What are the best corps to never make finals?

87 Wave (but I'm a little partial) - and we only had about 35 horns. It was incredibly difficult to recruit in S FL at that time.

83 Geneseo Knights was the biggest, let me put this nicely, "mess-up" I've ever sen in DCI. They should have been about 8th or 9th. Crossmen spent all summer dreaming that they could play Russlan and Ludmilla half as well. (Not a put down of Xmen, but Geneseo was that good. Their 12 mellos on the front sideline knocked it out!)

82 Suncoast was a hard pill to swallow too.

• Like 2

I can't promise 100% accuracy, but as best I can figure...

Most Top 17 appearances without a Finals appearance

5 Southwind (1995, 1999-2001, 2005)

4 Capital Regiment (2002, 2004-2006)

3 The Academy (2007, 2009, 2010)

3 Kiwanis Kavaliers (1996-1998)

3 Les Eclipses (1984-1986)

3 Mandarins (2001, 2005, 2006)

3 Pacific Crest (2003, 2007, 2008)

2 Florida Wave (1987, 1988)

2 Geneseo Knights (1982, 1983)

2 Les Etoiles (1996, 1998)

2 Pioneer (1999, 2000)

2 Polish Falcon Cadets (1974, 1975)

2 Spectra-Heightsmen Alliance (1982, 1983)

2 Watkins Glen Squires (1975, 1976)

put in the Bracken Cavaliers 72 VFW champs

1998 Magic.....that horn book was amazing!!!

• Like 1

Southwind

No kidding. Two more weeks and I'm almost positive Scouts would have been in the top 10 that summer.

You know, I can get that sentiment a little bit ("if only so-and-so had an extra week or two, they would've placed higher"). But that always seems a bit asinine to me, as the poster assumes that no other corps would've improved over the same two-week span.

• Like 5

Riding a late season surge, Florida Wave placed 13th in '87, but dropped to around 15th or 16th in '88.

In '88 Dutch Boy placed 13th, the beginning of a spectacular run of three 13th place finishes in four years (broken up by one finals appearance, in 1990).

Like many of the corps mentioned in this thread, both FW and DB were solid, entertaining teams with distinctive identities. The activity has been diminished by the loss of groups like these from the world class arena.

Peace,

Fred O.

Blue Knights 1990

and

Freelancers 1990 should have made finals.

You know, I can get that sentiment a little bit ("if only so-and-so had an extra week or two, they would've placed higher"). But that always seems a bit asinine to me, as the poster assumes that no other corps would've improved over the same two-week span.

But the difference between Scouts 07 and every corps above them is that Scouts had an incomplete show the day of semis. The show was designed to end in the opposite endzone. If you caught the show early season, you probally saw the first version of the show with the complete ending. The week of Allentown all the drill from the first impact to the the closer was changed. I'll never forget the "free form" to get to the old drill to complete the show.

I'll say it to the day I leave this earth. Two more weeks and Scouts would have, without a doubt, made finals that year.

• Like 1

But the difference between Scouts 07 and every corps above them is that Scouts had an incomplete show the day of semis. The show was designed to end in the opposite endzone. If you caught the show early season, you probally saw the first version of the show with the complete ending. The week of Allentown all the drill from the first impact to the the closer was changed. I'll never forget the "free form" to get to the old drill to complete the show.

I'll say it to the day I leave this earth. Two more weeks and Scouts would have, without a doubt, made finals that year.

I understand this. Different shows have different "ceilings" for lack of a better term. Though I was thrilled Phantom held on to 4th place at the time, in hindsight I'm completely certain that given another week (heck, another DAY) Vanguard would have just BLOWN by them in 2003.