Proposal- Class A GE scores

Galen

Proposal: Class A corps may not select any GE captions valued higher than 20 points.

Rationale: I recall reading in some post or another that for Open Class DCI corps, they tend to be evaluated more on how clean and well-executed their show is as opposed to design. This proposal would mimic that by restricting the highest-valued captions, which would allow

Having competed in Class A for several years, I've always found Class A to be a little boring- you just pick the highest GE captions you can, then you're left to guess which of the 6-point-or-less corps will give you the best numbers at the end of the season.

Here's another way to look at it. Assume you take the top GE scores- that's 50 points of your overall salary, which is almost 3/5 of your overall salary. That's disproportionate to World Class, where using the top GE scores would only be 1/3 of your salary, and Open Class, where using the top GE scores would only be about 45% of your top salary. Restricting it to 40 points for GE captions would put the ratio at 47%, more in line with Open Class corps.

While directors aren't under any obligation to pick the top GE scores, it's a long-settled fact that because of the way the scoresheets work, which we have no control over, you have to pick the top GE scores if you want to be competitive. This proposal would also allow for some more realistic score breakdowns among corps rather than the usual 19/19/14/15/15/14/15 breakdown we usually see- is that really reflective of a "championship-level" corps?

Enforcement: There's no way to scrip this that I can think of, so directors in Class A would have to be on their honor to not use out-of-bounds corps for their GE picks. Directors who exceed this would be notified via PM/email and instructed to change their captions or face a penalty of .1 for each point in excess of the limit they use. So in essence, Class A directors still COULD pick GE corps higher than 20 points, but the penalties they receive would wipe out any score bump they'd gain. To clarify, all other captions would still be fair game.

Submitted by:

Matt Briddell, Executive Director

Interesting... Hmm...

I agree..it might make CLASS A more fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Closed. Review and voting will begin soon.