The OFFICIAL 2012 Prediction Thread

Boston has been under scored the past few years.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAAAAA.

Oh, man. You need to do stand up, get your eyes checked, get your ears checked, or maybe all three.

In the last 5+ years, no corps has been under or over scored by more than a place or two.

There is no massive DCI conspiracy. There is no gouging of certain corps. The interpersonal experiences and biases that judges have towards or against specific corps is vastly equalized in the long run---plus the individual judges are scrutinized so strictly, thinking that there is a certain corps that is over or under scored in the long run is silly and obtuse.

Edited by GeneralTsoChicken
  • Like 7

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAAAAA.

Oh, man. You need to do stand up, get your eyes checked, get your ears checked, or maybe all three.

In the last 5+ years, no corps has been under or over scored by more than a place or two.

There is no massive DCI conspiracy. There is no gouging of certain corps. The interpersonal experiences and biases that judges have towards or against specific corps is vastly equalized in the long run---plus the individual judges are scrutinized so strictly, thinking that there is a certain corps that is over or under scored in the long run is silly and obtuse.

As an un-abashed Boston supporter, I actually wouldn't say that BAC has been "underscored", if the meaning of that word does indeed connote a massive DCI conspiracy, etc etc etc. Having said that, I think I can speak to a general frustration with the 7-9th place finishes of late for the corps. But, this has more to do with the general (and substantial) improvement of all the upper level corps in the past decade. When I watch the dvds of BAC's 5th place finishes in 2000 and 2002 and the 6th place in 2003, I see exciting, driven performances. But when I look at 2009, 2010, and 2011, I see (and hear) similar excitement levels combined with vastly superior design and performance qualities. For my money, the 2011 Boston brass performance was arguably the best that corps has ever put on the field. The guard was very strong and the drill design has been on a steep upward trajectory since 2008. (I really can't judge percussion..sorry). These days, it seems to me that all corps are in a break-neck frenzy to improve year over year, so with the kinds of products BAC has been putting out lately, it is in fact a frustration to seem to not climb the ladder. So, I would say it is more a case of the bar continuing to move upward. I personally have no complaints with the judging community...sometimes, people forget that even though Boston came in 8th last summer, some captions were even higher. The challenge for BAC (or any corps for that matter) is to improve MORE than every other corps is improving....a tall order in today's World Class, to be sure.

• Like 2

BAC is in the TOC so now we'll see how that effects their placement.

Depends on when they perform during the show. If they have to perform first like the Blue Stars did last summer they will lose a lot of rehearsal time, at least 2-3 hours every TOC show day.

1. Blue Devils

2. Tie Cavaliers

2. Tie Carolina Crown

4. Cadets

5. SCV

6. Bluecoats

7. Madison Scouts

8. tie Boston Crusaders

8. tie Phantom Regiment

10.Blue Knights

11. Glassmen

12. Blue Stars

13. Colts

14. Crossmen

15. Academy

16. Spirit

17. Pacific Crest

18. Blue Devils B

19. Vanguard Cadets

20. Troopers

21. Teal Sound

22. Mandarins

23. Jersey Surf

24. Cascades

25. Oregon Crusaders

26. Pioneer

• Like 1

I would have to disagree a little bit here. I do think maybe Boston was a place too low in 2008 and 2010, however, on the flip side, I would say they were a few places too high in 1999, placing 9th. Great show, but I would have had it in 13th, behind Bluecoats. I also thought they were a place or 2 higher than they should have been in 2002.

But personally I do see trends in the judging that would place corps out of the range where they should be. This was noticeable in both 2008 and 2009, more so than any other year I can remember. In 2008 there was a corp that was at least 2 places head of where it should have been. And in 2009, there was a corps that placed at least 4 places higher than they should have been. In both of these instances, the colorguard score is a dead giveaway of what was going on. Both corps had colorguards that were weak, one relatively to the other corps in the same level, and the next year, a colorguard that should have placed 21st, ended up around 12th or 13th during finals week.

Judging in 2010 seemed a little better, but 2011 seemed to slip back a little bit as well in terms of judging.

Most years I would agree with most placements, but I think 3 of the last 6 years, the judges haven't gotten things accurate(2006,2008,2009), and I think it has more to do with trying to get more fans into the activity. I would love to see a new champion, and someone new in top 12. But I do think it needs to be earned, and not given to up the ratings of DCI. And unfortunately, the storyline is becoming more important than the actual performances of shows that are put on the field. It's all in the American Idol style of judging. But then, I suppose alot of people really think their votes are really being counted up.

• Like 1

ahmm, excuse me......Go Green Corps!!!!! return to greatness will only continue this year with the Old Guard Corps of '38 and '48 with a first place and sixth place ranking this season is my rash prediction. Sorry had to lol.

As an un-abashed Boston supporter, I actually wouldn't say that BAC has been "underscored", if the meaning of that word does indeed connote a massive DCI conspiracy, etc etc etc. Having said that, I think I can speak to a general frustration with the 7-9th place finishes of late for the corps. But, this has more to do with the general (and substantial) improvement of all the upper level corps in the past decade. When I watch the dvds of BAC's 5th place finishes in 2000 and 2002 and the 6th place in 2003, I see exciting, driven performances. But when I look at 2009, 2010, and 2011, I see (and hear) similar excitement levels combined with vastly superior design and performance qualities. For my money, the 2011 Boston brass performance was arguably the best that corps has ever put on the field. The guard was very strong and the drill design has been on a steep upward trajectory since 2008. (I really can't judge percussion..sorry). These days, it seems to me that all corps are in a break-neck frenzy to improve year over year, so with the kinds of products BAC has been putting out lately, it is in fact a frustration to seem to not climb the ladder. So, I would say it is more a case of the bar continuing to move upward. I personally have no complaints with the judging community...sometimes, people forget that even though Boston came in 8th last summer, some captions were even higher. The challenge for BAC (or any corps for that matter) is to improve MORE than every other corps is improving....a tall order in today's World Class, to be sure.

Well put Craiga. Boston show has been consistently improving over the past several years with the changes that have occurred. IMO there is bias that a fact of life. Note: I do not believe there is a massive DCI conspiracy. I guess it just takes a longer period of time to change people opinions. I feel Boston is on track to move up this year and it would make a lot of northeast people very happy.

IMO there is bias that a fact of life.

I'm sorry, I still don't buy it.

If there was a bias towards people or corps, Phantom Regiment wouldn't even make the top 12.

Dan Farrell is absolutely despised by many within the DCI ranks, plus PR has a huge visual "reputation". Even then they are given a chance. Corps specific stereotypes and dislike towards figureheads in each group don't hold corps back much at all.

This is a youth activity. The vast majority, enough to almost always outweigh the "bad apples", makes sure that the kids in each group are rewarded for their excellence.

The Cavaliers, Blue Devils, and Cadets don't win because of DCI. They win because they are the best.

Boston doesn't get 8th because they aren't liked by DCI. They get 8th because that's overwhelmingly what they deserve.

• Like 1

I would expect nothing less from someone with your avatar.

Hinshaw = overrated

Bookmark this, come back and make me eat crow. You won't, because you won't be able to.

It never ceases to amaze me how little respect the Cavaliers organization gives Michael Gaines, and how much respect everyone else gives him. We've heard this since '01. He has had a large influence in the organization's sucess.

Ok. This is what got me. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. I know you marched one year at the cavaliers, but the way things have been the last few, The Cavaliers gave NOTHING but respect to Gaines. Whatever Gaines wanted Gaines got and there were never any questioning it. People understood how much he gave to the organization in regards to his visual genius and let him do whatever he wanted.

With that being said, I think Gaines is great. Possibly the best ever, but I do think that Hinshaw will be great for The Cavaliers. So, I am going to take your advice and book mark your post and we will see you in a few months.