Cesario steps up as DCI's Artistic Director

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=2c49d9a5-1618-4726-8b2a-b530632ae82c

Field Pass with Dan Potter talking with Cesario about Drum Corps.

I'm no journalist so please tell me if I misinterpreted or misunderstood some aspects of my summary:

Cesario discusses the need for DCI to respond better to the audiences and in the future wants to get back to those aspects of drum corps that the older generation fell in love with. but at the same time not "loosing everything that we've gained since then".

He talks about changing the way shows are judged. There will be "3 Visual judge liaisons and 3 music judge liaisons" who will be "out on the field, actually judging" but will be readily available to other judges to have constant discussions. The liaisons will have weekly meetings with Cesario to discuss whatever needs discussing. He names a few people that have already been assigned these positions.

He says the sheets won't change that much but he wants to keep them "open" for "any kind of things to go through" and "if it's legit, we're going to try to reward it"

Talks about a new Rules and Systems Task Force and names people heading the task force.

Current rule changes on the Docket: George Hopkin's proposal for an "overall General effect" judge to make a decision based everything and the entire competition. ("as a ...fan would do") and Jim Mason's proposal for an "entertainment effect" adjudicator where corps entertainment components of the show are evaluated and introduced to the score.

He discusses what his new position means in regards to "helping" other shows. "It's not the content, it's how it's presented." ... "Making sure shows have that immense scale and scope that... what we love about drum corps"

He is strongly encouraging all corps to "be themselves" and play to each of their personalities and contribute in their own unique style. He also wants to get rid of the perception that just because a corps isn't doing what the other guy is doing that they aren't going to get points. "It's a competition, not a concert" he says in respect to how corps want to get points but should not sacrifice "who they are" in the process.

Thoughts?

Edited by charlie1223

Might listen later, cliffs notes without listening to the whole podcast?

To quickly sum it up.

He has started the conversation on judging changes for the year 2012 with proposing liaisons (3 for visual and 3 for music).

He wants a Rules System Task Force.

George Hopkins suggested an Overall GE Judge. Jim Mason suggested an Entertainment Judge.

Lastly, he wants corps to be able to keep their distinctive identities without having to copycat for higher placement, so the audience member gets a greater variety of performances rather than 25 cookie cutter programs.

Why does DCI need an artistic director? Artistic directors make programming decisions for their organizations - is Cesario going to be charged with approving programs that the corps want to do?

If not, then why the hell embarrass the activity by totally misusing a commonly understood job title?

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=2c49d9a5-1618-4726-8b2a-b530632ae82c

Current rule changes on the Docket: George Hopkin's proposal for an "overall General effect" judge to make a decision based everything and the entire competition. ("as a ...fan would do") and Jim Mason's proposal for an "entertainment effect" adjudicator where corps entertainment components of the show are evaluated and introduced to the score.

What? No!

The way I see it is that some big name corps will always take home the trophies, never any space for the smaller ones.

How is a small corps say like, Crossmen, are supposed to improve if they can't get a straight score? And well, I guess it goes for all the other corps too.

But at least give the tiny ones a chance! How are the small ones supposed to get some attention? It's true that do receive some, but compared to big ones, it barely registers!

This is like G7 crap all over again! George wants to rule the world!

Why does DCI need an artistic director? Artistic directors make programming decisions for their organizations - is Cesario going to be charged with approving programs that the corps want to do?

If not, then why the hell embarrass the activity by totally misusing a commonly understood job title?

Worse than that -- everyone it seems decided to post that link on FB. So this 12_08_2010_cesario_fieldpass.jpg

just kept appearing all day :colgate:

• Like 1

overall effect is a joke when it's used. And an entertainment judge...well, who defines entertainment? DCA is also fighting this, and I'm very leery as of yet on how they want to tweak their GE sheets.

here's the way to fix it...judge the actual sheet. reward corps that touch on each third of the triad of effect, not those that really super heavily on one or two thirds. Stop making effect so design heavy and more on performance.

and where I do agree is on how it's presented. arrangement is 100% the key.

I attended a clinic he was at a few years ago, and that so sums up what he said then. it was indoor based, but it applies here. Don't design shows that are all about all the cool technical things....judges are fans too. Make them laugh, cry, hoot and holler. Ever hear that Dave Richards tape on youtube of the Troopers?

that's a guy getting into the moment, because the corps delivered a moment.

Edited by Jeff Ream