508 replies to this topic

#501 Pat61

Pat61

DCP Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:11 PM

Can someone please explain this BD show to me.... I'll say nothing more to avoid some down votes >.>
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#502 FaustianMachine

FaustianMachine

DCP Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:12 PM

Can someone please explain this BD show to me.... I'll say nothing more to avoid some down votes >.>

Hopefully this helps: http://bluedevils.or.../repertoire.php

#503 Pat61

Pat61

DCP Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

Hopefully this helps: http://bluedevils.or.../repertoire.php

So its a show about chaos basically? >.<
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#504 FaustianMachine

FaustianMachine

DCP Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:16 PM

So its a show about chaos basically? >.<

From what I'm gathering, yes. Seems to me to almost be a 2008 Part Dos.

Edited by FaustianMachine, 07 July 2012 - 02:16 PM.

#505 IanKShields

IanKShields

DCP Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:56 AM

The repetoire is much more fan-friendly this year than previous years

A lot of recognizable music and recognizable composers
Richard Strauss, Phillip Glass, Vaughn Williams, Dvorak, Stravinsky, Rachmaninoff, Holst

This is going to be a great year

I can't list all of the corps that I will be looking forward to seeing

I've always been amused and dismayed at the same time, when I see statements like the one I've highlighted in red, above.

"Recognizable"? All people are recognizable. We just don't recognize most of them.

And, so it is with people in music -- we throw around words like "recognizable" and "popular", as though they meant far more than they do, when judging the quality of people's work. Who cares if they're "recognizable"? Are they GOOD?

Anyway, glad you like the programs this year, whether you've heard of the composers before, or not.

#506 AvanineCommuter

AvanineCommuter

DCP Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:45 AM

I've always been amused and dismayed at the same time, when I see statements like the one I've highlighted in red, above.

"Recognizable"? All people are recognizable. We just don't recognize most of them.

And, so it is with people in music -- we throw around words like "recognizable" and "popular", as though they meant far more than they do, when judging the quality of people's work. Who cares if they're "recognizable"? Are they GOOD?

Anyway, glad you like the programs this year, whether you've heard of the composers before, or not.

He is claiming that the music is more "fan-friendly", in which case how recognizable the composers are is a factor. If two pieces were played equally well, but one is a very popular and well recognized symphony by a well-regarded composer and the other is an obscure opera from an unknown composer... well, which do you think the general public will appreciate more? Some people might give the popular piece more credit just because of its popularity; it may not be fair, but that's how it is unfortunately. Good thing this doesn't affect the judges, eh? ;)

Edited by AvanineCommuter, 15 July 2012 - 07:45 AM.

#507 FaustianMachine

FaustianMachine

DCP Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:25 AM

The list on the front page has been massively updated. Special thanks to Michael Boo for his live blog that provided a lot of the missing pieces for the rep list. :thumbup:

#508 hostrauser

hostrauser

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

DUNCAN Sheik is the name of the "Spring Awakenings" composer (for Academy).

FDbanner.png
Forward Dynamics, Oregon, WI - DCPI Season XXII (Summer 2014)

- Polaris Regiment (World Class) - "Principia" - 96.525, 6th place
- The Marauders (Open Class) - "Rusalka" - 93.430, 6th place
- Xothyme (Class A) - "Supervillain" - 91.300, 1st place - DCPI Champions!

#509 DDFIddle

DDFIddle

DCP Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

Been to 5 shows this year. Absolute favorite BY FAR is Jersey Surf's tribute to Bridgemen. Uninterrupted string of standing ovations since the very first day should tell you that this corps does what the crowd likes best. And isn't this what is really all about? Count them in for Big Loud and Live and you will have thousands of kids and families saying thanks (and becoming big DCI fans).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please review Drum Corps Planet's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
The contents of this site are copyright (C) 2005-2010 DCP Partners, LLC and all rights are reserved. Requests for use may be directed to the DCP Office.
Drum Corps Planet™ and the DCP logo are trademarks of DCP Partners, LLC. All rights reserved. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.