New to World Class?

I am absolutely opposed to DCI as an organization having the power to either move a corps up or down between WC and OC. Why should they have this kind of authority? A corps should have the ability to select which class it wants to compete in, and if they don't have the organization or resources to succeed, that is all on them. This is a matter of allowing "water to seek its own level", imo. If they sign up for WC, they accept responsibility for all that entails.

I give you this to ponder: What should have DCI done with Boston Crusaders in 1979 when it has only 25 horns? Or again in 1983 and it had only 19 horns (and the whole drum corps travelled on ONE BUS)? The corps organization was marginal and it had no money--in fact, volunteer staff were chipping in for the bus bill out of their own pockets....Boston never dropped down a division. In their minds, they were a "top" drum corps, and that was that.

Should they have been made to? The full-sized, vastly more organized and better funded drum corps around them were all much better "models", and today none of these heavy hitters survives....which makes one wonder, should DCI be in the business of deciding who goes where at all?

I am absolutely opposed to DCI as an organization having the power to either move a corps up or down between WC and OC. Why should they have this kind of authority? A corps should have the ability to select which class it wants to compete in, and if they don't have the organization or resources to succeed, that is all on them. This is a matter of allowing "water to seek its own level", imo. If they sign up for WC, they accept responsibility for all that entails.

I give you this to ponder: What should have DCI done with Boston Crusaders in 1979 when it has only 25 horns? Or again in 1983 and it had only 19 horns (and the whole drum corps travelled on ONE BUS)? The corps organization was marginal and it had no money--in fact, volunteer staff were chipping in for the bus bill out of their own pockets....Boston never dropped down a division. In their minds, they were a "top" drum corps, and that was that.

Should they have been made to? The full-sized, vastly more organized and better funded drum corps around them were all much better "models", and today none of these heavy hitters survives....which makes one wonder, should DCI be in the business of deciding who goes where at all?

I would agree with Craiga if, and I mean if, DCI would drop the Major League moniker because that term has a certain high qualitative meaning; and the WC classification should therefore represent that Major League title whereas the OC classification should represent the minor league. When the outside world sees a Major League they expect to see one of the best x number (17, 20, 25); otherwise it is not anywhere close to being a Major League. This is fair because all DCI corps are allowed to compete on Thursday Prelims in which they can earn a Friday WC classification. So, eliminate the Major League moniker and I will agree with Craiga, but as long as the WC is being promoted as a Major League the WC corps should be the best x number of corps in DCI.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

What's the rule that limits the number of WC corps to its present number?

Could it be that the biggest inhibitor to an OC corps advancing to WC is that the DCI BOD doesn't want to split the financial pie among a greater number of WC participants?

It could be an inhibitor. As I am told, the bar was higher for Surf and higher still for Teal. Assuming all 23 WC corps remain, I would not be surprised if the bar raises even higher for corps #24.

But the bigger issue today is less corps that are ready and willing to move up. Back in 2005, five corps petitioned for promotion. Hard to imagine seeing that happen again.

I am absolutely opposed to DCI as an organization having the power to either move a corps up or down between WC and OC. Why should they have this kind of authority?

Well, what DCI really has is the authority to move corps in or out of membership status. It's just that membership has become very closely tied to WC vs. OC. Hasn't always been that way, and it need not stay that way in the future.

• Like 1