PINK FLOYD

Thanks for posting the link. Again, it's dirty, dynamically challenged, etc. etc..... but the kids got exposed to music they might not have otherwise explored, and they ended up loving it. And the demographic of the crowds, being largely made up of parents of band kids (who would probably rather be somewhere else on a Saturday night after their own kid performs), was perfect for this music. We grew up with headphones on listening to this stuff. Was refreshing to see it at band festivals, instead of the stuff normally seen/heard at these things.

Funny but I googled South Alleghany HS and it says school located in McKeesport.. but the address is Glassport.... LOL.. And Glassport has hosted at least one corps show in the past, wonder if at the HS.

Interested since I went to college in Indiana, PA which ain't that far away... And IIRC the area has seen better days so I'd forgive the students if it's not top band standards and just be glad there is still a band.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Well Norwin and Kiski are nearby so I wouldn't say all of the area has seen better days. A few other real nice programs hanging around in the competitive world as well. Overall, though, a lot of the area is still stuck in the 70's. The school itself is actually in Port Vue, PA, but it's a McKeesport mailing address. The stadium is in Glassport. All three border each other. I'm sure there was a corps show somewhere back in the day. They were all over the place then.

Port Vue is a new name for me but heard of the others. Or at least read the names on students jackets at IUP... (OK I didn't get west of Indiana County when in school). LOL which (irony alert) was in the late 70s. Thanks and good luck to the band....

OK useless information below but found the show listing. And yes looks like an all western PA Sr corps show..

June 1963 Glassport, PA
Flag Day Pageant

1. Westmoreland Esquires 79.2

2. Sharpsburg Cadets 77.4

3. Latrobe Colonials 75.1

4. Meadville Thunderbirds 72.8

5. Derry Crusaders 63.0

Exhibition: Meridian Woodpeckers

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Well Norwin and Kiski are nearby so I wouldn't say all of the area has seen better days. A few other real nice programs hanging around in the competitive world as well. Overall, though, a lot of the area is still stuck in the 70's. The school itself is actually in Port Vue, PA, but it's a McKeesport mailing address. The stadium is in Glassport. All three border each other. I'm sure there was a corps show somewhere back in the day. They were all over the place then.

judged for TOB out there several times....Steel Valley, Baldwin, McKeesport, Avonworth....some good stuff

Was this recently, Jeff? Unfortunately, some of the programs you'd mentioned, and TOB in general in this area, have dropped considerably in quality over the last few years. PIMBA seems to be where the better quality stuff is these days in southwestern PA. Overall, IMHO, I'm soured of competition in general in this area anymore, regardless of the circuit, especially for percussion. We're just not producing the monster drummers we used to back in the day, when kids were allowed to drum, instead of being tacet or background accompaniment. But that's a whole other soapbox. I doubt I'll ever do a competitive band again. This festival stuff is a blast, and there are no limits, no sheets to write to, and most important.... our only "score" is a crowd reaction.

Hey Jim,

I U P is confusing enough for us non-Keystoners for I think it means Indiana University in Pennsylvania, not Indiana (No?)

And to be further confused as a non-Keystoner, isn't there also a University of California but in Pennsylvania, not California?

That's as confusing as calling the corps The Crusaders... (Finleyville, Milstadt, Oregon, Boston (in Massachusetts, not in Oregon as Portland in Oregon's Portland's original name was Boston too! * ^ ) That would really be confusing. No wonder Craiga, Ghost and Emc2 get so riled up!

Time for a nap!

*http://www.naosmm.org/confer/port-or/history.

htmlhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_Penny

^https://www.facebook.com/bostonoregon

Edited by xandandl

Already answered but IUP is in Western PA. And think Baldwin HS used to have a Sr show. Visited a friend out there and heard music in the distance and he said "band show". So we do other things and weeks later I find out it was a corps show. (insert swear words here).