The Return of Ludwig-Musser

Allan Murray, performer, instructor, designer and entrepreneur, has accepted a position with Ludwig-Musser to bring the label back to prominence as the new Director of Sales and Marketing.

Expect new designs to bring Ludwig-Musser into the 21st Century, and a new dedication to the marching percussion community.

I am confident that Allan will be successful in this challenge, as he has been in similar situations before. I'm looking forward to Ludwig-Musser taking a leadership role in drum corps and marching band once again.

Garry in Vegas

PS Whew! I've been sitting on this information for two weeks!

• Like 1

Allan Murray, performer, instructor, designer and entrepreneur, has accepted a position with Ludwig-Musser to bring the label back to prominence as the new Director of Sales and Marketing.

Expect new designs to bring Ludwig-Musser into the 21st Century, and a new dedication to the marching percussion community.

I am confident that Allan will be successful in this challenge, as he has been in similar situations before. I'm looking forward to Ludwig-Musser taking a leadership role in drum corps and marching band once again.

Garry in Vegas

PS Whew! I've been sitting on this information for two weeks!

Sorry....I don't see Allan being able to do anything near what you speak of here. Ludwig/Musser line won't depend on Sales and Marketing. It WILL depend on quality craftsmanship, extensive R&D and affordable costs. All of which drum corps and marching bands are receiving from many OTHER vendors.

• Like 1

It wasn't that long ago that Jupiter/Mapex were trying to enter the market. To me, if they come up with a good product, this makes perfect sense.

Ludwig-Musser is owned by Conn-Selmer. What else does Conn-Selmer own? KING! They probably got tired of seeing King lines stick with Pearl.

I'm sure that some corps will get a sweet package deal to become a King/Ludwig/Musser corps.

Edited by lowend
  • Like 1

Ludwig needs to make the product worth it for Al's sales skills to work their magic. I have full faith in Al's skills.

It's up to R&D now. premier has been touting their return and Tama is still talking a launch of marching stuff. but you have to have a product. Dynasty had one, and Al made them millions..and then Dynasty went to hell in spite of Al's efforts.

• Like 1

Sorry....I don't see Allan being able to do anything near what you speak of here. Ludwig/Musser line won't depend on Sales and Marketing. It WILL depend on quality craftsmanship, extensive R&D and affordable costs. All of which drum corps and marching bands are receiving from many OTHER vendors.

I have learned it is not wise to underestimate Al Murray's ability to pull off the seemingly impossible. If someone offers you a bet on this, it would be foolish to bet against him.

• Like 1

Interesting, but I don't see why it would make a difference. If Ludwig was really interested in this market then why wouldn't they just have examined the other successful products on the market (Pearl, Yamaha, etc...) and come up with a similar design with a similar level of quality. Doesn't seem like rocket science to me.

As someone whose DCI career was spent on Ludwig this is good news. I would love to see Ludwig return to prominence in marching percussion.

For you younger folks take a listen to the mid-80s Spirit of Atlanta lines. To me that is the best tenor sound ever.

As someone whose DCI career was spent on Ludwig this is good news. I would love to see Ludwig return to prominence in marching percussion.

For you younger folks take a listen to the mid-80s Spirit of Atlanta lines. To me that is the best tenor sound ever.

The key to using Ludwig's (at least BITD) was to have Ludwig silverspot heads on them. They were still heavy as snot, but sounded freakin great. Kevlar heads were the end of Ludwig's ability to stay relevant.

Ludwig used to be the absolute best in the marching percussion game. I actually hope they make it happen!

• Like 1

I still have sore fingers from trying to keep the Ludwigs in tune 35 years ago, but when they were they sounded sweet as chocolate cake.

The silver spots were the key; they deadened ring and made the steel snares buzz without an after-bite.

Gosh, the YEARS I spent tuning those drums on the bus headed to competitions and shows. My seat partner was always named Ludwig!

I'd love to see them come back, but the competition from today's Yamahas and Pearls is mighty fierce, and nostalgia doesn't seem to sell in today's drum corps. sad.gif

• Like 1