Punkin Chunkin

Hey man, we don't have much here in Delaware... we have to get our publicity somehow!

Now if they had a special on the Apple Scrapple Festival... then I might start worrying! :tongue:

But everyone who's an executive with Canon and Discover Card has probably carved a jack-o-lantern.

And it's no harder to believe that many of them tooted a horn or banged on a drum, too, Boo.

(Too, Boo. Two Boo. To Boo. Yabba Dabba Do, Boo...someone stop me. tongue.gif)

if you can find a company or advertisers willing to pay to help get it on the air, go for it. Punkin Chunkin obviously found it.

DCI on ESPN didn't even draw what an NHL game gets in terms of ratings, and the NHL hasseveral blue chip advertisers. Can't really get Bud Light to advertise for a youth activity now can we?

It's all about the financials people, and the willingness of someone to pay. We the fans didn't pay PBS. Advertisers didn't want to pony up andpay ESPN.

so find that person/company willing to fork out the $$, and you'll see DCI on free tv. Until you do that, this dead horse will be beat timeand time again.

I don't think this is the case, Jeff. Watching the chunkers last night there were no sponsorships plastered all over the flinging machines.

Canon and Discover had banners hanging on the fences. Someone convinced them that there was enough ad revenue to sponsor the two-hour show. Can you imagine anyone in the corporate suite falling for that sales pitch? Two hours of watching red necks eat BBQ chicken and tossing punkins for kicks? I don't know how such things are done, but I'd bet you a cheap lunch that the chunkers went to Discovery Channel, and Discovery Channel found the sponsors.

This is what makes it hard to believe that those same execs would turn up their noses at the DC story.

And Discovery channel is advertising that a new series is coming next week - MOONSHINE! The story of the hill people building stills and perfecting their (illegal) art.

I wonder if DCI has even TALKED to these people! Seems they're willing to put anything, ANYTHING, on in prime time. They won't fall for drum corps?

Can't believe it until I see the rejection letter. And even then I'd try A&E.

People do realize that much of "reality" TV is more scripted than not, right?

I don't think we want some TV writer saying "well, this plays better if CorpsX wins this next regional, so DCI has to make that happen." Or better yet "yeah, I know that CorpsY has a better on-field product and better talent, but they have to lose at finals for this to really play out right." Creative control would not be at the hands of DCI in such a venture. That's my bet. Now, if there were some way to have an iron-clad "we'll still fund it, tape it and show it if it doesn't turn out the way we think plays best" contract, then I'm more open to it.

For those saying DCI isn't interested in a mainstream TV product: well, that could be. Or it could be that the right idea with the right punch hasn't come across the table yet. Maybe this thread will get those juices flowing.

I wonder if DCI has even TALKED to these people! Seems they're willing to put anything, ANYTHING, on in prime time. They won't fall for drum corps?

You're missing a point that has been made ad nauseum over the years...to those outside the activity, it's just marching band...an activity that never gets the respect it deserves....never.

The only way you MIGHT get a major company to fund a new broadcast is if another Bill Cook comes along...or someone else with some actual financial power who has a connection to the activity.

You're missing a point that has been made ad nauseum over the years...to those outside the activity, it's just marching band...an activity that never gets the respect it deserves....never.

The only way you MIGHT get a major company to fund a new broadcast is if another Bill Cook comes along...or someone else with some actual financial power who has a connection to the activity.

Oh! Now I get it clearly. It's only marching band! Gee, I've NEVER heard that before.

And you're missing the point that has been made ad nauseum here over the years: it's NOT just marching band. It's 6 months of drama and competition and excitement. Your comment reminds me of the small-minded jocks in high school who didn't appreciate the work the band did away from halftime.

Again, what Bill Cook-type gazillionaire convinced Discovery Channel that beer, BBQ, and tossing pumpkins would make for good prime time viewing?

I think you're thinking too small. As long as we continue to call it marching band, that's all it will ever be.

• Like 1

Oh! Now I get it clearly. It's only marching band! Gee, I've NEVER heard that before.

And you're missing the point that has been made ad nauseum here over the years: it's NOT just marching band. It's 6 months of drama and competition and excitement. Your comment reminds me of the small-minded jocks in high school who didn't appreciate the work the band did away from halftime.

Again, what Bill Cook-type gazillionaire convinced Discovery Channel that beer, BBQ, and tossing pumpkins would make for good prime time viewing?

I think you're thinking too small. As long as we continue to call it marching band, that's all it will ever be.

It;s not what we think of ourselves that's the pertinent point here...it's what the outside world thinks...and to most people NOT involved with the marching arts, it's a bunch of geeks who couldn't make the football, baseball, or basketball tea,...thus, those who aren't worth the effort to even look at their activity, no matter how &^#^&% good they may be at it.

It's the same for fencing. I've lost count of how many times I've been told my sport is "so gay" by idiots who don't understand that my sport involves hitting/being hit with a 3 foot metal rod. Nothing I say or do is going to change their mindset. it's the same for the marching arts.

If Bobby Knight's words re Star couldn't change minds, not much else is going to.

And it's no harder to believe that many of them tooted a horn or banged on a drum, too, Boo.

(Too, Boo. Two Boo. To Boo. Yabba Dabba Do, Boo...someone stop me. tongue.gif)

But still, the average for students to be in a school band is only 10%. That's average...some will be higher, many will be lower.

The average for students to have carved a jack-o-lantern has got to be a lot higher than that.

And Hollywood has yet to make "Mr. Holland's Punkin."

But still, the average for students to be in a school band is only 10%. That's average...some will be higher, many will be lower.

The average for students to have carved a jack-o-lantern has got to be a lot higher than that.

And Hollywood has yet to make "Mr. Holland's Punkin."

Well, technically, if it's an average, then some will be higher and some will be lower. Or many will be higher and many will be lower.

But I get your point, Mr. Boo.

And Hollywood has yet to make "Halloween. The Story of an Evil, Rampaging, Murdering Drum Major"

Now, if they used a vile, murderous mallet player....

tongue.gif

Has anyone thought that espn was maybe just the wrong company? What about another tv station?