How do we save Drum Corps

I believe that we are asking to much of DCI. When most of us started we were just small corps doing local circuits and state championships. I believe we need to get back to this. We are asking new corps to jump in and compete at the DCI level. DCI should not control the activity. They should handle the judging and the regional championships and when a corps evolves to a point when they are good enough then they can go to the major championships. The first 4 or 5 years I was in a corps we never went to these big shows because we weren't good enough and didn't have the money. Any ideas ?

Edited by Mellomad
  • Like 4

I agree completely. The touring model is unsustainable for a lot of existing corps - getting into it from scratch can be done but it's a mammoth undertaking.

SDCA is taking this on, and in Quebec, Canada, FAMQ just had their first show a couple of weeks ago. I understand other states, provinces or regions are attempting the same thing. This is the future of sustained drum corps. Left to DCI under the current business model, it will probably die off in the next 20 years or so.

• Like 2

There needs to be some Mom and Pop operations out there that also seek local business and community backing from their local areas.

All age or Junior Corps are fine. Starting out as a Parade Corps is OK too.

• Like 2

I believe that we are asking to much of DCI. When most of us started we were just small corps doing local circuits and state championships. I believe we need to get back to this. We are asking new corps to jump in and compete at the DCI level. DCI should not control the activity. They should handle the judging and the regional championships and when a corps evolves to a point when they are good enough then they can go to the major championships. The first 4 or 5 years I was in a corps we never went to these big shows because we weren't good enough and didn't have the money. Any ideas ?

Loads of smaller, inconsistent and uncoordinated shows are not the answer, and would be counterproductive, actually. More unification as a highly-coordinated circuit, not less.

The answer is larger shows that are more consistent and more coordinated from one to the other.

I do agree that there should be a new A Class that is restricted to doing local shows with regionals and a chance to go to finals (not a tour to finals with shows on the way, simply A-class finals).

Open Class could be more similar in terms of more of a regional focus.

Again, no more small shows. Small shows are a complete waste of time. They require about the same amount to put together a larger show, but nothing near the return.

A great target would be to have the smallest show at 5,000 attendees... that being the new floor.

• Like 3

Again, no more small shows. Small shows are a complete waste of time. They require about the same amount to put together a larger show, but nothing near the return.

How is making it possible to get new corps up and running and involving more kids in this activity a complete waste of time, exactly?

Take a look at SDCA and FAMQ. No - it's not the quality level of Blue Devils and Cavaliers but that isn't the point, is it......

Edited by Grandpa

How is making it possible to get new corps up and running and involving more kids in this activity a complete waste of time, exactly?

When they lose money and cannot sustain themselves, and create a bad impression of the activity as a whole.

Take a look at SDCA and FAMQ. No - it's not the quality level of Blue Devils and Cavaliers but that isn't the point, is it......

I had to google what those were... had no idea. Found some videos. I'm sure the guys out there have fun doing it. Not something I would actually ever go see.

Edited by danielray
  • Like 2

When they lose money and cannot sustain themselves, and create a bad impression of the activity as a whole.

You assume everything that starts at this level is doomed to fail. Perhaps you would prefer it that way. The FAMQ show looked like a success for members and fans alike.

I had to google what those were... had no idea. Found some videos. I'm sure the guys out there have fun doing it. Not something I would actually ever go see.

I'm not surprised you had no idea what these were.

Kids having fun, learning music and all the lessons you learn in competetive drum corps. What's wrong with that exactly?

SDCA and kids? All I saw was a bunch of people older than my parents age stomping a gym in 1970's uniforms.

And you also saw a lot of kids involved for the first time (some of them in the alumni units I believe). Blue Saints, for example, are active in SDCA. I think the support of the alumni associations is fantastic.

The truth - the WHOLE truth, and nothing but the truth.

Edited by Grandpa

And you also saw a lot of kids involved for the first time (some of them in the alumni units I believe). Blue Saints, for example, are active in SDCA. I think the support of the alumni associations is fantastic.

The truth - the WHOLE truth, and nothing but the truth.

Some kids also do civil war reenactments... which is basically what this seems to be, reenacting mediocre 70's drum corps.

• Like 6