PINK FLOYD

I vaguely recall a senior corps back in the '70s doing a "White Show" of sorts... Nights in White Satin, Whiter Shade of Pale, White Rabbit, Beatles (White Album).

I hope my memory isn't damaged on this one, hehe!

Wilmington Cardinals maybe? Gah, can't remember...

I think a Jethro Tull show would be cool.

oh, wait....

I think a show by The Who would be great too. Oh wait! IT WAS! tongue.gif

• 3 years later...

Really? After all this time, NOBODY has thought to probe what is arguably the most significant rock band of all time????

As John Lennon once said: "After all....we're all just flollowing Pink Floyd..."

Show designers, do I have to spell it out in CRAYON......?????

Just saying.....

:-)

Well, it took a while, but your wish finally came true.

In 1996, Westerville South H.S. from Westerville, OH did a fantastic show based on "The Wall" and made BOA Finals. I believe their show was arranged by Michael Klesch. You might be able to track it down online somewhere.

I thought Scott Hickey did the arranging for WSHS?

• 2 months later...

Sorry to drag this back from the dead, and not sure on how to post link or even if I'm allowed to...

But if you do a youtube search for "South Allegheny Marching Band 2014-2015" under phd12volt as the channel, you'll see an entire Pink Floyd show with the tunes "In the Flesh?", "Happiest Days of Our Lives", "Another Brick in the Wall Part 2", "Welcome to the Machine", and "Money".

Before flaming, remember:

1. First and foremost, the ending chords were NOT ripping off anyone, as the show was designed and penned in March/April of 2014. You'll know what I mean when you hear it. Yes, we did try to go with an actual sample of the band after seeing the corps made famous for this, however the intonation was putrid... so we stuck with stock library samples as originally designed. But we were doing this in the spring before any corps hit the field.

2. This is a festival band. They don't compete and have no interest in subjective scoring. Therefore, nothing needs written to sheets, and dynamics are basically thrown out the window. These crowds are used to loud and proud big ten stuff, with a focus on cheeeeeeze. The more gimmicks, the better.

3. These kids rehearse about 2-4 hours a week, and not consecutively. The get 3-4 days of 40 minute field practice during their band class, and maybe an hour on a Saturday. A large percentage of the members also play sports, so time is very limited. In addition, the entire design and instructional staff for the whole marching band program consists of three people total.

4. This isn't meant to show technical or performance mastery; it's just meant to show that yes, the source material can be made entertaining in this medium, and I'm actually surprised more competitive organizations haven't messed with it in various ways, especially in marching band.

5. If nothing else, and even if your ears are cringing from intonation and quality of sound issues to that point, please listen to the alto sax (gasp... woodwinds) solos in "Brick" and "Money". Kid can play.

6. For those not yet in tune with how the technology is moving in to the medium, the LED's on the drums are controlled via wifi, with a router front field and individual wifi receivers on each drum. The overall control is done through an iPad controlled front field.

Anyhow, thanks for providing info and entertainment over the years on this forum. I hope I don't get too flamed on my first post.

Sorry to drag this back from the dead, and not sure on how to post link or even if I'm allowed to...

But if you do a youtube search for "South Allegheny Marching Band 2014-2015" under phd12volt as the channel, you'll see an entire Pink Floyd show with the tunes "In the Flesh?", "Happiest Days of Our Lives", "Another Brick in the Wall Part 2", "Welcome to the Machine", and "Money".

Before flaming, remember:

1. First and foremost, the ending chords were NOT ripping off anyone, as the show was designed and penned in March/April of 2014. You'll know what I mean when you hear it. Yes, we did try to go with an actual sample of the band after seeing the corps made famous for this, however the intonation was putrid... so we stuck with stock library samples as originally designed. But we were doing this in the spring before any corps hit the field.

2. This is a festival band. They don't compete and have no interest in subjective scoring. Therefore, nothing needs written to sheets, and dynamics are basically thrown out the window. These crowds are used to loud and proud big ten stuff, with a focus on cheeeeeeze. The more gimmicks, the better.

3. These kids rehearse about 2-4 hours a week, and not consecutively. The get 3-4 days of 40 minute field practice during their band class, and maybe an hour on a Saturday. A large percentage of the members also play sports, so time is very limited. In addition, the entire design and instructional staff for the whole marching band program consists of three people total.

4. This isn't meant to show technical or performance mastery; it's just meant to show that yes, the source material can be made entertaining in this medium, and I'm actually surprised more competitive organizations haven't messed with it in various ways, especially in marching band.

5. If nothing else, and even if your ears are cringing from intonation and quality of sound issues to that point, please listen to the alto sax (gasp... woodwinds) solos in "Brick" and "Money". Kid can play.

6. For those not yet in tune with how the technology is moving in to the medium, the LED's on the drums are controlled via wifi, with a router front field and individual wifi receivers on each drum. The overall control is done through an iPad controlled front field.

Anyhow, thanks for providing info and entertainment over the years on this forum. I hope I don't get too flamed on my first post.

For those who want to see it without doing a search, here's the link posted here...