Jersey Surf 2012

• 2 weeks later...

As a parent of a "rookie" in the surf I can say I have been impressed with the way the organization has gone about exposing the kids to the bridgemen legacy.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

As a parent of a "rookie" in the surf I can say I have been impressed with the way the organization has gone about exposing the kids to the bridgemen legacy.

Check out the Pre 1974 SAINT ANDREWS BRIDGEMEN . Cadet uniforms. I hope these

years are included in the BRIDGEMEN LEGACY.

Edited by Jerseyboy
  • Like 1

I wish Jersey Surf the best of luck in the coming season and I am very excited the see their presentation. But nothing offends me more than reading post from people on this site that refer the Jersey Surf or any other corps as lower tier.

Edited by musclebud
  • Like 3

I wish Jersey Surf the best of luck in the coming season and I am very excited the see their presentation. But nothing offends me more than reading post from people on this site that refer the Jersey Surf or any other corps as lower tier.

When BAC fiercely competed in the 70's and should have made finals but didn't, they would have been called "lower tier" by some. Before 1980 when Cadets were still Garfield Cadets, they had great shows but did not always make finals and they too may have been considered "lower tier." I'm sure that Troopers, Crossmen, and Spirit in its various incarnations would have been "lower tier" at some points. From my point of view, if you're in the company of these corps, lower tier is not a bad place to be. As far as this current year is concerned, in various DCP posts Crown is all hype, Madison, Spirit, and Blue Stars do not have great prospects, and Bluecoats, Blue Knights, and BAC may be find themselves disappointed, and the Cadets will not need to have their ring fingers measured. So, if people think Jersey Surf's prospects are slim, again Surf's not in bad company.

I agree that this could be a great show. Drum corps fans love to reminisce, and perhaps no corps is more storied for good and bad than the Bridgemen, so it's bound to be a great show that will attract a lot of interest. "William Tell" connects the old St. Andrew's to the new Bridgemen, "Land of Make Believe" was one of Bridgemen's greatest ensemble pieces, and "In the Stone" was performed during what may have been the Bridgemen's most stable and confident years. Jersey Surf does have heart, or at least they have when I've seen them perform, there's no doubt they'll impress the audience, and this year will be a more competitive year for them with a more ambitious tour.

• Like 1

Both Surf and Bridgemen were "down the Shore" this weekend for the Elks Convention and Parade. We took advantage and got together to jam for a bit. Surf treated us to a couple of tidbits from their show (loved it!) and we did our show for them. The NJ Elks presented Surf with a nice sponsorship check too!

Best part of the day, by far, was arcing up with Surf's hornline to play this together:

HYPE!

Do It Up SURF!

Good times.

ETA: Fixed media embed

Edited by OrlandoContraAlum
  • Like 4