* Anaheim Kingsmen, Anaheim, California

* Bayonne Bridgemen, Bayonne, New Jersey

* Magic of Orlando, Orlando, Florida

* Marauders, Longview/Kelso, Washington

* Sky Ryders, Hutchinson, Kansas

* Star of Indiana, Bloomington, Indiana

* Suncoast Sound, Tampa Bay, Florida

* Velvet Knights, Anaheim/Buena Park/Santa Ana, California

Since the demise of those corps above... other corps have been created of have stepped up to actually be able to play on the same level.

Regardless of the number of active corps, there has never been the number of high-quality corps that there is now.

Quality > Quantity

Interesting that you saw and heard "all" of the corps on the list (over 1000 of them) to be able to make such an authoritative evaluation concerning the quality of their horn lines and whittle it down to nine corps. You, sir, must be quite old and the greatest expert who has ever graced this earth. We all bow down to you as the wise sage on the pinnacle that you sit upon.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 9

Interesting that you saw and heard "all" of the corps on the list (over 1000 of them) to be able to make such an authoritative evaluation concerning the quality of their horn lines and whittle it down to nine corps. You, sir, must be quite old and the greatest expert who has ever graced this earth. We all bow down to you as the wise sage on the pinnacle that you sit upon.

Thank you Stu, my response was no where near post-able.

Corps from that list that could actually play in tune:

well, not to burst your balloon, but some of the current Corps that have used singers couldn't carry a tune worth a lick, imo. Some of their singing was off key and as flat as a pancake.

or waffles.

Edited by BRASSO

"I never look back, dahling! It distracts from the now."

-- Edna Mode

"Study the past if you would divine the future." – Confucius

"One cannot and must not try to erase the past merely because it does not fit the present." – Golda Meir

"We have to do with the past only as we can make it useful to the present and the future." – Fredrick Douglas

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

"History is written by the victors."

"History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it."

Sir Wisnton S. Churchill

Elphaba

Please trust me, Stu, when I mention that I don't make a habit of defending danielray. Perhaps he could have been clearer by stating those were some or a few of the corps from the list that he knew could play in tune. I believe he meant those were corps that he was personally familiar with that could accomplish that task. He perhaps left himself open to criticism by not being more explicit, but I sense he meant those were just some corps of which he was aware fit his personal criteria. Granted, I more than understand, based on some of his prior postings, how someone could think otherwise.

Please trust me, Stu, when I mention that I don't make a habit of defending danielray. Perhaps he could have been clearer by stating those were some or a few of the corps from the list that he knew could play in tune. I believe he meant those were corps that he was personally familiar with that could accomplish that task. He perhaps left himself open to criticism by not being more explicit, but I sense he meant those were just some corps of which he was aware fit his personal criteria. Granted, I more than understand, based on some of his prior postings, how someone could think otherwise.

Sorry, Michael, but trust me; the D-Ray meant it the exact way he posted it (his first line drips with his condescending sarcasm). He can attempt to spin it all he wants, but he truly deep down sees no real (DCI) value in any corps which cannot perform up to his standards; and that includes the thousands of corps listed by the OP. To him the Appleknockers, the Audubon Bon Bons, etc... are mere fodder for his condescending intellect, and they are not part of the rich heritage of DCI to him but corps to be scoffed at. And I did not pull this out of thin air either; his disrespect for most all DCI corps which are not to his standards is confirmed by reading many, many, many, of his postings within other threads.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 3

Mike, it's apparent that Dan has thick skin, so I don't think it's out of line to hold him accountable for this or try to sugar-coat it (I think that might be as much an insult):

Corps from that list that could actually play in tune:

That's a long list, Dan, and quite a stretch, so I'll presume there's a touch of bravado in your statement. Surely some of these played "in tune".

Since the demise of those corps above... other corps have been created of have stepped up to actually be able to play on the same level.

Regardless of the number of active corps, there has never been the number of high-quality corps that there is now.

Quality > Quantity

Your comment seems incongruent and inconsistent with your prior posts, where-in you've stated your opinion that only 10 to 15 corps are worth supporting through DCI. But you say 7 or 8 corps have replaced your list here and have risen to some level. What level? That of being able to play in tune, or rather being able to compete against those you list who are gone, or have risen to be able to compete with today's Worthy-15?

A clarification would be helpful.

And your last statement is un-convincing because the definition of "high-quality" is a subjective impression that's different even among judges, let alone the general fandom. Your definition of high quality is numbers-based, either placement or revenue.

Not everyone sees it that way. For some, quantity is quality.

Sorry, Michael, but trust me; the D-Ray meant it the exact way he posted it (his first line drips with his condescending sarcasm). He can attempt to spin it all he wants, but he truly deep down sees no real (DCI) value in any corps which cannot perform up to his standards; and that includes the thousands of corps listed by the OP. To him the Appleknockers, the Audubon Bon Bons, etc... are mere fodder for his condescending intellect, and they are not part of the rich heritage of DCI to him but corps to be scoffed at. And I did not pull this out of thin air either; his disrespect for most all DCI corps which are not to his standards is confirmed by reading many, many, many, of his postings within other threads.

Point taken, but I was undergoing a moment of charity when I wrote my prior response. I'll try not to let that happen again. :tongue: