Most likely to win first/beat Blue Devils?

158 members have voted

1. 1. Between these two corps, who is most likely to win their first ring in 2011?

2. 2. Which corps is most likely to end BD's undefeated streak in 2011?

• The Cavaliers
    • Bluecoats
    • Carolina Crown
    • The Cadets
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Blue Stars
    • Boston Crusaders
    • Madison Scouts
    • Blue Knights
    • Glassmen

Yeah, but that's only 4 years, and in that time, BD had two undefeated seasons, in which no one beat them, and in 2008, SCV finished 7th and didn't have a closer until Stanford. What's your point? If any corps has the ability to top BD early season, it's going to be SCV, unless we're counting ToC, in which I'm thinking Cavies. SCV has the best streak of beating BD at early season shows, no matter what the end result of the season was.

My point is no one has even been in the same ballpark as BD, especially SCV, and I don't see them being the upsetting corps.

• Like 1

Yeah, but that's only 4 years, and in that time, BD had two undefeated seasons, in which no one beat them, and in 2008, SCV finished 7th and didn't have a closer until Stanford. What's your point? If any corps has the ability to top BD early season, it's going to be SCV, unless we're counting ToC, in which I'm thinking Cavies. SCV has the best streak of beating BD at early season shows, no matter what the end result of the season was.

My point is no one has even been in the same ballpark as BD, especially SCV, and I don't see them being the upsetting corps.

You can see it that way, I just see it as a challenge to the other corps to step it up. It just shows that BD is most vulnerable to be beaten either at the beginning or the end of the season, and with the ToC shows, there is the best chance for someone to top them. And even once normal DCI sanctioned shows start, these top corps will have extra shows under their belt already, and could be looking to make a strike. Remember everyone, BD is 11 shows away from the undefeated record of 66 shows....

You can see it that way, I just see it as a challenge to the other corps to step it up. It just shows that BD is most vulnerable to be beaten either at the beginning or the end of the season, and with the ToC shows, there is the best chance for someone to top them. And even once normal DCI sanctioned shows start, these top corps will have extra shows under their belt already, and could be looking to make a strike. Remember everyone, BD is 11 shows away from the undefeated record of 66 shows....

^^^

Marches SCV. Of course he's going to be optimistic. :thumbup:

You know Bone, the real question here is "will other capable corps step out with their own form of the new BD model of Cirque-type design/production and music that is anything but traditional"? I say "capable" because, let's face it, there's really only 3 or 4 corps that are of the caliber (this year) to challenge BD. Madison and PR will continue to build this year and SCV (only real dark horse) is posturing to move up, but CC, Cadets, Cavies and Bloo have the chops (presently) to challenge. BUT......(IMO) anyone who goes normal staight ahead (Ream/Brasso lovin' it) drum corps this year, won't challenge. If they go traditional...the dinos will certainly need Depends to wipe away their tears of remembrance and continue to wonder and blather on as to why the judges still don't get it. Now, if everyone goes traditional this year (including BD...fat chance) it's a crap-shoot based strictly on field chops....which means...forget it...3-peat (probably unscathed)!

So, which design team can match BD at their own game? I say Cavies & CC. If that happens, Katie bar the door...this is going to be fun one!!!! Also, on the other side of the Bay, SCV needs another year or two but WILL embrace the BD model and WILL prevail eventually (Fiedler is building his team). Bloo will hover near the top, but will not win if they stay hyper-traditional (which will be the same for Madison at their level).

In short.....sorry dinos, me thinks our design warriors out there don't need another example this year as to why "outside the box" gets you "inside box 5".

• Like 1

^^^

Marches SCV. Of course he's going to be optimistic. :thumbup:

Not relevant to the conversation. I'm just speaking with facts here. All biases aside. Or should I bring up that you marched Colts every time you pop up in a conversation?

You know Bone, the real question here is "will other capable corps step out with their own form of the new BD model of Cirque-type design/production and music that is anything but traditional"? I say "capable" because, let's face it, there's really only 3 or 4 corps that are of the caliber (this year) to challenge BD. Madison and PR will continue to build this year and SCV (only real dark horse) is posturing to move up, but CC, Cadets, Cavies and Bloo have the chops (presently) to challenge. BUT......(IMO) anyone who goes normal staight ahead (Ream/Brasso lovin' it) drum corps this year, won't challenge. If they go traditional...the dinos will certainly need Depends to wipe away their tears of remembrance and continue to wonder and blather on as to why the judges still don't get it. Now, if everyone goes traditional this year (including BD...fat chance) it's a crap-shoot based strictly on field chops....which means...forget it...3-peat (probably unscathed)!

So, which design team can match BD at their own game? I say Cavies & CC. If that happens, Katie bar the door...this is going to be fun one!!!! Also, on the other side of the Bay, SCV needs another year or two but WILL embrace the BD model and WILL prevail eventually (Fiedler is building his team). Bloo will hover near the top, but will not win if they stay hyper-traditional (which will be the same for Madison at their level).

In short.....sorry dinos, me thinks our design warriors out there don't need another example this year as to why "outside the box" gets you "inside box 5".

Actually, I think you're spot on. It's not always something I might agree on direction-wise, but i still think you're right. It's what's being rewarded, so if any corps' design team wants a chance to knock off BD, they're going to have to follow the template that has been laid out before them. When Cadets starting winning in the 80s, people started doing harder drill, when Star took 4 straight brass titles, and BD dominated in the 90s, brass became the feature. And when Cavies three-peated in the early 00s, visual became the master. Follow the new curve, or get left behind.

Let's hope they can do it without going all cirque. :tongue: One corps is enough. I think we have an entertainment Czar to make sure that corps can still be themselves and score high without copying BD.

Actually, I think you're spot on. It's not always something I might agree on direction-wise, but i still think you're right. It's what's being rewarded, so if any corps' design team wants a chance to knock off BD, they're going to have to follow the template that has been laid out before them. When Cadets starting winning in the 80s, people started doing harder drill, when Star took 4 straight brass titles, and BD dominated in the 90s, brass became the feature. And when Cavies three-peated in the early 00s, visual became the master. Follow the new curve, or get left behind.

Or you could create your own new path and leave everyone else in the dust. That is what the cadets did in the 80's, the blue devils in the mid to late 90's, the cavaliers in early 2000's, and the Blue Devils again did as of late. Copying what is working might get you a title or two, but making your own formula for success will make you a dynasty.