighters won Junior B Nationals. We were happy. I know. I was there and it's in my scrapbook. In later years, I met a number of Midlanders when they moved from London to Toronto, some went to De La Salle and 2 marched with Anaheim Kingsmen. I checked Midlanders website. They have a 1975 video but no 1970 video. I would like to hear 1970 again too. Firefighters and Midlanders were at many of the same contests in 1970 except U.S. Open. Corpsreps.com says Midlanders were first in Lynn MA August 22, 1970. Was the U.S. Open held in Lynn that year? I always thought it was in Marion Ohio? Cheers.

• Like 1

Corpsreps.com says Midlanders were first in Lynn MA August 22, 1970. Was the U.S. Open held in Lynn that year? I always thought it was in Marion Ohio? Cheers.

The Midlanders competed at World Open on August 21 (the "big" corps competed August 22). The U.S. Open was held on August 15 in Marion, OH. Interestingly enough all the corps (all classes) competed in the same contest at Marion, but the Class 'A' corps were separated out when the scores were announced.

Edited by Northern Thunder

When I joined Scarborough Firefighters fall of 1968, I was made aware of the rivalry with Midlanders. Midlanders and Firefighters were 2 Junior B corps that were close competitively. One would win, then the other would win. They flip-flopped for years.

You're so right when you say the two corps flip-flopped. In 1969 here's the way the head-to-head went between Firefighters and Midlanders:

May 31--Firefighters

June 15--Midlanders

June 28--Firefighters

July 1--Firefighters

July 12--Midlanders

August 24--Midlanders

September 6--Midlanders

After winter guard 1968-1969 and marching drum corp summer 1969, I was hooked. No more girl guides for me. I wanted to march guard and I did. A few of us went to De La Salle College fall of 1969 to watch football, hoping their drum corps would do a half time show (I have Del's football roster in my scrapbook). During the spring of 1970, I'd ride my bike to Keating Park and watch Toronto Optimists rehearse. In the summer of 1970, our drill instructor (the person who persuaded me to join drum corps) put me elbow to elbow with our 2 soloists. I learned a lot about music! In March 27 1971, there was a winter guard and individuals contest in Ottawa where I witnessed the talent of La Salle Cadets (amazing unrecorded performances). On September 3 1972 the top 3 Junior A Canadian Nationals scores were (as listed by corpsreps.com):

1 Toronto Optimists 81.400
2 DeLaSalle Oaklands 81.300
3 LaSalle Cadets 81.250

All 3 corps deserved to win. I'm so lucky to have been there to have witnessed great performances individually and collectively throughout my drum corps years as a performer and spectator. Good times. Good memories, however, remembering past drum corps and winter guard experiences is an emotional journey. I must bid adieu to you for now. Thank you.

• Like 1

I had seen both De La Salle and the Optimists in '72. The Optimists never beat De La Salle during that '72 season until that Nationals weekend.

De La Salle dominated Canada in '71, losing only one time to the Optimists on August 15, in Windsor. The "Oaklands" were one of my personal favorite corps that I saw in '71.

• 1 month later...

Hey Baja, yes they were. Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church. They later split the corps and became of the 27th Lancers. By the way were are you getting all that great stuff you're posting? Cool beans man.

Kemo

Well I think I would word that a little different than "split". The problem at the 1966 VFW Nationals played a major part on things. The "Starting Line Sit Down", Protest at Finals and all that.

Could not believe my eye's watching that at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City. ( I was with St. Lucy's Cadets that year. )

Edited by 2B or not 2B

• 5 months later...

1971 Individuals and winter guard show. Afterlogging into photobucket and uploading tonight, there were an ever increasing number of pop-ups. lick here, click there, click everywhere. After uploading, I tried to find the uploaded items, copy the url onto notepad and edit the document to strip the url of superfluous code until the begin IMG and end tag IMG. Then I login to DCP and copy paste on a reply. Please do not misconstrue this as a complaint. I'm simply relaying a personal fact during a point in time, now and today. Have a great winter. Hugs.

71-01-30_zpsz1llky42.jpg