Youtube Thread

I would! I would!

Good golly! That was amazing!

So much of Sparke's music would be AMAZING on the field!

EDIT: The horn soloist who opens the piece - what's he playing? A Euph? A trombonium?

Pretty sure that's called a tenor horn in the UK (in Eb I think). Same as an Alto horn here in the States.

Brass band music is so underplayed in drum corps. Wish we heard more of it. Oh well -- I can dream.

• Like 1

I would! I would!

Good golly! That was amazing!

So much of Sparke's music would be AMAZING on the field!

EDIT: The horn soloist who opens the piece - what's he playing? A Euph? A trombonium?

That's an Alto Horn... Or an "E" fer....

http://en.wikipedia....b_Alto_Horn.jpg

Eb_Alto_Horn.jpg

Garfield, OSU used to use them in their marching band instead of mellophones... I don't know why they switched, but I played one there in Spring Band and Basketball band...

Pretty fun!

Edit:

Here's why:

"The instrumentation of the OSUMB has been modified twice during Woods’ tenure. In the mid-1990s, he searched the globe for a new E-flat alto horn, but few manufacturers produced it and no models could be found that were suitable for the band. So in 1996, both rows of E-flat alto horns were replaced with F Horns (also known as 'mellophones'), which are more widely available and have a much brighter sound. In 1999, he added several bass trombones to augment the low-brass sounds of the band."

Retrieved from http://www.osu.edu/news/newsitem3237

Edited by jjeffeory

Future Corps was pretty cool when finals was in Orlando, and I get that they bring brass and drum performance to the Disney fans. But it wasn't drum corps any more than BLAST! was drum corps (cue those whiners who say drum corps is just marching band, blah, blah, blah). "Drum Corps" is just a shortened version of "Drum and Bugle Corps", and that idiom is mostly known for parades and field competiions, if it's known at all. Disney-goers who saw Future Corps, mostly, had no idea that they came from the field after many years of personal performance. It was cool, and they were talented, but it wasn't drum corps, and it did little to educate people as to what "Drum Corps" really is, so they did little more than provide entertainment for those paying them. Only dinos remember Future Corps.

But mostly you said it yourself: They were here, and now they're not. But Drum Corps still is. What's that say? It's proof that Future Corps and Magic Kingdom Korps were not drum corps.

For the record, I stopped to watch them at length any chance I got at Disney. They were even at other finals in the souvie areas a couple of times. Amazingly talented kids, and I miss that they're not around anymore.

:doh:

What you have said here makes about as much relevant sense as the following mush...

Fire engines are red because they have 8 wheels and 4 people ride it.

8 and 4 is 12.

Twelve inches is a foot.

A foot is 30cm.

30cm is a ruler.

Queen Elizabeth was a ruler.

Queen Elizabeth was the name of a ship that sailed in the sea.

Fish swim in the sea.

Fish have fins.

The Finns fought the Russians.

And that's why Fire Engines are Red.

Blah! The"Future Corps" or the "Magic Kingdom Korps played on "drums and bugles". G BUGLES as a matter of fact. But who cares? I doubt anyone (besides you) gives a dried cat crap what you "call" those two groups. The fact is, they are awesome videos that carry just as much relevance to the activity as anything else posted on this thread.

Oh, and as for your reasoning that the "Disney Corps are not drum corps because they no longer exist? WTH is the relevant logic in that statement? Completely irrelevant to anything. If we go by your reasoning on that issue, I guess the 27th Lancers were not a drum corps either because they no longer exist? Blah! Who cares? Call them what you want. Not the point at all.

Oh, and lastly. The Disney Corps were not "kids". They were pros.

:rolleyes:

Edited by bmjfelts1988
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

July 6, 2004. This is an early version of the new ending. Fairly dirty given the time of the season and due to the fact that we had just learned this in the days prior this the recording.

No drums or guard.

Edited by JayM
  • Like 4