Who really thinks...

Just wanted to pipe in on the highlighted statement above. There are many more members marching more than three years than I think people realize. My son is in his seventh season of DCI this year, and there are quite a few other people marching with him this year that are in their fifth through seventh year in the same corps. The financial part is not as bad as people think with all of the sponsorship options and fundraisers available, and the members who take care of themselves physically all year long normally do not have any problems marching many years. Yes, there are quite a few one-and-done people in drum corps today, but there is also a significant group that marches in DCI for five plus years still.

Of course. I know people that have marched 5+ years, I aged out with one person that had marched 8 seasons, 6 with one corps. If you start early, and know what you're getting into, than a long career in DCI is possible. This is somewhat dependent on your surroundings. If someone has a program in high school that encourages marching, or has friends/siblings/parents that have marched, or lives near a corps, that helps set those wheels in motion.

I think it's really cool that you and your son have had many years in the activity as MMs, but sometimes there are outside forces keeping us off the rehearsal field. Mine personally were money, not knowing how to play a horn, and a lack of a 'can-do' attitude. Everyone that has marched knows the rigors of getting onto the field, it just takes some of us longer to get it together.

I'll echo the sentiment on the "cut list".

It's difficult to get from many corps, and many hold onto the "lists" to fill holes later in the season.

I think many of the corps that are still in the 30-40 brass member range are still very strong, both from a playing standpoint and administratively. One of the plus sides to expensive travel is that many of the corps that can hack a tour year after year are successful enough to survive. Exposing these groups to more people is definitely a good thing.

A lot of kids get cut from WC, not because of talent or lack thereof, but because the corps simply doesn't have enough room for them. What happens? They wind up sitting home all summer polishing a couch with their backside instead of being on the feild where they belong. What a waste of talent.

• Like 1

A lot of kids get cut from WC, not because of talent or lack thereof, but because the corps simply doesn't have enough room for them. What happens? They wind up sitting home all summer polishing a couch with their backside instead of being on the feild where they belong. What a waste of talent.

It was unfortunate, but a BIG World Class corps strung my son along with FOUR call-backs. Immediately after call-back number four, out of fear that he might not be selected and that it might then be too late for him to get on elsewhere, he demanded that he be accepted or cut. The corps chose to cut him and he was able to rejoin his old OC corps, but just in time. Shame on that WC corps for stringing the kid along to the point that he almost found himself out in the cold... in his age-out year.

This thread was put here to get the OPEN Class group-fired up. Every Drum and Bugle Corps be it DCA, World Class, OPEN CLASS, Small Corps, Alumni Corps, you name it, I want to see it! I come on here and at any one time there are 2 to 3 people checking you all out(not good) - lets get the OPEN class group of members, staffs, fans - Known!

Who really thinks that the SPARTANS are going to beat the Academy?

Who really thinks that MUSIC CITY! is going to beat the TROOPERS?

Who really thinks BDB is going to beat the MANDARINS?

Who really thinks SCVC is going to beat TEAL SOUND?

Who really thinks REVOLUTION is going to beat THE MADISON SCOUTS?

Could this happen? Maybe! I like Drum Corps being a " on any givin night, you can win, kind of product"

GLASSMEN-12th

ACADEMY!

TROOPERS!

Spirit of Atlanta!

CROSSMEN!

Pacific Crest!

MANDARINS!

Teal Sound!

Jersey Surf!

CASCADES!

THE PIONEER!

BRING IT!

Ooops,

Blue Devils, CAVALIERS, BLUECOATS, C.C., THE CADETS, The SANTA CLARA VANGUARD, Phantom Regiment, THE BLUE STARS, Boston Crusaders, THE MADISON SCOUTS!, Blue Knights. Cant wait.

BDB,Oregon Crusaders,Spartans, Revolution, Raiders, Music City, 7th Regiment, Legends, Colt C., Forte, Genisis,VK, Racine Scouts,Les Senetors, Strangnas, Blue Saints, SCVC.

This is gonna be a great show. IMO.

Little bias here, but I think that MCDC's size is gonna push them up the ranks quite a bit. They're rocking an 80 man hornline and it sounds glorious. They may very well WIN the brass and ensemble captions. Percussion is strong, but not BDB/SCVC strong, so I think they'll contend for music. They're gonna blast the effect category. The only thing I could see holding them back would be visual, but if they can lock that in they'll be a Top 3 in OC, a semi-finalist in WC.

BDB's going to not only make semis but be a strong semis corps IMO.

Just thought I'd drum up some discussion. :)

After taking some advice(bawker) and getting educated(?)whatever that means?

BDB would have to beat... THE CROSSMEN, TROOPERS, SPIRIT OF ATLANTA, THE COLTS, THE ACADEMY! I just watched their show from 2010. Unless they have something up there sleeve, it ain't happening. IMO! Cant wait to see what they bring to the table for 2011, dont get me wrong. But I just dont see them even coming close. It should be interesting!

2011 is going to be... EPIC!

After taking some advice(bawker) and getting educated(?)whatever that means?

BDB would have to beat... THE CROSSMEN, TROOPERS, SPIRIT OF ATLANTA, THE COLTS, THE ACADEMY! I just watched their show from 2010. Unless they have something up there sleeve, it ain't happening. IMO! Cant wait to see what they bring to the table for 2011, dont get me wrong. But I just dont see them even coming close. It should be interesting!

2011 is going to be... EPIC!

Semifinals is 25 corps this year. Therefore, it should not be necessary to defeat all the above listed corps to get in.

Semifinals is 25 corps this year. Therefore, it should not be necessary to defeat all the above listed corps to get in.

Top 25 for Semi-Finals! :thumbup: bawker was right, its time to get educated.(darn it) 25 Corps for Fri. night. Cant wait to see that show. So... how many Drum and Bugle Corps from OPEN CLASS! are going to make the Friday night show? I am going to say... more than one. Anybody else want to take a stab at that?

Edited by thirdcoast

I'll keep an eye out for 80 brass from MC this summer. In open class 80 in March is a far cry from having 80 in august. I hope the corps is taking time to build wisely, and avoid the stigma usually associated with Div. 2/3's that grew big fast, and burnt out even faster.

With the sizes of some OC corps reaching WC levels I think it's also a fair assumption that people know they exist. I personally loved the 'mid size' corps like ECJ, Spartans, OC, Raiders etc... Never the biggest, but always in the hunt for the top. There are far fewer corps around now then even when I started marching, but bigger on average in open class.

I continue to promote open class to anyone I teach in marching band season, and this year four of the kids I teach are at Raiders. Just gotta promote.