Does this pass the sniff test?

Okay, I admit it, I'm an ###hole. I really do try to be nice though...

A man I really respect says I may be too harsh when I call this out as a scam....

so I'll share it with DCP....see what you guys say...

Here's the link

http://indianaeclipse.webs.com/

There's lots of neat little nuggets in there. Any Madison Cats remember this guy? Is he a straight shooter?

On April 9th this site was founded, and now they're "almost 75% of 1.6 million accounted for" funded according to their "executive director".

I found out about this group because they have the ability to buy an audition spot on their website, and I had a student ask me when he would be able to buy it.

Help a brother out....does it pass the sniff test...?

You tell me if I was too harsh...I have a WHOLE list of "huh?" comments, but I want to see if anyone else gets the raised eyebrows I do.

~M

They could be legit...

Best thing to do would be to perhaps ask DCI or WGI if they have passed their financial and organizational sniff test that they have to make in order to be in DCI and WGI.

A couple of things do concern me, though. If they would not concern DCI, I assume they've asked the questions and gotten a satisfactory answer.

Why is the BoD not filled? That alone would bring a concern to any ex-Westshoremen such as myself.

I also thought the Scouts were in Indiana now- would this not make their claim on their site innaccurate now?

They could be behind on updating their site, too.

Like I said if you're that worried, contact DCI. They have an answer I'm certain as to whether this corps has passed their checks so they can compete this season.

Edited by BigW

I've marched with about half of that staff. So from that standpoint, it's legit. However, looking at it, it looks to me to be a bunch of young cats trying to chase their dreams of running their own drum corps. I would obviously wish them the best knowing many of them very personally, but, will be curious to see how things run, especially from the top.

I also thought the Scouts were in Indiana now- would this not make their claim on their site innaccurate now?

I believe that their claim is accurate since, to my knowledge, the Scouts

are still officially based in Madison Wisconsin, even though they rehearse in Indiana.

Is the Tuba guy Howdy?

Michael Schmidt - Tubas

Michael Schmidt has 3o years experience teaching marching bands and drum and bugle corps. Michael is a former trumpet soloist with the Liberty University Marching Band, and the Florida Bible College Brass Ensemble. Michael was a member of the Chattahoochee Sound Association, North Star and Spirit of Atlanta drum and bugle corps. Michael is the former director of Heritage Drum and Bugle Corps. Michael is currently a trumpet soloist for the McMinn Jazz Society, Westwood Baptist Church, Oasis Revival Center , the Trumpet of the Lord, and the Etowah Town Band. Michael is a marching band instructor at McMinn Central High School, and is an adjudicator with the USSBA. Dr. Schmidt has played the trumpet for the Atlanta Hawks and the Atlanta Falcons. He has also taught at Spirit and Pioneer Drum and Bugle Corps.

That alone raises red flags.

Mike

• Haha 1

One more: I've seen that drill writer's stuff before. He writes some of the most un-cleanable stuff I've ever seen. Looks great on the computer, takes the entire season to get even halfway to clean, provided there are rewrites.

The corps may be legit, but, Im not so sure its sustainable.

Their website claims that they are going to lease four 55 passanger busses, outright purchase a new mobile kitchen (like The Cavaliers currently have), and march 22 tubas. What puts up a red flag for me is: Where are they getting the money to promise all of that?

OMG how did I not notice that....Howdy....Reminds me of RAMD...

One more tick in the "no way" column....

What about this director...he just aged out last year..?.. Can someone tell me a story that encapsulates their experiences with him? I mean, Dave GLasgow at 'Coats took over reallllly quick....but he was the DM...What did this guy do, he was a mello I think? Was he horn sergant or something..?

Anyway....carry on...and thanks...

~M

Edited by BigHoosierMack