Glassmen 2012

Alrightie, well as much as I'd love to dissect the myriad of flaws with this post: I'd just like to politely ask that you no longer vent on dcp as this was my only intention. I am posting as a representative of the general dislike and frustration your posts generated this weekend at camp among the Glassmen and their supporters.

I will reiterate: you may feel free to email me, PM me, Facebook me, or call me to "dissect the myriad of flaws" with my post since you would love to do so. I will be on my computer and next to my phone most of this week. I am concerned that nobody else has addressed me from this past camp publicly or privately to discuss the dislike and frustration caused by my posts.

I do realize that I should have contacted BH first and have since corrected this mistake. I will be back to my positive self as the season goes on. I just hope that you and the gfam realize that supporting the corps is not the same as not being critical of how the organization is run. I am highly vested in this corps and want to see it succeed as much as any other past or present member, volunteer, or administration.

Aside from this, I am truly excited for this summer and can't wait to see the Glassmen as they develop with Key Poulan and this amazing show they have put together. I also forgot to mention that I really like the enthusiasm from the current marcher in the posts above. Really excited to see the energy from the performers and within the corps is as high (or higher) than last year. I sincerely can't wait to get out to the Glassbowl and see some rehearsal going on.

Edited by euphman89
  • Like 8

\^/

Edited by G-Sop
  • Like 1

Ladies and Gentlemen who have been watching this thread. It has come to my intention that I have crossed a line in my last post. I would first like to apologize to The Glassmen Drum and Bugle Corps for my mistake. In all the excitement I had I neglected my responsibility as a member and made a big mistake. And to those who saw me as being over the top and fueling the fires of hatred for this Corps I am sorry. For now this is my second and final post. Again I am a truly sorry. sad.gif

You certainly didn't violate any community guidelines. In the future you might want to use a normal font and avoid the overuse of bold text. But please don't stop posting.

Now, if someone who has appointed themselves DCP Police for Glassmen members and alum has whined to you via PM or something (gee, I wonder who it could have been . . .), then kindly tell them to STFU. Every corps seems to have its share of busybodies who feel they have a divine mandate to tell others what they can and cannot say on this forum. But you didn't air out any dirty laundry. Didn't call out anyone by name. Didn't bash your corps or other corps. Didn't reveal any closely guarded corps secrets. You just hyped a little, and there's nothing wrong with that.

As for the Glassmen's show, please do something unique and memorable. I can recall each Glassmen show from the mid 90's up until the circus show in 2008. But I cannot for the life of me distinguish between the shows from the last few seasons. It's not as though I haven't been paying attention. The Glassmen have always been called "boring" (something I haven't always agreed with), but they used to be uniquely boring. But lately they've just been generically boring. Which is a very bad thing to let happen to your corps.

• Like 2

Ladies and Gentlemen who have been watching this thread. It has come to my intention that I have crossed a line in my last post. I would first like to apologize to The Glassmen Drum and Bugle Corps for my mistake. In all the excitement I had I neglected my responsibility as a member and made a big mistake. And to those who saw me as being over the top and fueling the fires of hatred for this Corps I am sorry. For now this is my second and final post. Again I am a truly sorry. sad.gif

as a staff memeber of a WC corps I will tell you this could be a lesson learned. I can tell you ( which includes your own corps ) this is why ( and this has nothing to do with DCP ) directors , including yours does not support the venting or postings on social networks. I can tell you ( in your own corps, a friend of mine on staff told me of an issue just last year or the year before, a posting that was made on tour got a member in hot water and I think released from the corps just before Championships.

IMO ( and many others ) todays youth think it is a right to be able to post anything and everything on line and it plain ole isnt ( and many are finding this out ) Not saying you did anything wrong BUT words can be twisted and taken wrong.................Good Luck this season...........have fun.....do well...thats the most important thing.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

You certainly didn't violate any community guidelines. In the future you might want to use a normal font and avoid the overuse of bold text. But please don't stop posting.

Now, if someone who has appointed themselves DCP Police for Glassmen members and alum has whined to you via PM or something (gee, I wonder who it could have been . . .), then kindly tell them to STFU. Every corps seems to have its share of busybodies who feel they have a divine mandate to tell others what they can and cannot say on this forum. But you didn't air out any dirty laundry. Didn't call out anyone by name. Didn't bash your corps or other corps. Didn't reveal any closely guarded corps secrets. You just hyped a little, and there's nothing wrong with that.

As for the Glassmen's show, please do something unique and memorable. I can recall each Glassmen show from the mid 90's up until the circus show in 2008. But I cannot for the life of me distinguish between the shows from the last few seasons. It's not as though I haven't been paying attention. The Glassmen have always been called "boring" (something I haven't always agreed with), but they used to be uniquely boring. But lately they've just been generically boring. Which is a very bad thing to let happen to your corps.

not going to get in a debate if a kid should or shouldnt or a corps should or shouldnt BUT I can tell you most corps do watch whats going on with their members on line.............just as bosses are, schools, etc etc. I know a very big loud mouth who lost a job due to their postings and I also know several corps who have tossed kids when they posted negative stuff on line......people will sooner or later realise 1st not everyone cares what you are eating or doing minute by minute of thir lives and as far as corps are concerned NOT EVERYONE wants their laundry aired.............not making a judgement , especially here , but an observation.

its sad but I have also known some very talented younger staff who cant get teaching jobs for the same reason.

not going to get in a debate if a kid should or shouldnt or a corps should or shouldnt BUT I can tell you most corps do watch whats going on with their members on line.............just as bosses are, schools, etc etc. I know a very big loud mouth who lost a job due to their postings and I also know several corps who have tossed kids when they posted negative stuff on line......people will sooner or later realise 1st not everyone cares what you are eating or doing minute by minute of thir lives and as far as corps are concerned NOT EVERYONE wants their laundry aired.............not making a judgement , especially here , but an observation.

its sad but I have also known some very talented younger staff who cant get teaching jobs for the same reason.

I don't really disagree with anything you've said. Obviously corps need to monitory the online presence of their members to some extent. That said, I think a hard prohibition on any online posting is counterproductive (not to mention unrealistic, in this day and age). And I think there's a pretty outrageous level of hypocrisy when it comes to staffers and administrators - who always seem to be very up-to-date on what's going on on DCP - outright forbidding their members any interaction with the forum. But I guess that's another topic, and one I'm very interested in.

With regards to the kid who posted above . . . if it was someone officially associated with the corps that told him to clam up, then obviously it would behoove him to do so. But like I said before, there are a lot of people not employed by a corps who like to play Board Police and try to regulate what members of and alums of their corps do and say online. Which is of course a ridiculous thing to try and do. Since there's already somebody playing Board Police on this thread, it wasn't hard to put 2 and 2 together and assume that it was probably a cranky alumnus or volunteer or someone similar hassling this kid over nothing.

Edited by Rifuarian
  • Like 1

as a staff memeber of a WC corps I will tell you this could be a lesson learned. I can tell you ( which includes your own corps ) this is why ( and this has nothing to do with DCP ) directors , including yours does not support the venting or postings on social networks. I can tell you ( in your own corps, a friend of mine on staff told me of an issue just last year or the year before, a posting that was made on tour got a member in hot water and I think released from the corps just before Championships.

IMO ( and many others ) todays youth think it is a right to be able to post anything and everything on line and it plain ole isnt ( and many are finding this out ) Not saying you did anything wrong BUT words can be twisted and taken wrong.................Good Luck this season...........have fun.....do well...thats the most important thing.

What exactly did he say in his post that could even be remotely twisted and taken the wrong way?? Just another example of drum corps taking itself WAY too seriously...

• Like 1

What exactly did he say in his post that could even be remotely twisted and taken the wrong way?? Just another example of drum corps taking itself WAY too seriously...

well as far as I know it was constant knocking of procedures during tour, staff, other members, etc etc.. BUT Ive seen this before , not just this case.

I don't really disagree with anything you've said. Obviously corps need to monitory the online presence of their members to some extent. That said, I think a hard prohibition on any online posting is counterproductive (not to mention unrealistic, in this day and age). And I think there's a pretty outrageous level of hypocrisy when it comes to staffers and administrators - who always seem to be very up-to-date on what's going on on DCP - outright forbidding their members any interaction with the forum. But I guess that's another topic, and one I'm very interested in.

With regards to the kid who posted above . . . if it was someone officially associated with the corps that told him to clam up, then obviously it would behoove him to do so. But like I said before, there are a lot of people not employed by a corps who like to play Board Police and try to regulate what members of and alums of their corps do and say online. Which is of course a ridiculous thing to try and do. Since there's already somebody playing Board Police on this thread, it wasn't hard to put 2 and 2 together and assume that it was probably a cranky alumnus or volunteer or someone similar hassling this kid over nothing.

While I highly respect that G-Sop apologized I did not tell him to do so nor do I even know who he is. I do know that older members typically do encourage the newer ones to refrain from posting. My post to Paul was to someone I marched with and as such I thought he would recognize how many of his words were hurtful. I was not cranky over nothing, I was upset over feeling hurt by someone I considered family. I do not check these forums so the way I found out about this was from current marching members and staff. I was not intending to post as officially associated with the drum corps, but I thought the knowledge that his words caused anger and frustration among the current members would be enough for him to apologize.