4 replies to this topic

#1 Trumpcyms1993

Trumpcyms1993

DCP Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:08 PM

This topic will have mulitple questions.

How do you feel about uniform mouthpieces for a trumpet section?
Do you think its a good idea to have lead trumpets play a large mouthpiece (1 1/2C equivalent or bigger) when required to play in the upper register a lot?
Do you think it makes a noticeable difference in the sound of an ensemble if the lead trumpets use smaller mouthpieces or mouthpieces of their personal preference?
Which Corps allow their lead trumpets to use any mouthpiece they want?

#2 Stradivarius

Stradivarius

DCP Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:33 AM

I think that each trumpet player should use their own, preferred mouthpiece, because everybody is different. Some mouthpieces work better for others, but are loathed by another.

As for leads playing with larger mouthpieces for the upper register, I have no experiance, so I can't really say anything.

Lead trumpets often are the more experianced, skilled, players, so they will most likely be playing on their preferred mouthpiece, which will enhance each individual's performance in their own way, making the sound better, I think, because they are playing with their best sound already. People play with different styles, but a good sound is universal.

I march the Empire Statesmen(DCA), and as far as I know, they have put no restrictions on mouthpiece size. We use whatever mouthpiece we want across the entire brassline. As a matter of fact, I don't really know of any corps that actually have a manditory mouthpiece.

I hope this was helpful! :)

Jake Everett
"Never argue with an idiot; they will bring you down to their level and crush you with experiance."

#3 Contra94

Contra94

DCP Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:51 PM

Blue Devils restricts mouthpiece size (and brand) for the A-Corps. They all use SBT1's. as far as i know, none of the trumpets used SBT2's.
Renegades - Contrabass - '11, '12
Vanguard Cadets - Tuba - '13

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Trumpcyms1993

Trumpcyms1993

DCP Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:29 AM

Blue Devils restricts mouthpiece size (and brand) for the A-Corps. They all use SBT1's. as far as i know, none of the trumpets used SBT2's.

Thats true. The SBT1 mouthpiece is pretty small actually. They are the only corp I know of that has a uniform lead mouthpiece that is actually small.

#5 Stradivarius

Stradivarius

DCP Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:52 AM

I guess the mouthpeice size and brand are much more restricted in the DCI corps. Because none of the DCA corps have limits on anything but lacqure color.
"Never argue with an idiot; they will bring you down to their level and crush you with experiance."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please review Drum Corps Planet's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
The contents of this site are copyright (C) 2005-2010 DCP Partners, LLC and all rights are reserved. Requests for use may be directed to the DCP Office.
Drum Corps Planet™ and the DCP logo are trademarks of DCP Partners, LLC. All rights reserved. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.