Which trumpet manufacturer do you prefer?

86 members have voted

1. 1. Which trumpet manufacturer do you prefer?

• Dynasty
    • Yamaha
    • King
    • Jupiter
    • Bach
    • Other (what brand?)

While I like my almost 40-year old Holton MF-Horn, for band use I've heard good things about Yamaha and of course Bach.

My son has gotten some pretty good mileage out of his Getzen trombone--6 yrs mid/high school, 2 in college. Don't know if this translates over to their trumpets or not.

Which brand do you prefer and why?

I prefer Bach's professional line "Stradivarius" trumpets, but that is because I use my horns for orchestral work now. All the Bach horns have been made in Elkhart Indiana since 1965 by Conn-Selmer whose parent company is Steinway Musical Instruments. Does anyone own a Bach from a prior time?

It is my understanding that Bach is NOT a good choice for drum corps in the above list because they only make trumpets, cornets, flugelhorns, trombones, and mouthpieces. Has any drum corps ever used any Bach horns at all on the field?

I would probably of voted King for drum corps because I like the sound and projection you get from those horns in an outdoor setting. I voted Bach though because that is my personal favorite.

I would look at a couple of things, not just "what brand."

The first thing I'd look for is "what price range?" Yeah a Bach Strad is a super horn, but do you want beginning band students on $2,000 horns? I wouldn't. Start with a price range.

The second thing I'd ask is "who is giving you local support?" You can go on the internet and get horns a few dollars cheaper, but if you have a relationship with a music dealer and he carries a good brand name horn, I would BY FAR give that the most consideration. He will take care of you, and provide the expertise you need especially when a horn needs parts, or fixed.

That being said, I'm out of touch with all the models of all the brands, but since you already have Bachs, I can say the Bach TR-200 is a SUPER horn. It has great sound, just slightly down from a Bach Strad IMO and much less expensive. I will qualify that by saying the "word" on the Bach TR-200 is that some horns sound great, and some are inconsistent from horn-to-horn. I'm not knowledgeable in that area, but I'm passing along some comments when I researched my son's first trumpet.

The Bach TR-200 took him from 5th grade to 12th grade, and he played in a good HS band and used the Bach to achieve first chair in jazz band and symphonic band in high school. I bought him a Yamaha Xeno from Cadets the one with the reverse lead pipe YTR-8345RGS but he preferred the Bach better and went back to it. It has a very open sound with great tone.

BTW, does anyone want to buy a Yamaha Xeno, lightly used? :cool:

Edited by wvu80

I would look at a couple of things, not just "what brand."

The first thing I'd look for is "what price range?" Yeah a Bach Strad is a super horn, but do you want beginning band students on $2,000 horns? I wouldn't. Start with a price range.

The second thing I'd ask is "who is giving you local support?" You can go on the internet and get horns a few dollars cheaper, but if you have a relationship with a music dealer and he carries a good brand name horn, I would BY FAR give that the most consideration. He will take care of you, and provide the expertise you need especially when a horn needs parts, or fixed.

That being said, I'm out of touch with all the models of all the brands, but since you already have Bachs, I can say the Bach TR-200 is a SUPER horn. It has great sound, just slightly down from a Bach Strad IMO and much less expensive. I will qualify that by saying the "word" on the Bach TR-200 is that some horns sound great, and some are inconsistent from horn-to-horn. I'm not knowledgeable in that area, but I'm passing along some comments when I researched my son's first trumpet.

He said he has the guy from Marshall Music looking into it. The current Bachs are cracking and he said they arent that old. Ive only been teaching there for 3 years so I dont know when they really got them. He wanted to know about Jupiter horns but from the looks here they are hit or miss. Ive played on all the ones listed except Jupiter.

My horn is a Kanstul 1600. I think it is a solid horn with nice all around playing characteristics. My only reservations are that the valves are high maintenance and the horn accumulates water at an uncanny rate.

In college I purchased my Kanstul ZKT1500.

Love it!

I love my strad..BUT best horn I have ever played was probably THIS:

http://www.getzen.com/trumpet/genesis/3003.shtml