"Heart Is More Than Winning"

great story Lisa......... :)

Send in the Clowns...........it was my fathers favorite song......when he died in '83, unbeknownst to me, the Blue Devils had a group of about 7 horn players come out to the funeral, and play Clowns during the funeral ceremony....was quite touching.....I can remember choking up bigtime.

Total class act by the Devils................

Someone needs to be putting a warning up at the beginning of threads like this that say "GET OUT YOUR HANKIES!!!!" Jeezo Pete folks...my wife is thinking I've got mental problems as she wonders why I'm sitting here at the computer sniffling like a little girl.

I don't have such emotional ties in drum corps unfortunately. In retrospect, I wish I could have been part of the VK family much longer, as I was definitely aware of them as early as 1982, but that's the way it went. I know in 1985, when I was on my first tour ever, I was really homesick. My oldest brother, who drives buses for a living, flew out unbeknownst to me and met us in Madison to help drive the corps back home. I'll never forget us rehearsing that hot day in Middleton (our base of operations for finals), and seeing my big goofy brother walking up. Both a sense of "What in the HECK are you doing here?" followed by "Oh my God, my parents are dead, the house has burned down, and my dog ran away!" and then finally "It sure is GREAT to see a family member here!!!" Same kind of emotions when my parents flew back to Middleton the next year to see me in my first year as DM for VK (the James Bond year), and I saw them walking to the rehearsal field. VERY COOL!! But what's cooler....they both brought flashlights with them, and they were going to shine them at me from their seats up on the second level when I turned around to give my salute. I thought it would never work! But there they were at finals night. 2 tiny specks of light waving FRANTICALLY back and forth....and I pointed up to them and gave me patented big old smile....and just for a brief moment, in front of 40,000 some odd people, I saw my two BIGGEST fans. MAN I miss my mom.... :(

I was wondering did your sister also have a chance to go to BD, although she bled SCV....?

she never wanted to join the Devils, she was Vanguard through and through.......

awwww shucks Rob....just doin what every other brother would do........... :P

she never wanted to join the Devils, she was Vanguard through and through.......

Oh you can bet that she is Vanguard through and through (she still is!). She is also a Sweetheart! We rode on the same bus in '75. It was so great seeing her with the Alumni Corps last Summer. I'm so glad that she could be a part of that incredible experience. I hadn't realized you were talking about Sandi. I had forgotten that she had a brother in BD. She really was proud of you....

Say Hi to her for me... From her Ex-Guard Captain...

will do!......

BTW....her name here is "Yenta"

My sister got me into drum corps just as well.....and with the Blue Devils.

For years, I attended parades and field shows as my little sister performed with the BD Drum & Bell Corps (C corps now, I believe), then she moved up to the B corps.

By the time I joined, my sister, Laura, had been in Blue Devils for 4 years. I learned how to play the bugle during my first year in 80 BDB. When auditions came about for the 81 season, Laura and I both made the "A" corps for that 81 season. I was 16, she was 14.

Laura marched the 81, 82 Blue Devils seasons, and she's one of the original 8 "wings" during Pegasus of the 82 season. Laura had enough of drum corps after the 82 season and decided not to march anymore.

I, on the other hand, stayed with the corps becoming section leader for the alto line my last 3 years.

Laura surprised me in 1985 by deciding to march the 85 season. I was very excited to be able to share my last year of drum corps with my sister.so she could be with me when I aged out.

After DCI finals in 1985, at the end of retreat, Laura came up to me and congratulated me on aging out with the Blue Devils. She told me at retreat that she came back to march with me for that specific moment. She wanted to be with me when I aged out.

We both started in the A corps together and we both finished in the A corps together.

• Like 2