Judging Amplification and Electronics

But there is an advantage to using electronics to amplify the pit instruments. marimbas, xylos, and such. its better for both the player and the instrument. with the amplification the performer can use proper concert technique instead of having to hammer on the instruments to keep up volume and blend with the battery and hornlines. the players dont wreck their hands and wrists anymore with the electronic help.

• Like 5

Technically there is no benefit of electronics in drum corps. This concept was taken from the HBCU show band system. Electronics for this group of bands was to introduce singers, songs and basically to hype the crowd.

No it was not "taken" from that system,a s great as those bands are...the corps-style marching band world has permitted electronics...well...pretty much always. I know I saw electric guitars in the 70's in corps-style HS MB shows. They should have been added to drum corps years ago.

• 3 months later...

I am gratified that my book, Spectacular Sound Mixing,

http://xtremebrass.com/store/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=28

has been adopted by Drum Corps International as required reading and training manual for all music adjudicators.

This will provide some degree of standardization for the evaluation of how sound systems may be best integrated into field shows.

Some DCI corps have already been making use of this resource and it may soon be adopted by the BOA and DCA folks, as well.

• Like 5

If we intend to use Occam's Razor correctly- begin with the following:

"All things being equal-the simplest solution is the correct one."

In the 90s, if it rained...the show went w/o a front ensemble. Water damages keyboards and marimbas-can't change that!

...if it rained hard...we did standstills under awnings so the fans who've driven hundreds of miles and spent lots of money to see us don't miss out on the music...which is the right thing to do...sometimes shows get rained-out- DCI doesn't obligate corps to even show up when this goes down....

It is dangerous enough to jazz-run and make high -speed direction changes and pass-thrus on a wet field...wet sockets, wires and plugs? Fuggetaboutit! unsafe...even for drum corps.

This is clearly going to be a problem moving into the future as technology evolves along with the activity. I recently caught a YT clip of BlueCoats 2014 Closer and yes...there would be a dramatic decrease in General Effect if a transformer or a gennie blew....

Applying Occams Razor again...we can see (above) that a Hall-of-Fame, Grammy-winning Producer and Life-Long Drum Corps Aficionado has taken it upon himself to consider the more complicated aspects of this issue, how to judge it fairly and make it as entertaining as possible.

Noting that his recommendations have been adopted by DCI... I consider this issue (while dynamic) ...not a thing to get too worked up about.

Level heads will prevail.

At a lower technical level...we added trombones to the first big impact in the Santa Clara 2014 program. SCV ALWAYS has a big in-your-face audio-visual moment in the opener that says "We're here...it's on...let's rock." Pre-season the use of tbns got bashed left-and right, after they came down to SoCal we cranked the volume up several notches on that impact point using the 'bones natural ability to be played loud as ####...I was next to the press box at Citrus College....adjutants and fans agreed; tbns became a non-issue. We made it bad-a##...we made it sound awesome-that ended the argument.

(For me anyway).

I expect something similar to come of the technology and rule changes ...simply...it's going to get better.

you didnt read that very well. my concern isn't about the placement of the FOH tech. My concern is that its a hired gun instead of a member.

A member is not allowed outside of the competition field.

• 2 weeks later...

A member is not allowed outside of the competition field.

then dedicate a space for the engineers to set up. but stop allowing it to be a non-member.

then dedicate a space for the engineers to set up. but stop allowing it to be a non-member.

Finding a trained audio engineer that meets the age standards, let alone one willing to do it for no pay, would be incredibly difficult. The current rules are fine.

This is where I disagree. I do not believe it's ok that a hired gun is to be responsible for a part of the ensemble score. If they are to be factored into the numbers, then they should be a part of the membership.

Many of these people in college, are way better trained than youre giving them credit for. The average 18 year old undergrad handles shows, concerts, and events way more complex than DCI. They could handle it, and make it their own amazing experience. And even design the system and effects going into the show, often improving the content they would be given.

you want to argue who wants to go on tour, pay money, and manage an ensemble's electronics. that's the perfect way to train the next generation of audio engineers and touring music techs. the same argument could be said for who wants to run around a field in the hot sun playing a horn, beating a drum, flapping their arms, or waving some inanimate object.

honestly many summer audio internships are crappy. dealing with a warehouse and gear going on tour without the intern, or sitting in a studio recording music when the competition nowadays are people with home studios or artists who simply do it all on their own.

There are thousands of schools that have degrees in audio engineering. Tap into it. At the end of the summer those members will be on a broadcast, be a part of a distributed download, and have something larger to show for it.

no corps is going to haul someone around all summer for free. And, for no money, no one is going to put up with the #### they will deal with if something goes wrong.

• Like 2