Drum Corps Parade on Finals Day

Ah - I just had a better idea - How about a parade on Sunday for the finalists corps? They could call it the POC, or parade of champions. I'm sure all 12 corps would just be thrilled to do that. You know marketing for the next year....

(sarcasm)

• Like 2

Yes parades are not fun, but it is always cool to see people get really excited or impressed when we play/march by! Although normally what I hear is something along the lines of " wow! that band is really good!"

There are thousands of Indy parade spectators in late May for the annual Indianapolis 500 Festival Parade. One of the great elements of the parade is the opportunity to see the 33 drivers up close and personal. This encourages paradegoers to then buy a ticket to the Brickyard.

Similarly, in a DCI parade, fans and potential ticket buyers have the opportunity to see and hear several corps up close and personal.

As many of us stay in downtown Indy hotels during Finals week, there should be a great turn out. Indianapolis-area schools can also be invited to march - shorts and T-shirts as uniforms are fine. What a thrill for these young musicians to march with the drum corps. Plus this would help fill more seats that night at Lucas.

• Like 4

if not for the U.S. Open parade, I wouldn't have got the drum corps bug...

• Like 1

I'm with Dean in Chicago. First thing I thought of was how great for the Corps that didn't make finals to get to hear one last time clapping and cheering just for THEM! With no more retreats and no more trooping the stands, they only get recognition after their show is finished, not up close and personal. Yeah, marching a parade is a pain at the time, but if everyone got out there and cheered them on, it will be one more memory for them to take home and then look back on.

• Like 1

We voted to do this... to promote the activity and to invite more folks to have a reason to get excited about drum corps.

• Like 7

I must be in the minority then, I greatly enjoyed doing parades. During a show we (I) had few opportunities to see how the crowd is reacting, during a parade the crowd reaction was immediate and visible to the members... and was always favorable. People really do love parades.

We voted to do this... to promote the activity and to invite more folks to have a reason to get excited about drum corps.

Sounds like a mighty good reason to me.

Honestly this is the right direction to go in!

DCI should make Finals week (or Thursday, Friday, and Saturday) the equivalent to a Drum Corps World's Fair. Pulling out all the stops to make it truly a spectacle!

*Dream Sequence*

I imagine that if it were possible, for finals week to house all the drum corps with in 15 minutes of each other or less. Have there be shuttles between all the corps and their rehearsing sites. Everyone gets a schedule of events at each corps housing site and they can plan which events they want to see and have the shuttle take them there. Each corps will have unique clinics, speakers, interactive events, food related things, souvie giveaways, etc. and of course you'd be able to watch (maybe participate) in rehearsal/warm ups. These things would happen the few days before Quarterfinals. Then the festivities move to the Indianapolis area where DCI pulls out all the stops in the convention center and the dome! It'll be like the Epcot of Drum corps!

:lookaround: Uh?! WHAT?! oh, I'm awake now! :w00t:

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 4

I would've wanted my last performance in the corps proper to be on the field in semifinals. Not at a parade for the non-finalists. It's a great idea. But from a member's perspective, maybe not the best possible experience.