Marching drums weight too much.

floatdude

I like the idea of lighter drums, especially for young kids. Forget corps, but it boggles my mind when a high school band has to rock a full large six pack for the tenors and a giant 30" bass.....ESPECIALLY schools that don't play notes or compete at a high level. Whats the point?

Several years ago Peavey (yes the amp company) came out with some drums. Not to get to far into it, but they teamed up with a guy that made drums with a "radial bridge". No lugs, just part of the shell that the rods would screw into. Sounds like the basis for your tenors? I've thought about this myself and have a few ideas....and I have to think the big drum companies have experimented with it as well.

10829pea.jpg

• Like 1

The drum shells are all carbon fiber and have the same length front and back as like a Pearl and Mapex quads.

Just one of these quads are louder than two normal heavy quads. But everyone says these sound like wooden drums.

The bearing edge and the lenght of the shell both front and back and tuning them right are the key to make them sound great.

So the tenors have an angle cut right? It kinda sounds like you are saying the length is the same front and back, making them straight across the bottom.

Two sets of tenors might not be double the loudness of one set, but I'm sure two is louder than one. You are stating that your carbon fiber drums are as loud as two standard wood drum of the same size? Have you measured this, or is this just your opinion?

Edited by jonnyboy

Yes the carbon fiber quad have an angle cut, but the shape of the cut on the drum is different than Pearl but has the same length on the front and the same length on the back as Pearl does.

It give the drums a warmer sound with longer shell like Pearl

Yamaha quad cut make the drums sound to bright, as I tried that cut for R&D.

As Mapex's cut sound good too in carbon fiber.

The cut of the quad shell and the bearing edge is key for good sound quality.

The decimal meter tested the carbon fiber quads decimal level, they were almost twice as loud as a Pearl Championship quads.

Both were tested with Remo pinstripes.

Edited by floatdude
  • Like 1