Cavaliers vs. Blucoats 2010 Color Guard

So....the other night a friend of mine and I watched the Bluecoats and Cavaliers 2010 Championship performances back to back and felt that Bluecoats Color Guard was cleaner than the Cavaliers Color Guard. We checked out the recaps...and observed the following,

Cavaliers 19.70

Bluecoats 19.10

So...for those of you who (Especially those in the know with Color Guards) have the ability to watch these two 2010 Championship performances...take a look and let me know what ya think......

Did the judges get it right ?

We think the judges got it wrong. At the very least...the spread is two wide.

I also think the marching/visual scores look a bit off as well. Sure...Cavies had a lot more transitions...but the shaping and intervals were sloppy. Up until the ballad...the Bluecoats marching looked really good...

• Like 1

i thought cavaliers guard was fantastic

I thought they were fantastic as well.....were comparing the 2nd and 3rd place corps...they are pretty good at that level. But...we just think Bluecoats should have scored higher.

Have you watched the performances back to back on the web or a dvd ?

saw them live. IMO, the difference was both performed well, But cavies tried and achieved a heckuva lot more

All I know is that our guard was the best I've ever seen it, though I have to say that I think the Quarter- or Semifinals performances may have been better for them. The Cavaliers consistently have a great guard and I really don't know enough about guard to compare the two.

• Like 2

So....the other night a friend of mine and I watched the Bluecoats and Cavaliers 2010 Championship performances back to back and felt that Bluecoats Color Guard was cleaner than the Cavaliers Color Guard. We checked out the recaps...and observed the following,

Cavaliers 19.70

Bluecoats 19.10

So...for those of you who (Especially those in the know with Color Guards) have the ability to watch these two 2010 Championship performances...take a look and let me know what ya think......

Did the judges get it right ?

We think the judges got it wrong. At the very least...the spread is two wide.

I also think the marching/visual scores look a bit off as well. Sure...Cavies had a lot more transitions...but the shaping and intervals were sloppy. Up until the ballad...the Bluecoats marching looked really good...

Um...no.

There were lots of 'interesting things' about the guard judging at finals but putting Cavies over Bluecoats was not one of them.

• Like 2

2 things:

First, cleanliness is not the only thing being judged.

Second, what you see on the dvd is not necessarily what the judges saw.

The Cavies guard performed the hell out of that show and provided the theatrics to help convey the theme of "MAD WORLD" to the audience. While watching both shows live multiple times and on DVD, I found myself(not a guard person) watching the Cavies guard alot, the 'Coats while they were good/clean nothin really stood out for me or provided those "wow" moments.

...and as far as visual design. the difficulty and transitions of Cavies program and Michael Gaines' drill was on another level, sorry. The few spacing errors/mistakes they had kept the score from being closer to BD, not closer to the Bluecoats.

And i agree with another post that said what the judges see live is completely different then the multiple times we get to watch it on DVD. The Cavaliers as a whole performed and sold that show to the audience on finals night, I think the Bluecoats may have had their best performance during quarters/semis.

Edited by GREENBLUE