Order of Corps for DCA Prelims

When did Brass move to Wisconsin?

I believe it was sometime last season.... something about the cheese bringing good luck? I think thats why they won. :tongue:

I believe it was sometime last season.... something about the cheese bringing good luck? I think thats why they won. :tongue:

I wasn't there for DCA last year. When they were announced as winners did they do the Camp Randall leap? :tongue:

In 1982 Bush went on next to last in prelims. As Tom alluded to, prelims and finals were on the same day (Sunday) and the associate corps went on first, then the block of member corps, then new corps trying to get into DCA.

In 1986 Bush went on last in prelims because back then we were drawing for positions in prelims. At the suggestion of our director Mike Olszewski, I drew our piece of paper out of the bowl. The number was zero, and for a few frantic seconds some corps decided that we should go on before the corps that drew number one, but Mickey stated no, zero was designated as number ten, since there was no "10" in the bowl. The rest is history.

One thing for sure, as far as I'm concerned... I do not miss the "two shows in one day" prelims-finals format at all.

It made for a very, very long day for everyone involved... corps, show staff, fans.

The two-day format... which began in 1989... was a big step in the right direction, IMO.

• Like 1

One thing for sure, as far as I'm concerned... I do not miss the "two shows in one day" prelims-finals format at all.

It made for a very, very long day for everyone involved... corps, show staff, fans.

The two-day format... which began in 1989... was a big step in the right direction, IMO.

I agree, and in 93 with the rain out that led to a sunny day, it was like "we gotta go back to what we did last year"

I keep griping about it but 1976 we came in 11th and had to be recorded standstill style between Prelims and Finals (Guelph Royalaires were 12th). Non-DCA members must have been on last that year as we were recorded about 45 minutes or so after we came off the Prelims field. To say we were flat would be to put it nicely and no crowd to play for except the guard didn't help. Few years back got a recording of us the week before at 1976 RCA.. talk about the difference between night and day......

And the older I get... Prelims/Finals the same day and the hotel being 20+ minutes away wouldnt' do it.....

I keep griping about it but 1976 we came in 11th and had to be recorded standstill style between Prelims and Finals (Guelph Royalaires were 12th). Non-DCA members must have been on last that year as we were recorded about 45 minutes or so after we came off the Prelims field. To say we were flat would be to put it nicely and no crowd to play for except the guard didn't help. Few years back got a recording of us the week before at 1976 RCA.. talk about the difference between night and day......

And the older I get... Prelims/Finals the same day and the hotel being 20+ minutes away wouldnt' do it.....

doing both in one day was hard. getting up for prelims and then again at night was a tall order. i think most corps just did what they could for prelims and saved the big show for the night. i know we did. we added all kinds of stuff just for finals. but the next day i was alway's wiped out.

There is a website I found to have not only the "order of appearance" but also, the recap scores for many shows through the years. On the website, there are DCA and DCI scores dating back to 1972.

www.fromthepressbox.com

:cool:

doing both in one day was hard. getting up for prelims and then again at night was a tall order. i think most corps just did what they could for prelims and saved the big show for the night. i know we did. we added all kinds of stuff just for finals. but the next day i was alway's wiped out.

I remember how hard it was doing prelims/finals on the same day in DCI in the 80's, I can't imagine doing that in DCA now. Mad props to anyone who did, especially at my age now :)

For the big guns who knew they would be in Finals (unless they really screwed up in Prelims) that's understandable. For the on the bubble corps like I was with for almost my whole time, Prelims was the show you really had to go full out. We were either pushing like Hades to get into Finals or working like Hades not to get knocked out of Finals. LOL, late 70s always had a new Quebec corps showing up every other year that would bump someone out. And going by what would happen at RCA shows was a crap shoot as the more execution based corps (like Westshore) would jump over the more GE-based corps at DCA.