Judging Amplification and Electronics

Solution.
DCI has several sets of high end electronics, provides them at shows (funded by the money corps would spend individually).

Can only be used to produce sound that can't be produced live (so no voice, no amplification, no low bass...only "sound effects").
Reduces sense of "cheating", reduces set up time, reduces technical failures, etc.

Solution.

Limit tuition to $500 + food and transportation.
Effect: Makes drum corps accessible to thousands of kids.

Limit prop, uniform, flag, etc. budgets. Limit salaries. Limit other costs.

Effect: Limits effect of finances on scores. $500 tuition is adequate.

Impose $5000 "education reimbursement" fee when any performer who has previously signed contract with a world class corps signs a contract with a different world class corps. Second corps must pay the fee to the first corps.
Effect: Shifts extra cost of educating "newbies" to corps that actually benefits. Encourages "newbies" to march in Open corps. Encourages loyalty to corps. Discourages recruitment out of other corps.

• 4 weeks later...

why is it that the audio system does not have to be operated by a corps member. when the idea for electronics was pitched it was under the idea that this would be educational. instead we see non-members operating the audio systems. Be it horn, percussion, guard equipment, or own personal body, the members perform the show in its entirety. when then is it ok to have a non-member in charge of such (what is becoming) a large part of the ensemble? When the idea to use electronics was pitched it was about education and students having access to use this tool. http://www.dci.org/rules/pdf/2008/06_electronics.pdf%C2'>

• Like 1

Question: In light of the new electronics proposal passing, can you explain specifically how electronics is handled by the DCI judging system? Which captions evaluate A&E and what are their individual responsibilities in that regard? Is there specific language on the judging sheets regarding the use of electronics and amplification?

In the past there have been many complaints about the balance of electronics and amplified sound relative to the level of the brass and percussion. Is the quality of this balance adjudicated? Is reinforcing a brass part considered a legitimate use of electronics or is it discouraged ?

Sometimes there are clearly technical problems with sound equipment (buzzes, static and other non-desirable sounds). Sometimes the equipment fails and the audience can't hear the intended sound. Are these failures treated the same as undesirable sounds from the brass or percussion?

The sound systems seem to be highly directional and focused to judges. Is there an effort to make sure that the entire (or at least a large part of) audience is able to hear a balanced ensemble sound from performing corps?

Answer: (from Michael Cesario, DCI Artistic Director)

As with anything new, the evaluative process at Drum Corps International grows any time a new idea is adopted. The same is true for Amplification and Electronics. The rules are actually quite specific about what can and cannot be used, but the creativity of the Performers and Arrangers is really just now beginning to be explored. Some timbres and textures that were previously unavailable are finding their way into today's productions, with everything from harp and celeste voices to thunderclaps and ocean sounds becoming part of an expanded musical score.

The Music Judges, including Percussion, consider all the voices presented, each according to their caption. Certainly, overbalanced electronic contributions might not garner the same credit that a well-balanced ensemble would receive. In recent weeks, the Voting Membership of DCI passed a rule change to allow the balance of the amplified and electronic voices to be controlled from audience/grandstand/press box areas. Since the acoustic atmosphere changes dramatically from venue to venue, it was felt that the control of volume and balance might be better adjusted from "out front". Much of the aural blend also regards field placement of Percussive and Brass voices. After all, if the tubas are in front of us, we expect to hear them. In fact, they may be featured at that moment, and we would not want an even blanket of non-directional sound to encompass the entire stadium.

A broken piece of electronic equipment is treated similarly to a broken drumhead or broken rifle. It may or may not affect the overall impact of the show, the ensemble cohesiveness, or the ability of the performer to achieve excellence. As with those events, the program may not receive the credit it might when all is going smoothly, but there is no specific penalty for an equipment breakdown.

[Additional response within thread below]

As a professional entertainment technician, i would like to see the rules as written to better understand what can and cannot be used. I would also like to see how this is reinforced. I do believe that if this is treated as a "system" then also should this not be treated as the mellophone section. If they could not play, as they are an integral part of the ensemble, should there not be a repercussion? This isn't a single instrument in a section of other electronics. The electronics function as a section in their entirety.

• 2 months later...

I enjoy the discussion on this topic. I am a musician (not a good one..but) and a former marching member of a DCI corps that long ago went out of the endzone never to return. I am currently, however a fan of DCI and the father of another fan of DCI. I'm glad my daughter enjoys the activity. She's going to be a band director and will likely continue to promote the activity throughout her professional career. I am also, not a hater of the changes that DCI has undergone. I think that the product on the field from WC Corps 1 - 26 and all of the OC Corps is significantly higher than it was 10-15 years ago.

Long winded intro to a brief statement:

If corps are going to see benefit of higher scores for the effects of using electronics or amplification then they should also see a negative effect to scores when that equipment is not functioning properly or is operated outside of good musical delivery.

Thanks in advance for any responses. Positive or negative.

D Hawkins

I enjoy the discussion on this topic. I am a musician (not a good one..but) and a former marching member of a DCI corps that long ago went out of the endzone never to return. I am currently, however a fan of DCI and the father of another fan of DCI. I'm glad my daughter enjoys the activity. She's going to be a band director and will likely continue to promote the activity throughout her professional career. I am also, not a hater of the changes that DCI has undergone. I think that the product on the field from WC Corps 1 - 26 and all of the OC Corps is significantly higher than it was 10-15 years ago.

Long winded intro to a brief statement:

If corps are going to see benefit of higher scores for the effects of using electronics or amplification then they should also see a negative effect to scores when that equipment is not functioning properly or is operated outside of good musical delivery.

Thanks in advance for any responses. Positive or negative.

D Hawkins

As stated here and elsewhere, I'm sure you are aware that DCI does not evaluate based off of a "tic" system. If equipment does not function properly, there is no explicit penalty assessed, nor is there an obvious, "electronics malfunction, loss of .5"

It is entirely plausible that if electronics don't work out, corps do not receive as much credit as they would if they do work: just like any other effect. I can understand why fans might feel frustrated because that assessment might not be obvious: and it might not even be substantial. It's possible that unless there is consistent, egregious issues an electronics malfunction will not affect a placement: maybe a spread, but not necessarily a placement.

Also, as with the vast majority of adjudication issues, there is no black/white, hard or fast rule when it comes to evaluating captions. Each performance is taken on its own and compared with other performances that night.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

why is it that the audio system does not have to be operated by a corps member. when the idea for electronics was pitched it was under the idea that this would be educational. instead we see non-members operating the audio systems. Be it horn, percussion, guard equipment, or own personal body, the members perform the show in its entirety. when then is it ok to have a non-member in charge of such (what is becoming) a large part of the ensemble? When the idea to use electronics was pitched it was about education and students having access to use this tool.

can you truly control blend and balance from inside the ensemble?

no you cannot

As stated here and elsewhere, I'm sure you are aware that DCI does not evaluate based off of a "tic" system. If equipment does not function properly, there is no explicit penalty assessed, nor is there an obvious, "electronics malfunction, loss of .5"

It is entirely plausible that if electronics don't work out, corps do not receive as much credit as they would if they do work: just like any other effect. I can understand why fans might feel frustrated because that assessment might not be obvious: and it might not even be substantial. It's possible that unless there is consistent, egregious issues an electronics malfunction will not affect a placement: maybe a spread, but not necessarily a placement.

Also, as with the vast majority of adjudication issues, there is no black/white, hard or fast rule when it comes to evaluating captions. Each performance is taken on its own and compared with other performances that night.

while in the spirit of things what you say is sound, too often electronics issues are given a pass. No one wants to be "that guy" to truly take a stand and make a call. it's job security suicide.

Edited by Jeff Ream

• 2 weeks later...

can you truly control blend and balance from inside the ensemble?

no you cannot

you didnt read that very well. my concern isn't about the placement of the FOH tech. My concern is that its a hired gun instead of a member.

Technically there is no benefit of electronics in drum corps. This concept was taken from the HBCU show band system. Electronics for this group of bands was to introduce singers, songs and basically to hype the crowd. And really according to DCI's own rules for age, membership and so forth all of the electronics must be operated by a corps member; because that person(s) are to be part of the marching group and below the age of 21. This is one big part of modern day drum corps that has been smoodge over amonst the hirarchy. In real drum corps to hype the crowd you played great selections of music, dynamic chords ("G" horn style), great drumming and a color guard that accented everything. Let's get these music arrangers to prove themselves (skillwise) and not rely on electronics. If you want true musically electricity then write better, arrange better march better. Drum corps audiences are not dumb and do reconize real and true talent.